IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > hossier fall classic
2/25/11, 1:17 PM   #11
Re: hossier fall classic
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
brownstown can't draw enough super late models so the run more crate late models now. in the 70's and 80's it was the premier late model track in the country.
Every time I was down there last year for a regular super late show it was a packed field. They would have at least 1 consi sometimes 2. With a lot of very good cars in the field.

2/25/11, 1:22 PM   #12
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
So other than Brownstown, that makes 4 races (there is 1 late model race at Kokomo as part of the Klash) in the entire season for winged sprints or late models. It's interesting that just outside of Indiana there are tracks like Eldora, Lima, Oakshade, Florence, Kankakee, Butler, etc. that have strong support for good late model and winged sprint car racing, but promotors in Indiana rarely ever bring in those classes to the race tracks here. I'm sure there will be many that will chime in by saying they don't draw enough cars or fans here, but I think you have to consider the effort put into making those shows successful by the promotors as well.
Sorry, I forgot about the Klash show in Kokomo. I also forgot the UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour will be at Tri State, Brownstown and Lincoln Park this year. Most promoters here in Indiana have traditional sprint cars as their headliners. Some have tried wing shows and late models on "off" nights but not much other than that. Obviously they feel comfortable in what they are scheduling and don't feel the need to venture outside that zone.

Also, as you mention, most tracks in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Kentucky run either late models or wing sprints. I guess if you really want to see them, you will have to drive a little for that type of racing.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2/25/11, 1:30 PM   #13
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
how many dirt races are there in indiana for winged sprints or late models in 2011?
:99:::99:::99::

3 members like this post: Downey44, jim goerge, SprintManDave
2/25/11, 1:34 PM   #14
smith19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Every time I was down there last year for a regular super late show it was a packed field. They would have at least 1 consi sometimes 2. With a lot of very good cars in the field.
on regular shows the crate cars were running with the supers. if they were getting full fields of supers why would they cut their shows in half. maybe chris nunn can help.

2/25/11, 4:30 PM   #15
Sandy Lowe

Twin Cities Raceway Park also has three super late model races:
April 1st - Friday night before the "No Way Out 40" sprint show
July 2nd
Sept. 4th - Ted Collins Memorial

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer
2/25/11, 5:33 PM   #16
jim goerge

Haubstadt has a night of the UMP late models whenever it is sorry not a fan of them but know they have one night of them :2:

2/25/11, 6:08 PM   #17
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Sorry, I forgot about the Klash show in Kokomo. I also forgot the UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour will be at Tri State, Brownstown and Lincoln Park this year. Most promoters here in Indiana have traditional sprint cars as their headliners. Some have tried wing shows and late models on "off" nights but not much other than that. Obviously they feel comfortable in what they are scheduling and don't feel the need to venture outside that zone.

Also, as you mention, most tracks in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Kentucky run either late models or wing sprints. I guess if you really want to see them, you will have to drive a little for that type of racing.
I forgot about those summer nationals races too. The 2 summer nationals races I went to last year at LPS and Kokomo were both fantastic. And you are right, its not unreasonably far to go to one of those other tracks outside Indiana. I hope I'm not alone in wanting to give my money to my local tracks, and it is somewhat disappointing to see a lot of them run the same program almost the entire year. The non-wing sprints put on a great show, but I've noticed that many tracks have cut out almost all programs with a headline class other than non-wing sprints. A lot of really good shows are unfortunately going away.

2/25/11, 7:23 PM   #18
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 23
Race Count Last Year: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Used to go to that show back in the day when it was a wicked fast 1/4 mile. One of the best races of the year always...............Then they changed the track..................
They changed the track to make it a "racing Showplace" and to have big shows! (Eldora). Had Woo Sprints, no more, WoO Late's, no more, DTWC, no More, Hoosier Fall Classic, no more. (maybe they'll all return someday) And of course the new track wasn''t going to hurt the local$.

2/25/11, 8:55 PM   #19
REH24

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanonwingthing View Post
They changed the track to make it a "racing Showplace" and to have big shows! (Eldora). Had Woo Sprints, no more, WoO Late's, no more, DTWC, no More, Hoosier Fall Classic, no more. (maybe they'll all return someday) And of course the new track wasn''t going to hurt the local$.
I always wonder how long before someone would say something in reference to the new track. Don't get me wrong The 'Burg as it is now is the "Show Place" of all tracks by all means, but to me it will never take the place of the old 'Burg. Nothing was better than seeing hard racing where a car would go off the track between 3 and 4 and appear flying back onto the track like out of no where. To me it is hard to watch a race at the new 'Burg because I enjoyed the old so much and hard to adjust to new changes. But then again we should be thankful we have the track no matter what because it could have been an industrial park now.

REH

2 members like this post: babcock14d, SPRINTCAR
2/25/11, 9:51 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im going totally against the grain here.........

I loved the old burg on a fast two groved heavy track, Which was rare and most nights I've seen two year olds running around faster than Sprints went around the place. The new track is always fast What I find is that when its narrow, the racings not that good. When its wide and still got a good cushion. Katy Bar the Door! Run's like Demons 15th to first MSCS win and the following nights JS 8th to win were outstanding nights.

Wings? I honestly gotta say, At the HFC last year, The wing racing was damn good. They actually got around the track too fast and had to get out sometimes which made the racing good.

The problem and I've said it before. Wings came to Burg and other indiana tracks very rarely. Most of the Hotbed is over 100 miles away (Limaland) and honestly. I think Wing Racing has become watered down between 410-360-305.

Not only that, Fans don't know half of them, I'll drive a hundred miles or more to see JS, DD, DG, LJ and other USAC regulars cause they are at my home track more than once a year, I know em, Met em and love em. Add to that the fact the All Stars are not nearly the All Stars of the 80s-90s with a fifteen car following...............

See you in 52 days, Its the only place within a hundred miles I can see NW sprint racing from Mason OH and I don't see Waynesfield getting the support it did

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > hossier fall classic