IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > the burg
9/19/10, 10:12 AM   #21
Re: the burg
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Had a great time at the burg last night. Was concerned early sprint heats were on the cushion only but whole track came in.

Andrews raced everybody clean all year, Been top five about every night even when invaders came in. Last night with Shawn was a racing thing. They both went in high. Shawn slipped over the cushion a bit and andrew was there when he had to come back down. Im not blaming anyone, It was a racing thing, Shawn once again was bad fast, Hate to see the night end like that for him.

The street stocks were a joy to watch again, with the champ and runner up finishing 2-3 after coming from the tail. The winner flat out got it on

The mods, I might get bashed for this but *** happened to this class? Last year it was three and four wide, Mostly clean racing. Very little skirmishes on the track. This year, Crash the crap out of one another. Hour and a half features and people acting like two year olds.
Its become a embarrassment honestly and many people who stay to watch em end up getting up and leaving after about five cautions and reds in four laps.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mods and most of the participants. Congrats to Brad on his championship, You had to be there and be in it every week just to have a shot at it.

1 member likes this post: Bill Elson
9/19/10, 12:22 PM   #22
Re: The 'Burg
FishBurger

Many Random Thoughts of Interest to Very Few:

+Read here earlier in the week that Chad Boespflug was looking for a ride with his regular #98 mount being done for the season after wrecking a lifter during a great run at Kokomo past Sunday. Happy and relieved when Bob Gatten informed us that they were back in action with a borrowed engine. No bad luck for the team this week as Chad brought it to the checkers in third from the seven hole. Impressive!

+Interesting to hear Dad Memmer counseling son John that with the near impossible points deficit, he should just have fun, and bring the #4M back in shape to roll in the hauler. John confirmed to me that he has a lot more "fun" going really really fast. And go fast he did with his fourth place finish. Also impressive!

+We were happy to see the Brandon Whited, Richmond, IN based #2W team back at The 'Burg for the frist time this season in what appeared to be a brand new piece. Can't be sure about the newness because their stuff always looks showroom ready. They had hoped to be in action months earlier but a thief made off with tools and equipment which set them back a bunch. Not sure where they finished, but hope they'll be back soon. They are some super nice folks.

+Newest Section "A" suspect, Leann had ace photog Rick Lane shoot photos awhile back of her and Joss Moffatt, John Memmer, and Chad Boespflug. She leaned on me to get signatures which I did, of course. I told Chad's sweet thing Ashley (WOW!) that Leann was a GF she may not know about. This may create a problem for Leann....uh oh. .

+Andrew Elson was fast all night. Fastest (I think) in hot laps, and won his heat which was a mild surprise with Memmer starting on the pole. At the green the #4M had slight contact with the #71X of Jason Soudrette which was just enough to let Andrew pull even. He checked out after that. In the feetch, Elson started sixth and was soon on the heels of the again super fast Shawn Westerfeld. The ensuing crash of the #89 looked to us like "one of them racin' deals". Couldn't fault either driver. Just racers going for the win.

+Andrew wrapped up the season championship when he pushed off for the feature. But like champs frequently do, he fully authenticated it with a great run to win. A win over the '09 champ, Joss Moffatt, with '10 runner-up Memmer in 4th. Joss in his 5M gave it all he had, which was considerable, but Elson got through the lappers with skill to take the win, his second (one in '09) at The 'Burg, I believe. VERY Impressive!

+The soon to be track champion, Elson stopped by Section "A" for awhile after his heat win. I seized that opp to point out to him that the aforementioned Leann had autographed photos of her personal fave, Joss Moffat and others, but none of him. With that she whipped out a camera and had hubby Todd take a pic of her and Andrew. An aside, I've noticed a direct correlation between the number of Section "A" visitors (drivers, Boss Dave, and others) and the presence of attractive women (Thank You Leann). When it's just a bunch of us hairy legged old men, no one stops to chat. Go figure.

+Chaplain Jackie also dropped in for a nice visit. May have needed just a bit of inspiration prior to her weekly pre-race invocation. Ed K., Gregg, Danny B., Dave F., Todd, Leann, and the Z-Man clearly can motivate her in that way.

+Ooops, got carried away again didn't I? Will close with the thought that I hate to see this season winding down. At my age there may only be 20 or 30 more for me. And now................I must be off
Last edited by FishBurger; 9/19/10 at 12:39 PM.

9/19/10, 1:06 PM   #23
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
The mods, I might get bashed for this but *** happened to this class? Last year it was three and four wide, Mostly clean racing. Very little skirmishes on the track. This year, Crash the crap out of one another. Hour and a half features and people acting like two year olds.
Its become a embarrassment honestly and many people who stay to watch em end up getting up and leaving after about five cautions and reds in four laps.

Don't get me wrong, I like the mods and most of the participants. Congrats to Brad on his championship, You had to be there and be in it every week just to have a shot at it.
I think the mods for the most part have been entertaining and competative this year. Last night, however, the mods ran under American Modified Series sanctioning. The good for the mod teams is they had a hefty boost in the winners purse last night. The bad is the double file restarts was implemented. This set the tone for the evening because, face it, double file restarts mean more spins in the restart lap because drivers want to get a leg up on the other driver, not that I blame them. Double file restarts might be fine in NASCAR where the bulk of the schedule is 1-1/2 mile or greater tracks, but a 1/3 mile dirt tracks, no way. Lets leave the NASCAR gimmicks to NASCAR.

Now back to out regularly scheduled programming.:2:

9/19/10, 1:08 PM   #24
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBurger View Post
Many Random Thoughts of Interest to Very Few:

+Read here earlier in the week that Chad Boespflug was looking for a ride with his regular #98 mount being done for the season after wrecking a lifter during a great run at Kokomo past Sunday. Happy and relieved when Bob Gatten informed us that they were back in action with a borrowed engine. No bad luck for the team this week as Chad brought it to the checkers in third from the seven hole. Impressive!

