IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group Qualifying comments
7/10/10, 10:02 AM   #1
Group Qualifying comments
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Good and bad.

The good was watching Grant pass cars like they were sitting still and still setting fast time.

The bad, Its very hard to focus on one car and it does impede others lap times while trying to make up for it by having extra laps.

I honestly thought that bringing six groups of seven, firing them off and running four laps each took longer than it probably would have one car two laps.

Coolers still in car, don't have to work till sunday night, Off To GC.

1 member likes this post: skids59
7/10/10, 11:18 AM   #2
Re: Group Qualifying comments
Racer12

I definitly prefer single car quals. to be honest it was one of my favorite parts of the racing. You get to see who has the biggest b!@#s and who has the smallest ones! There is no hiding it, it's there in the open for everyone to see. Plus as a racer you choose your own destiny, it is not determined by random draw or other cars on the track impeding your progress.

Bob Shutt

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Motormasher
7/10/10, 11:30 AM   #3
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
Plus as a racer you choose your own destiny, it is not determined by random draw or other cars on the track impeding your progress.

Bob Shutt

Isnt it still a random draw on the pill draw on when you go out and time??

7/10/10, 11:44 AM   #4
davidlyons

JG was my Dark Horse pick.

It was a great qualifying run. (Track Record!)
Not only his qualifying effort, but his heat race effort was an A+.
Thought he had something for 'em last night.

Struggled a bit in the main, but remember, this is his first year in a Sprint Car, and he is learning these tracks and setups as he goes.

Jeff Walker gave him a few races last season. The hook up with Ken Baldwin appears to have been good for both of them. I've never seen the Baldwin car run this good, and that kid can drive.

Dave

7/10/10, 11:47 AM   #5
Racer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
Isnt it still a random draw on the pill draw on when you go out and time??
Yes it is.

7/10/10, 12:02 PM   #6
davidlyons

Sorry. Last post got a bit off topic, and I hit the post reply before I finished.

What I wanted to get at was that both formats are cool. The group is more exciting to watch, and you can pick out who is fast in each group.
Group is like another short heat race for the fans to watch, but it starts out all spread out.

On the other hand single car qualifying shows who has B@!!s as Bob pointed out. It's just hammer down don't worry bout other cars. Remember Brad Sweet's qualifying efforts? That kid was on the edge from the time the thing fired.

It is what it is. It's Indiana. It's still the best racing in the county, bar NONE.

Dave

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/10/10, 12:15 PM   #7
Eagle14

Indiana SprintWeek is not group qualifying....it just isn't. You actually but more wear on a track and lose more time with three track re works instead of the time spent single car. Sprint Week is single car qualifying...part of what makes people come and racers race. Car, driver, track not car driver track other driver other car in way on track. IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: JCC, Motormasher
7/10/10, 1:27 PM   #8
Amzie

I like single car quals. You can hear the car and see how each driver does it. People are always worried about the extra laps on the track. Isn't 4 laps for each car worse than 2???
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Motormasher
7/10/10, 2:13 PM   #9
Stuckwieser

It makes it a hell of a lot harder to make changes to your car with group qualifying. I think that is why some good cars struggled qualifying last night. It is even for everyone, but there is just not a lot of time to make adjustments back there when as soon as you pull it, they call your qualifying group.

7/10/10, 2:25 PM   #10
MacTexas

I liked the group qualifying but I would really prefer the Sprint Bandit passing points system with two qualifying races.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Group Qualifying comments