IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > kville nonwing nats
7/29/10, 10:36 AM   #41
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

i would kill to see usac run waynesfield lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/29/10, 12:35 PM   #42
Re: kville nonwing nats
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1jackhewittfan View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Who you gonna kill?!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
And you'll never get 1000.00 out the gate, if you keep showing up with less than 40 cars at 10,000 to win races less than 2 hours away. Those races should get 60+ without batting an eye but no, you end up with no more cars than you would for a regular USAC show.

Oskaloosa will pay 15,000 and they won't get more than 35 cars. Oskaloosa used to pay 30,000 and the most they got was 41 cars.

41 cars for the biggest paying non-wing race in the country.

And you guys wonder why you're still racing for 4,000 to win on a national level.
The owners and driver's are not the ones who should be making the purse. You need butts in the seats. 30 of the best make for a great show.

7/29/10, 1:26 PM   #43
Daboy

All I can say is being from South Dakota ( wing country ) it is a treat for for me to see the nonwing cars. I do all 10 days of Iowa Sprintweek. In the past Tuesday at Osky has been my favorite. I was SOOOOO looking forward to the nonwing guy's at Knoxville last year. Lets hope they get to get it in this year. As far as the $$$ goes it has to start somewhere, and $20,000.00 for the two nights is a start. I am sure if we fans show up on Sunday and make a good showing they might be inclined to pay out more next year. On the other hand if there are more people in the pits then in the stands, well you get the idea. IMO it will be a tuff sell at Knoxville as far as fans go. The 360 nats are a good show,but the stands are pretty damn bare until Saturday when they have the 410's run also. it seems the locals are 410 fans and that is it. Hopefully I am proven wrong because as a fan I would really like this to take off and grow.

7/29/10, 1:31 PM   #44
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Maybe non-wing Nationals should be held in Indiana?? Makes the most sense. Either that or Late October at the PAS.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/29/10, 1:50 PM   #45
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
Maybe non-wing Nationals should be held in Indiana?? Makes the most sense. Either that or Late October at the PAS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Too logical, agreeing on what track size, track location, other factors wil affect all of this. The Four Crown should be just a three crown. Without a doubt Eldora is a great facility, pretty close to Indiana. Go ahead and pile on with the dust comments...

How much does the 4 crown pay for each class?

7/29/10, 2:02 PM   #46
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1jackhewittfan View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

hewitt classic will be as close to usac as you get at waynesfield

7/29/10, 7:42 PM   #47
CTtoPA

Who said it would be open for discussion? Lawrenceburg looks like a nice place and is a good size. Maybe Dave already has something in the works! If he could have a $20,000 to win show with a strong payout through the field I'll bet he could get a great car count. (Sorry Dave for bringing your name into this!)
Posted via Mobile Device

7/29/10, 8:01 PM   #48
tjcain58

That's part of the problem right there! Just because you think you can only have non wing races in Indiana! No wonder they only race in Indiana/California heaven forbid trying to grow! That would be crazy to leave the state! Wing cars have only been around for short time but somehow have shoved nw cars to two states. Omg forget it I'm calling ARP wings hello ASCS!
Posted via Mobile Device

7/29/10, 9:15 PM   #49
CTtoPA

Nobody said anything about NOT racing outside Indiana. I'm just saying it makes the most sense to hold a NW Nationals where all the NW cars are located. Just seems like common sense? Your idea would be like having Super DIRT Week for DIRTcar modifieds in Ohio when the vast majority runs within 4 hours of Syracuse in any direction.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/10, 12:22 AM   #50
ThePurple73

I attended the Nationals since the mid-1960's and hundreds of Knoxville "Saturday Night" non-wing events. Also many non-wing races at Oskaloosa, Sedalia, Lakeside, Lincoln NE, Iowa State Fair Grounds, Ascot, Manzy and tons of county fair tracks for years. It is a shame todays fans can't experience what it was like in the late 1960's and 1970's non-wing sprints at Knoxville. It was utterly amazing and tremendous fun. At that time the Arizona Barn, and other "barns" at the Knoxville fairgrounds served as garages and hangouts for the nationals competitors and fans. Jack Miller was the ultimate announcer. I also attended at the same time hundreds of USAC races. It was great seeing people like Eddie Leavitt, Ray Lee Goodwin, Jerry Blundy, Bubby Jones, Opperman, Dick Gaines, Dean Thompson, Jimmie Boyd and a cast of others battle it out at the Nationals back then.

IMO todays USAC and California non-wing sprint crowd are very much like the open wheelers of that time. Folks in Indiana and California are lucky to have non-wing sprinters so available.
It would be nice to have the Indiana/Illinois/Ohio/Pennsylvania/California non-wing drivers and fans all take part in an open wheel Nationals on a big half mile like Knoxville.

I thought the USAC race at Oskaloosa the last several years was great and a "must see" race. It had that non-wing National's feel.

I attended the "winged Nationals" last year. But to me its just not the same as the old days. Just my personal preference for non-wing sprints.

I would attend a large (Huge Purse) non-wing National Event no matter where it was held, and would pay what ever the promoter wanted for admission. Terre Haute, Knoxville, Osky, Perris, Sedalia, Eldora would work, probably some other tracks also.

I would think some one could make it happen. Maybe it is up to us fans.
Today's non-wing drivers deserve it.

How much do we want something like this?

4 members like this post: duel, jim goerge, MacTexas, Modocer 57
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > kville nonwing nats