+Interesting to hear Dad Memmer counseling son John that with the near impossible points deficit, he should just have fun, and bring the #4M back in shape to roll in the hauler. John confirmed to me that he has a lot more "fun" going really really fast. And go fast he did with his fourth place finish. Also impressive!

+We were happy to see the Brandon Whited, Richmond, IN based #2W team back at The 'Burg for the frist time this season in what appeared to be a brand new piece. Can't be sure about the newness because their stuff always looks showroom ready. They had hoped to be in action months earlier but a thief made off with tools and equipment which set them back a bunch. Not sure where they finished, but hope they'll be back soon. They are some super nice folks.

+Newest Section "A" suspect, Leann had ace photog Rick Lane shoot photos awhile back of her and Joss Moffatt, John Memmer, and Chad Boespflug. She leaned on me to get signatures which I did, of course. I told Chad's sweet thing Ashley (WOW!) that Leann was a GF she may not know about. This may create a problem for Leann....uh oh. .

+Andrew Elson was fast all night. Fastest (I think) in hot laps, and won his heat which was a mild surprise with Memmer starting on the pole. At the green the #4M had slight contact with the #71X of Jason Soudrette which was just enough to let Andrew pull even. He checked out after that. In the feetch, Elson started sixth and was soon on the heels of the again super fast Shawn Westerfeld. The ensuing crash of the #89 looked to us like "one of them racin' deals". Couldn't fault either driver. Just racers going for the win.

+Andrew wrapped up the season championship when he pushed off for the feature. But like champs frequently do, he fully authenticated it with a great run to win. A win over the '09 champ, Joss Moffatt, with '10 runner-up Memmer in 4th. Joss in his 5M gave it all he had, which was considerable, but Elson got through the lappers with skill to take the win, his second (one in '09) at The 'Burg, I believe. VERY Impressive!

+The soon to be track champion, Elson stopped by Section "A" for awhile after his heat win. I seized that opp to point out to him that the aforementioned Leann had autographed photos of her personal fave, Joss Moffat and others, but none of him. With that she whipped out a camera and had hubby Todd take a pic of her and Andrew. An aside, I've noticed a direct correlation between the number of Section "A" visitors (drivers, Boss Dave, and others) and the presence of attractive women (Thank You Leann). When it's just a bunch of us hairy legged old men, no one stops to chat. Go figure.

+Chaplain Jackie also dropped in for a nice visit. May have needed just a bit of inspiration prior to her weekly pre-race invocation. Ed K., Gregg, Danny B., Dave F., Todd, Leann, and the Z-Man clearly can motivate her in that way.

+Ooops, got carried away again didn't I? Will close with the thought that I hate to see this season winding down. At my age there may only be 20 or 30 more for me. And now................I must be off
Also, thanks to Leann for the treats.

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
9/19/10, 4:19 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
I think the mods for the most part have been entertaining and competative this year. Last night, however, the mods ran under American Modified Series sanctioning. The good for the mod teams is they had a hefty boost in the winners purse last night. The bad is the double file restarts was implemented. This set the tone for the evening because, face it, double file restarts mean more spins in the restart lap because drivers want to get a leg up on the other driver, not that I blame them. Double file restarts might be fine in NASCAR where the bulk of the schedule is 1-1/2 mile or greater tracks, but a 1/3 mile dirt tracks, no way. Lets leave the NASCAR gimmicks to NASCAR.

Now back to out regularly scheduled programming.:2:

No, the garbage racing in that class has been going on since the Mel Johnson Classic, Also a double file restart night and has been pretty much going on every week since no matter the format. I mean stuff happens on the track but the throwing stuff, Jumping out of the cars and chasing after someone. Taking others out under yellow., I even think the working on the cars under yellow should be stopped, Maybe they wouldn't get into each other as much.

This class has shown and is capable of so much more. It can be a draw but lately its becoming a deterrent.

9/19/10, 6:00 PM   #26
FishBurger

My previous post got a bit long winded.....o.k., a lot long winded, but I do want to return to mention a couple of other very positive observations.

+JR Douglas, looking better each week, came from 10th to finish a not too shabby 5th. Hard Charger Award winner.....if we had one.

+Jordan Kinser looked about as racy as I've seen him. Won his heat and grabbed a 6th place feature finish.

+Chet Gehrke from Broken Arrow, OK showed us that this wasn't his first rodeo moving from 11th to about 4th before a late back stretch half spin dropped him back several positions to 9th.

+Tim Johnson and the track prep crew nailed it IMO. Being just a fan I don't evaluate track conditions in terms of dryness, tackiness, blackness, or whateverness. I look for raciness, and passingness. I watched sprints cars racing high, low, and in the middle. No bad ruts or bumps, and not a lot of dust visible from Section "A". I liked it.

+I once again lost in the 50/50 draw.

+I'm off.............again.

9/19/10, 8:09 PM   #27
newman1957

Marv, Thanks for the kind words about Brandon Whited and the AWC Motorsports team. We always have a great time having you guys swing by the pits to have a chat with us. Yes, that's a new car for us and with the night we had last night, things look to be very promising for us in the future.
Thanks again and swing by the chat any and every time.

9/20/10, 1:31 AM   #28
modlady

this is my thoughts Brad wick should of been thrown out of the track for acting like a complete idiot because if it would of been anyone else they would of and I also think they should of takin the track championship away from him and I hope like hell budweiser drops him next year because believe me he is not a fan favorite at all boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > the burg