IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's The rule??
12/20/10, 6:06 PM   #41
Re: Where's The rule??
The Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHess View Post
Hey Texan, say your driver leads every lap of a 25 lap race. He is leading by a half a lap. He takes the checkered flag when 2nd and 3rd get together in turn 3. The leader has already taken the checkered flag and is now in turns 1&2. With your logic, he is going to have to run more laps to get the win?

If so then the 4th place car which, is now 2nd, gets close enough in turn 1 to nerf him out of the way. So he already has won but now gets taken out because everyone not crossing the checkered flags. That's what you want to see happen?
I haven't given an answer to the problem, and don't know the answer. I am just saying the rule that is in place now is fair to the winner, but sets the groundwork to put the screws to everyone else.

To me, if I am running 5th to get a transfer spot to the show, my 5th place position is just as important to me as the winner's is to him.

When the leader takes the checkers under green, positions can change until every car has crossed the finish line. The field isn't frozen when the leader takes the checkers. Again, I don't know the answer. But, most big races are video taped, and the fair thing would be to have it set up where you could check video to determine positions when the checkers are displayed along with yellow or red, or heck, I am not against taking whatever cars have finished off the track and lining whatever is left up according to their scored position on the last completed green flag lap, and letting them race that last lap to settle things.

To me, the way things are now is just not finishing the race. Sure, 1 or maybe 2 or 3 cars actually finished, but that was all. And that is not good. Just because that is the "way it is", or the "way it's been", doesn't mean it's right. JMO.

12/20/10, 6:27 PM   #42
TEH

Don,

Here is the wording from the 2010 USAC rule book which discusses the yellow flag situation.

B. If a yellow flag is displayed after the leader receives the checkered flag, each car crossing the finish line under yellow
flag conditions will be scored in their position as they were scored on the last officially completed race lap. Any cars
involved in the incident causing the yellow flag will be placed at the end of all cars running on their lap in the final
standings.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Mud Packer
12/20/10, 6:41 PM   #43
DonMoore10

After reading the last several posts, let me say this again. The backbone of any racing promotion is how many people can you get to come to a race and support the expenses that are involved in a successful promotion. We need more fans. These solutions that I'm reading are way too complicated for the average fans to understand. Fans want to be entertained at a race, not have to sit there and think out some complicated rules. If you want to attract more people, you better make it simple to understand or you will lose the crowd. IMO, almost everyone there at DuQuoin thought the first 5 finishers in the 4th qualifier were the five going to the feature. Watching the finish, I had no reason to believe otherwise. Even though it may seem logical to the racers of how this works, there will be many, many race fans in the stands who won't understand it nor will they understand seeing the checkered flag wave only to find out the order they saw cross the finish line is not the final result. Why do you want to make this a rocket science project that people will not understand. When people don't understand it, that's reason to never come back again. Scott Baue of Leaders Edge had one of the best posts on this thread. Go back and read it. Any fan could understand what he suggests.

Tom: Thanks for posting that rule. At least it's published by USAC so one knows before they show up. But, IMO, the rule is too complicated for the average fan to understand. They are hearing something different than what they saw which is confusing, IMO. And just because it's published does not make it a good rule. I can tell you that for many years there were some very unhappy people at the Springfield mile when they would finish the race UNDER A YELLOW FLAG. Almost the entire audience booed this procedure and I'm sure drove a lot of fans away. Last time I was there, people weren't crawling over each other to get in.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 12/20/10 at 6:49 PM.

12/20/10, 6:44 PM   #44
Rpracing1

I'm just a fan, and I understand the rule quite clearly, thank you.

12/20/10, 6:50 PM   #45
thebus79h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
I'm just a fan, and I understand the rule quite clearly, thank you.
I'm a fan, and a driver occasionally, and if you are in the know, sure, it's "easy" to understand.

Someone sees something on the internet about a racetrack, and they check it out, and then understand nothing. That's what he's talking about. It is overly complicated.

It's simple, every car has to finish the lap for it to be a lap. If it reverts back to 19, then guess what, it it's a green and white at the same time. Why isn't it this way?

3 members like this post: K-Dawg30, mod4s, Need For Speed
12/20/10, 6:58 PM   #46
DonMoore10

thebus79... you make way too much sense!!!!! Some of the people on here need to teach a class sometime and try to get the audience to understand something that seems very simple. Someone once said that research shows that the human mind only absorbs about 20% of what they hear or experience.

1 member likes this post: K-Dawg30
12/20/10, 7:05 PM   #47
BrentTFunk

Mr. Moore, I was not aware of your situation Sat night. For what is worth I appreciate the effort you made to get to the track, and the fact you hired a very good driver. I know it is not worth much, but thanks.

12/20/10, 7:15 PM   #48
Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenttfunk View Post
mr. Moore, i was not aware of your situation sat night. For what is worth i appreciate the effort you made to get to the track, and the fact you hired a very good driver. I know it is not worth much, but thanks.
off topic...

12/20/10, 7:20 PM   #49
Tim Clauson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus79h View Post
I'm a fan, and a driver occasionally, and if you are in the know, sure, it's "easy" to understand.

Someone sees something on the internet about a racetrack, and they check it out, and then understand nothing. That's what he's talking about. It is overly complicated.

It's simple, every car has to finish the lap for it to be a lap. If it reverts back to 19, then guess what, it it's a green and white at the same time. Why isn't it this way?
Billy, if a car is 3 laps down in a 20 lap race will the winner then have to run a 23 lap race to his (the lapper) 20 to be declared the winner?

Tim

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/20/10, 7:26 PM   #50
DonMoore10

theBus79 actually means that every car running on the checkered lap must complete that lap without a caution, then the race is finished when the last car crosses the finish line on the checkered lap.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where's The rule??