IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Peoria Speedway Has New Ownership
1/5/11, 4:51 PM   #1
Peoria Speedway Has New Ownership
Vukie

PEORIA, Ill. — Peoria Speedway, one of the longest continuously running tracks in the nation, has been sold by owner Sherrie Hamilton to 28-year-old Brimfield, Ill., resident Curt Mottaz. The deal was finalized on Monday.

Hamilton’s recent health issues forced the sale of the track to Mottaz, who leased the facility last August and put on the Summer Shootout for the Sprint Invaders, a 360 sprint-car series.

Mottaz promoted the race, his first promotional effort, and the result was one of the largest crowds of the year at the quarter-mile dirt oval. Mottaz is a former go-kart racer and is now one of the youngest race track owners in the country.

“I want to thank Sherrie Hamilton for this tremendous opportunity,” said Mottaz. “I’m really excited to get started and we hope to make Peoria Speedway the best track in the Midwest.”

Mottaz has created a new logo for the track, with T-shirts and sweatshirts for sale during the Allen Automotive Trade Show Jan. 15 at Expo Gardens in Peoria. Mottaz will also be meeting and greeting drivers and fans and a tentative schedule will be released for the 2011 racing season. A new website is in the works and is expected to be completed by March.

The quarter-mile dirt track opened in 1965.

Short URL: http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/?p=18591

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, TWO FIVE
1/5/11, 5:55 PM   #2
Re: Peoria Speedway Has New Ownership
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I would love to see more sprint races up there. I have fond memories of attending a few stock car races there back in the mid-60s. Racy little joint. Here's hopin'.

1/5/11, 6:12 PM   #3
sprinthead

There is another report out there where the new owners states that the sprint cars will be back and they are going to be running POWRi midgets there as well. I found that report on the 4m message board.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan
1/5/11, 10:04 PM   #4
Tripp22

This is a video from last year 360 race. Yes it was winged. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D30KnuyETo
Any sprint car race in ILL I NO IS. Is great for us.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, skids59
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Peoria Speedway Has New Ownership