IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tri State Speedway 7/31
8/1/10, 8:47 AM   #11
Re: Tri State Speedway 7/31
Pat O'Connor Fan

Good one, Jerry!
In my dictionary of down-to-earth definitions, a wildebeest is best described, not as a gnu, but as "cannon fodder for lions, hyenas, cheetahs, leopards, and crocodiles" :2:

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
8/1/10, 9:41 AM   #12
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
Great track, from green to checker, thanks to Tommy, Blake and their crew.
Perhaps the best testament to the job the Helfrichs did with the track would be how racy the track was for the modified feature, even after a 40 lap sprint feature.

While we're on the subject of the mods, I actually overheard a fan in the stands whining after three very good mod heats "Glad that's over, I don't think I could take any more of that." He's free to feel that way, but I wonder if this guy has ever been to a POWRi show at Macon, where they run mods, street stocks, and TWO classes of 4 cylinders for support? Or if he has ever been to Pevely, where they get around 30 mods, 40 sportsman, and 20 4-cyl. nearly evertime they open the gates?

I mean, aside from TSS or Belle-Clair for their POWRi shows, how many big shows can you go to that don't also have a ton of support classes on the evening's docket? That's one of many reasons why I love Haubstadt.

8/1/10, 9:58 AM   #13
Hubie

Jerry Shaw, that was a brilliant post

Stanbrough is something to watch. We are very lucky to be able to plunk down some fun tickets every weekend and watch this guy race.

He is a Master of the Dirt Track

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
8/1/10, 10:41 AM   #14
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat O'Connor Fan View Post
...In my dictionary of down-to-earth definitions, a wildebeest is best described, not as a gnu, but as "cannon fodder for lions, hyenas, cheetahs, leopards, and crocodiles" :2:
It's just a good thing a Krockenberger wasn't the one Stanbrough took the lead from then, Steve. That would have just confused the hell out of everything, food chain wise.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

8/1/10, 11:03 AM   #15
axsom#11

Any one have the compete A main finish order , thanks

8/1/10, 11:08 AM   #16
Jerry Shaw

53 Jon Stanbrough
36 Brady Short
35 Hunter Schuerenberg
10F Blake Fitzpatrick
32 Chase Stockon
3 Danny Holtsclaw
68 Jonathan Hendrick
9 Russ Harper
7M Critter Malone
25N Adam Nigg
3C Kyle Cummins
5 Chase Briscoe
21K Shawn Krockenberger
4B Donny Brackett
9T Jonathan Vennard
3D Dakota Jackson
32L Brandon Mattox
9K Kevin Thomas
7 Jon Sciscoe
16 Anthony Nicholson
3M Mark Perry III

Winston Churchill

2 members like this post: 3Cfan, IndyBound
8/1/10, 2:42 PM   #17
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiNOISE View Post
I mean, aside from TSS or Belle-Clair for their POWRi shows, how many big shows can you go to that don't also have a ton of support classes on the evening's docket? That's one of many reasons why I love Haubstadt.
The last time I went to TSS (havent been the last two times due to being sick and other issues) the mods have put on dang good shows. Yes, they arent the sprints but they still get out there, beat and bang for 8 laps and give you a decent show. The only time they suck is if there are about 7 spins in a heat race.

Personally, I like just having mods and that is it. I can understand if other tracks need/like to run support classes but TSS has it just right. Im not from Indiana so Im used to tracks that have 7 classes a night and only 1 or 2 of them are competitive.

8/1/10, 5:53 PM   #18
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
The last time I went to TSS (havent been the last two times due to being sick and other issues) the mods have put on dang good shows. Yes, they arent the sprints but they still get out there, beat and bang for 8 laps and give you a decent show. The only time they suck is if there are about 7 spins in a heat race.

Personally, I like just having mods and that is it. I can understand if other tracks need/like to run support classes but TSS has it just right. Im not from Indiana so Im used to tracks that have 7 classes a night and only 1 or 2 of them are competitive.
It's not just that Haubstadt only runs one support class; it's that they're committed to running timely programs. At the other extreme, the World of Outlaws show at I-55 earlier this season had about 30 sprinters and about 25 modifieds. Despite starting the mod heats in the late afternoon (I think something in the 4:45 or 5:00 range) and only contesting 12 total races for the entire program (both classes), the sprint A-Main didn't hit the track until after 11:00 pm.

The argument about tracks needing to run a million support classes at special shows in order to pay the bills sometimes has validity, sometimes not. Despite having only about 50 total racecars (both classes combined) in the pits last night, and not having a big time "brand name" series on the card, the stands were still about 75-80% full. Perhaps it's because they attract a large number of casual fans who know they'll get out at a reasonable time?

8/1/10, 8:02 PM   #19
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Chase and Blake are coming into it. I'm pretty sure the lights went off if both these young mens head. 2 great kids that will get to see winning alot more in the future until then keep taking those lessons from Jon, they'll pay off in the long run. I for one am a big fan of both these young men. Keep up the fantastic driving and by the way hell of a run Jon

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
8/1/10, 8:19 PM   #20
dirtzilla

Personally, I like seeing the support classes as well as the feature billing. It doesn't matter if its winged or non-wing sprints, late models, mods or whatever....some of the best racing I have ever seen was in the support classes. My home track is a narrow one....so three wide is max and that usually results in a wreck. To see those guys go four wide and all bunched up is fun to watch. I guess I am one of the few that can stand to watch anything and still be excited about it. Granted, its still nice to see a track take only one or two support classes and get everyone out at a decent time with a heavy track for some great racing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tri State Speedway 7/31