IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > kville nonwing nats
7/28/10, 5:37 PM   #21
Re: kville nonwing nats
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

I don't know why some one at USAC can't come up with an ORIGINAL THOUGHTStop weaseling in on other events and get some sponsorship and have YOUR OWN EVENT Yes it will take some time,money and energy

Knoxville during the Nats sounds great.Over priced rooms 50 minutes away from the track or camp a mile and half from the track

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post

The problem is the lack of seeing the big picture in Sprint Car Racing right now. The Outlaws are seeing bigger crowds than ever simply by spreading themselves over more markets. People ask me all the time why there aren't USAC or traditional Sprint Car races in certain states or areas. The answer isn't a lack of interest. The answer is that there are very few who aspire to be more than a weekend/hobby Sprint Car racer in our arena right now. I feel like that tide is turning somewhat, but racing three times a weekend in Indiana does nothing but hurt payouts, crowds, and car counts here in our home state.

I've always laughed at people on this message board who whine about not having any USAC Sprint Car races in this area from Sprintweek until September. Well yeah, that's because no one will show up.

Just to be clear, my post was only to point out that drivers, teams, and fans need to support these shows if they ever want better things for Sprint Car racers. If you want Dave Darland to make more money, or young drivers to be content racing Sprint Cars, or to see your favorite race cars on TV again, the answer is to think more big-picture as to what is good for the whole of Sprint Car racing...Knoxville pays a million dollars to the Knoxville Nationals participants this year. They pay something like $20,000+ to the USAC crowd. Making excuses or blaming the track will get us nowhere. Knoxville, and just about anywhere else in the country, is willing to pay out...if it's worth it!

Ask one of your bosses if a WOO driver or Lucas driver has to find 6 different kinds of cars to drive to make a living.Kind of easy to run those series,Buy a winged sprint car or late model and go racing.To boot there screwing around with off road racing and 1/4 midgets.The last 20 years Fathers and sons figured out how to move up to full midgets and sprint cars with out USAC HELP.

USAC is lucky they have GREAT DIRT SPRINT AND MIDGET STARS AND CARS, TRY PROMOTING YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER

7/28/10, 6:34 PM   #22
sam

Kirk,
I am guessing KC picked the same night Eldora was running. Eldora run the same Late Model/Non Wing show last year on this week-end. Makes it tough to pick where to go!

7/28/10, 6:40 PM   #23
dirtshirt

I will be at Belleveille,Oskie and Knoxville .The cars will show I'm sure for Knoxville and Oskie just like last year .
Weekly 305s wingless at Riverside ,w.Memphis. Ricky Logan ran the Otter Pops Champ Car a couple of season I think .
Everyone support a race track this weekend .

1 member likes this post: 64chevy
7/28/10, 7:10 PM   #24
USAC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
Ask one of your bosses if a WOO driver or Lucas driver has to find 6 different kinds of cars to drive to make a living.Kind of easy to run those series,Buy a winged sprint car or late model and go racing.To boot there screwing around with off road racing and 1/4 midgets.The last 20 years Fathers and sons figured out how to move up to full midgets and sprint cars with out USAC HELP.

USAC is lucky they have GREAT DIRT SPRINT AND MIDGET STARS AND CARS, TRY PROMOTING YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER
You didn't read a word of Kirk's post did you?

Even a sanctioning body can't promote out of a paper bag if the fans, facilities, and teams are against them from the start.

I watched a USAC official ask a team to do a show car appearance the day before a race in Ohio I think and he got laughed at. Literally. Lack of promotion is a culture in non-wing racing, not just USAC.

7/28/10, 7:16 PM   #25
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahawk View Post
I hope there is a good car count and crowd at Knoxville. It would nice to have some sort of multi-day event that could pull some of the west coast teams in. A single day, $5000 show is not going to do that.

Aside from sprint speed week you either have a good crowd or good car count. When Lawrenceburg had the back to back $10,000 shows last fall, it had the car count but the crowd seemed to be very light for the bigger payout.

I think it would be great to see more shows in Ohio, but too many people think speed = good racing.
The seond race that weekend was a MSCS show and I thought it had a pretty good crowd

7/28/10, 7:20 PM   #26
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

Maybe there are some USAC owners and drivers who need to realize that USAC doesn't hold the prestige it once did. The split from Indy and the plane crash hit USAC hard. There's nothing wrong with scaling back. Maybe they need to go dirt or asphalt only. They would lose some historically significant tracks either way but something has to be done to take USAC forward.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/28/10, 7:23 PM   #27
JakeCroxton

Correct me if I'm wrong...I think there were 23 pre-entries last year and 44 showed up on race day?

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/28/10, 7:31 PM   #28
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
You didn't read a word of Kirk's post did you?

Even a sanctioning body can't promote out of a paper bag if the fans, facilities, and teams are against them from the start.

I watched a USAC official ask a team to do a show car appearance the day before a race in Ohio I think and he got laughed at. Literally. Lack of promotion is a culture in non-wing racing, not just USAC.
I read every word of it twice

IF the fans and the facilities are against USAC WHY WHERE THERE RECORD CROWDS AT SPRINTWEEK?

So the day before the race USAC thought it would be a good idea to promote(most people make plans in advance)

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

[QUOTE=USAC Fan;186535]You didn't read a word of Kirk's post did you?

I think my buddy Kirk is starting to lose touch with sprint car reality.It's time for him to work 40 or 50 hours in a weld shop or construction site and 5 to 10 hours a night in the race shop ,have a house payment and kids and then wonder why 3/4 of the sprint teams won't drive 10 hours to Knoxville for 500 to start, when you burn that much in fuel.

7/28/10, 8:51 PM   #29
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 25

This ain't no Nationals, Knoxville is just packaging it this way to make it sound special. If they want a special event how about throwing some money at it then maybe it would be worthy of being called a National event. As for the state of REAL sprint car racing somebody or organzation needs to step up and get some real money and exposure behind it. If people only knew, the comparison dosen't exist between sprint cars and the flying hogsheds that the majority of the nation must digest as racing. Just because they are greater in numbers doesn't make great. If that was true Wallmart would be the greatest place to shop wouldn't it. How about a reality show following a sprint car team around the country, or perhaps weekly Live TV racing in the fall from Ventura. If Knoxville wants a real event how about this, 3 day sprintcar National (I.E. NONwings for those who needit spelled out) to take place on Hall of Fame induction weekend say 10,000 to win first 2 nights and 50,000 to win 1,000 to start on the final night. How does that sound? Anybody think there would be a car count problem? and Knoxville could add another premere event to their stable. Lets call it the Jesse Hockett Hall of Fame Classic with the winner getting a Jesse Hockett statuette trophy
Last edited by oppweld; 7/28/10 at 8:54 PM.

7/28/10, 8:58 PM   #30
PAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactexas View Post
i would pay $20 just to watch the wingless car hot lap at knoxville.
hell yes

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > kville nonwing nats