IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A few thoughts on the 4 crown
9/26/10, 7:32 PM   #1
A few thoughts on the 4 crown
racephoto1

I went to Eldora for the first time this year. I have avoided the place due to the dust conditions, and I guess they haven't improved. If they have, it must have been horrorific before. They have spent a lot of money on facility upgrades, I wish they would spend some on the track itself.

The racing was the usual high against the fence and fast, and my congratulations to Coons, Jones, and Clauson. Watching those guys run against the fence like that ,for the whole feature is impressive. It is something I would never attempt.

It was nice to go , but if the place doesn't improve surface wise, I will be a oce a year visitor.Yes, I know its Eldora, but you can only live on your nname so long.For me at least it is wearing thin.

9/26/10, 8:06 PM   #2
Re: A few thoughts on the 4 crown
E.P.

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 17

I have been a frequent critic of the racing surface at Eldora the last 5-6 years or so. I will say last night was the first time in the same time frame that the track was not a dust bowl during hotlaps. So from that point of view things improved greatly. Overall I thought the track was racy. A little narrow on entry as Corndog alluded too during an interview but the conditions gave me hope and a general belief that things are headed the right direction. Cudos to Larry Kemp and staff.

9/27/10, 12:05 PM   #3
SPRINTCAR

I did not think it was bad as it is a dirt surface
Last edited by SPRINTCAR; 9/27/10 at 12:07 PM. Reason: icons

9/27/10, 12:15 PM   #4
ThrottleHead

It was awesome to hear Chad Cunningham on the P.A. Saturday night calling the races. I thought he did his usual excellent job. Yea there were a few mistakes but everybody does from time to time! Kudos to Chad who fought the nerves and did a great job!

I was disappointed with the surface Saturday night. It has to be extremely difficult to turn a track around one day after a major race and have it fast and racey. I know it was not thru lack of effort.... I was up partying in the campground till almost 3am Saturday morning and the track lights were still on.... the crews were doing track prep. They have a job I do not envy thats for sure!

Congrats to Coondog on the midget win and BS for the Crown win. It was great to see Cottle in the Crown car also! Also it was great to see the Wild Child throw the slider to Whiney (oops i meant Swindell) and go on to win! The voice is still shot from yelling at that and yelling when he won.

The crowd size was a bit disappointing..... but overall a pretty good weekend of racing! I wish there had been some time to do track prep before the features Saturday night....

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/27/10, 2:00 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My thoughts on the weekend.
WoO Better than I expected but except for Kinser in the heats, The heats sucked as usual car, 100ft car, 100ft car.

I agree with Don, Sammy is a big crybaby and to blame the car wing after having a open red while he was still in the lead and not changing it. ITS HIS OWN DAMN FAULT or Jac's just that good

The surface friday? IDK, I wouldn't say its tacky but it isn't hard slick either. one thing was it was the smoothest dirt track I'd ever seen after walking on it after, It used to ripple pretty bad.

Saturday, IDK it was a good show, BUT GROUP QUALIFYING SUCKS ASS! Put the newbies out there with cars 50mph faster and see what happens. I know if I know in advance that group qualifying is going on, Im going elsewhere.

What kinda amazed me about saturday is the big difference in speed of some champ cars at the start was nullified at the end. Lappers were as fast as leaders.

As far as crowd size? There were more in the main grandstand saturday than friday for sure but I don't know if it was much different. Pretty much what I expected for a late sept race.

9/27/10, 10:55 PM   #6
Gee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles nungester View Post
my thoughts on the weekend.
Woo better than i expected but except for kinser in the heats, the heats sucked as usual car, 100ft car, 100ft car.

I agree with don, sammy is a big crybaby and to blame the car wing after having a open red while he was still in the lead and not changing it. Its his own damn fault or jac's just that good

the surface friday? Idk, i wouldn't say its tacky but it isn't hard slick either. One thing was it was the smoothest dirt track i'd ever seen after walking on it after, it used to ripple pretty bad.

Saturday, idk it was a good show, but group qualifying sucks ass! Put the newbies out there with cars 50mph faster and see what happens. I know if i know in advance that group qualifying is going on, im going elsewh

what kinda amazed me about saturday is the big difference in speed of some champ cars at the start was nullified at the end. Lappers were as fast as leaders.

As far as crowd size? There were more in the main grandstand saturday than friday for sure but i don't know if it was much different. Pretty much what i expected for a late sept race.
sthu..... Sound familiar?

9/27/10, 11:00 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee2 View Post
sthu..... Sound familiar?
That was refering to you trolling trying to get a rise out of any non winged fan. FYI I went to both and enjoyed both equally, You on the other hand had to bash the wingless so STHU.

If I was trolling, Id post something like this of when OUTLAWS DIDN'T NEED A CRUTCH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_TgwogxXrM

2 members like this post: dirtracer74, jim goerge
9/27/10, 11:06 PM   #8
Gee2

10-4 good buddy...
Last edited by Gee2; 9/27/10 at 11:09 PM.

9/28/10, 2:03 AM   #9
Need For Speed

I went Sat., and I'm not sure when/if I go back to Eldora.

During hot laps I had my hopes up, but that faded during the heats.

I thought the features were boring..........

I'm not blaming the drivers, they can only try to do the best they can on an ice skating rink.

It was almost like watching a winged race.

Proof:
Midget feature: Just 2 attempts to pass for the lead, the last 2 laps. Rest of the time Coons is -gone-, everybody else throwing rediculous slide jobs just to try to pass somebody.
Sounds like a wing race.

Sprint feature: Not one single attempt to pass for the lead, Levi is -gone-, everybody else throwing rediculous slide jobs just to try to pass somebody.
Sounds like a wing race.

Champ Car feature: Not one single attempt to pass for the lead, BC is -gone-, everybody else throwing rediculous slide jobs just to try to pass somebody.
Sounds like a wing race.

And, to make it sound like a wing race even more, all 3 winners started on the front row!

I'm glad that Hmiel, Clarke, Windom, and Hendrick all climbed out of their cars.

Apparently Windom got his bell run in the collision with Clarke, because it took him a while just to get up and sit on the top of the cage. Has anybody heard what was wrong, and if he is OK??

9/28/10, 2:18 AM   #10
ctsprintfanatic

I spoke to Chris yesterday, and he said he has a sore knee and ankle.I think it just rattled his cage.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A few thoughts on the 4 crown