IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > US 24 Midget clash
9/20/10, 1:18 PM   #21
Re: US 24 Midget clash
buckeyeguy03

anyone have photos or where to find them from saturday?

9/20/10, 3:02 PM   #22
rockstar5

I thought it was a good race. The uprights were fast enough to run with midgets. The only problem I had with them was that they were too slow under caution. This caused me to eat my brakes up and load up on fuel, which made the restarts difficult.

9/20/10, 3:10 PM   #23
9racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
If you saw the races at Twin Cities AND at 24 Speedway you'd be convinced that there's no reason why these cars can't run together. I dare anyone in the stands who is a casual midget fan to pick out which cars are mini's and which ones are conventional midgets. I have been around midgets almost my entire life and even I can't tell the difference unless you walk up to the cars and look at the left motor side.
I can tell you right now, they could tell the difference when the car is started.. to quote a buddy that ran this show, "Chainsaw compared to godzilla" lol..

Now, as far as us24 and "cycle" motors keeping up? yes, because its super small bull ring.. and here is a complaint from that again.. Midget drivers having trouble keeping the car from chugging under caution because uprights can roll at a slow speed.. with a clutch thats possible, while a midget how do you do that? I cant seem to find any videos or results from the cycles and midgets running together at twin cities.. Id be curious to see the lap times.

If thats the case, the cost of an upright mini is way less than a "full blown" and especially in the motor department, then why do you not own 1200s rather than midgets Don? Look at Kenyon midgets vs full size midgets.. on small size tracks (indoor) yea they can hold there own.. take it to say Anderson speedway, you have an ice cubes chance in hell..

9/20/10, 3:50 PM   #24
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9racing View Post
I can tell you right now, they could tell the difference when the car is started.. to quote a buddy that ran this show, "Chainsaw compared to godzilla" lol..

Now, as far as us24 and "cycle" motors keeping up? yes, because its super small bull ring.. and here is a complaint from that again.. Midget drivers having trouble keeping the car from chugging under caution because uprights can roll at a slow speed.. with a clutch thats possible, while a midget how do you do that? I cant seem to find any videos or results from the cycles and midgets running together at twin cities.. Id be curious to see the lap times.

If thats the case, the cost of an upright mini is way less than a "full blown" and especially in the motor department, then why do you not own 1200s rather than midgets Don? Look at Kenyon midgets vs full size midgets.. on small size tracks (indoor) yea they can hold there own.. take it to say Anderson speedway, you have an ice cubes chance in hell..
Its not how much power you have, its how much you get to the ground. If a mini sprint is getting 180 to the ground and a midget is only able to put 250ish down, and also factoring in the 250Lb weight difference, its not that far fetched. Besides It's not like there were any 360-400 HP USAC level midgets there.

9/20/10, 4:15 PM   #25
DonMoore10

For those that doubt that a mini can be competitive with a full midget, go back into IOW thread for the Twin Cities race which was held last Spring. You will find plenty of comments about the competitiveness at that race on a 3/8 mile track. FYI, you won't find anybody who thought they weren't, but go back and read anyway for the info.

9/20/10, 4:48 PM   #26
Colin25

At Montplier the mini's were compedative as well don't you think Don. Any time there is race such as this or any other just gives everyone a chance to run another night.

9/20/10, 5:15 PM   #27
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin25 View Post
At Montplier the mini's were compedative as well don't you think Don. Any time there is race such as this or any other just gives everyone a chance to run another night.
Yep, agreed!!

9/20/10, 6:57 PM   #28
9racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide22 View Post
Its not how much power you have, its how much you get to the ground. If a mini sprint is getting 180 to the ground and a midget is only able to put 250ish down, and also factoring in the 250Lb weight difference, its not that far fetched. Besides It's not like there were any 360-400 HP USAC level midgets there.
yes but you cant promote a race to assume 0 "usac" midgets will not show up.. if you promote this then it needs to be assumed that they will, because anythings possible.. And as for putting the power to the ground, if your midget is pulling the front wheels off the ground you are putting the power to it.. if its not and the track is dusty, a mini sprint is NOT putting all the power to it either.. and its not a 250 lb difference i believe minis are 725 or 750 and midgets are 900.. Another part, a cycle motor has on board clutch and atleast 2 gears if not 3.. 1 in a midget.. and you still have not answered the question Don, if they are that competitive why do you not own them.. You are if not number 1 very close to it in the "complaints of costs in midget racing" category..

Now, the weight difference from a midget to sprint car.. 275 lbs.. with a midget having 350 plus hp.. and a sprint from 7 to 850 hp.. which your not getting to the ground you gonna combine classes on that?? seriously..

Must be a reason they are not willing to combine these cars.. Call Usac and ask them, or Power I and ask them why they wont allow it.. see what they say?

9/20/10, 7:29 PM   #29
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9racing View Post
and you still have not answered the question Don, if they are that competitive why do you not own them.. You are if not number 1 very close to it in the "complaints of costs in midget racing" category..
Your question is a bit over the top, but here goes: Your question reminds of dozens of fans on here that think race teams can show up all over the country and promoters can just promote races at the snap of a finger amongs other fantasies. It doesn't work that way. I already have a garage full of race cars. I don't need a mini sprint to add to the collection. Thanks! If it's your all time wish for me to own more race cars, you can get ur wallet out and cough up some sponsorship or buy me out. I hope you have a lot of cash. Regarding your complaints about costs: Thanks for putting me number one on the list. I'm not the only one. You may want to check out the wholesale midget operations for sale in Wisconsin to find out who agrees with me or for that matter, ask a few owners that have pavement midgets for sale how sales are coming along.........

9/21/10, 1:16 AM   #30
smorgan15m

I was one of the mini sprints that was there racing at us 24 speedway in the green and white 15M. I won the third heat and beat out two true midgets by over half a track. This is not our first outing in running with the midgets we run alot of shows down in Missouri with the Ozark Mountain Midgets and our mini sprints do very well running against the midgets. We have run with the midgets on 1/4 mile and small 3/8 mile tracks and have always stayed right with the midgets and made it very good race to watch. I do think there should be more of this type of shows.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > US 24 Midget clash