IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > STARS Midget Series _ Grundy County Speedway
11/17/10, 6:55 PM   #1
STARS Midget Series _ Grundy County Speedway
TJ Domark

Short Track Auto Racing Series, LLC becomes new sanctioning body for the Grundy County Speedway Midget Auto Racing events to be held on Saturday evenings throughout the summer of 2011.

Short Track Auto Racing Series or “STARS” has become the new sanctioning body to run the Saturday night midget auto racing program at Grundy County Speedway in Morris Illinois. STARS, LLC is comprised of 11 principles including local racing experts Mike Gugliemucci, Bob Guess, Tim Delrose and Bernie Myers. The founders of STARS are all local individuals with a passion for racing and all want to see Chicago-area midget auto racing grow back into what it once was. “We have been working closely with the Grundy County Fair Board and some key sponsors in anticipation of this possibility. We are excited about the opportunities that have been created for our organization and midget auto racing. We are looking forward to an exciting season” commented Bernie Myers.

“Midget auto racing has a great tradition here in the Chicago-area and the Midwest. We will work hard to create an environment enjoyable for both the racers and the fans” said Bob Guess. “We want to become one of the options for a family night out, hoping to bring great entertainment at an affordable price.”

“We are looking to start many new traditions and memories here at STARS” says Mike Gugliemucci “Racing has always been a family sport that has been passed on from father to son. Some of that has been lost because of the expenses associated with the sport. While racing will never be cheap we hope to help to curb some of the costs in an effort have many racers return to the Grundy County Speedway on Saturday evenings this summer.”

STARS currently is putting together a tentative schedule and are working on all the other ingredients to put together a successful 2011 racing season. The first race of the season is scheduled for Saturday, June 11th.

The tentative schedule is as follows:

Saturday, May 21 - Open practice for all divisions
Saturday, June 11 – First Race
Saturday, June 18
Saturday, June 25
Grundy County Fair Race July 2 - 4 TBD
Saturday, July 16
Saturday, July 30
Saturday, August 6
Saturday, August 20
Saturday, August 27
Saturday, September 3
Saturday, September 17

Established in 2010 and headquartered out of the Grundy County Speedway in Morris, Illinois, the goal of STARS, LLC is to provide a safe and competitive format by which its participants can compete in the sport of auto racing while providing great entertainment for the fans. Auto Racing has a vast history here in the Chicagoland area, it is the organization’s mission to preserve and spark those memories while starting new ones for the future racers and fans to enjoy.
For more information regarding sponsorship opportunities, competitor participation, or event tickets contact STARS LLC at shorttrackauto@aol.com or contact Bernie Myers at (815) 931 4408.

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, Vukie
11/17/10, 7:06 PM   #2
Re: STARS Midget Series _ Grundy County Speed
Vukie

TJ or Jim, will the IRS sportsman midgets be on the card with the new STARS schedule? Hope so!

11/17/10, 7:15 PM   #3
TJ Domark

Vukie:
I honestly do not know but I really hope so, I still have alot of friends in the IRS series and I miss watching them run, they put on a great show!

TJ

11/17/10, 7:21 PM   #4
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Domark View Post
Vukie:
I honestly do not know but I really hope so, I still have alot of friends in the IRS series and I miss watching them run, they put on a great show!

TJ
It was a great show a few years back.

2/13/11, 12:45 PM   #5
Sprinter 79

To whom it may concern.

Midget Racing in and around the chicagoland area up until the last couple of years has been pretty good. We are hoping that you folks can turn around the current situation so that we can once again enjoy Midget racing at Grundy County. We used to attend Midget races weekly, starting at the Stadium many, many years ago. We would like to be able to take the family to Grundy and witness a great midget show once again. We have not gone to a Midget race in probably 3 years, save the Last Stand at Joliet. Please, preserve the sport that we love. We are pulling for you and wish you luck in your pursuit to once agian provide an exciting form of racing entertainment to the masses.

Jim Clark

2/13/11, 1:10 PM   #6
Anderson36

To answer the first question of the IRS Series. Because of contractual obligations that currently exist with the IRS Series they WILL only be available for the final 3 race weekends at Grundy County Speedway with the STARS midget organization. Hopefully the 2012 season will see more participation.

The 2011 season has already shaped up to be better than any of the past 4-5 years. There has been open contact between the owners and participants, there's been a "member's" meeting already held, there have already been series sponsors signed on and contigency sponsors put in place. These points alone have shown the new group realize it takes a little "elbow grease" to make things work.

Their website should be up and running soon, but they can be followed on Facebook and Twitter.

It's going to take participation from the competitors and fans alike to make this work. By all means, give them a shot.

July 2nd, will be the first USAC National midget event at the speedway. I know of atleast 5-6 longtime competitors at Grundy that are looking to give the Usac National guys a run for the money.

Hope this answers some questions....
Jim Anderson

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
2/13/11, 4:09 PM   #7
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

If they could get a race at Illiana in the middle of the season; that would be great.

2/13/11, 6:52 PM   #8
Anderson36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
If they could get a race at Illiana in the middle of the season; that would be great.
Nathan,

Don Kenyon and his midget series USSA will be at Illiana on August 3rd.

Thanks for the interest and the angry face.. LOL

Jim Anderson

2/13/11, 9:32 PM   #9
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson36 View Post
Nathan,

Don Kenyon and his midget series USSA will be at Illiana on August 3rd.

Thanks for the interest and the angry face.. LOL

Jim Anderson
Yea I seen that. I was thinking maybe a USSA vs STARS race would be a coo thing to try. O well maybe in the future.

2/13/11, 11:59 PM   #10
Anderson36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Yea I seen that. I was thinking maybe a USSA vs STARS race would be a coo thing to try. O well maybe in the future.
HOPEFULLY in the near future. These groups in the midwest need each other.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > STARS Midget Series _ Grundy County Speedway