IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!
6/30/10, 8:19 PM   #41
Re: Novel Idea!
bigq11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierMikey View Post
I can remember my Aunt and Uncle Red McCourt taking to me to the Mitchell In. Speedway when I was just a kid watching my Uncles car race, then in later years going with them to Bloomington, Lawrenceburg and TSS watching guys like Calvin Gilstrap, Dick Gaines, Butch Wilkerson, Cecil Beavers, (Wow i could go on and on with this list) and many others. I dont go as often as I used to but still enjoy going when I can, especially to the non wing sprint car races. As with other posters there is nothing like the sound and smell of sprint cars starting up. Of all the sports events I have been to, racing fans are the greatest.
I saw my very first race at the old Mitchell Speedway. I'm thankful my Dad took me there, whick led to my addiction to dirt track sprint car racing.

I'm also thankful for the drivers and owners who pay to go out and entertain us every week.

2 members like this post: HurstBros0, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 8:37 PM   #42
Supermod
Inactive Member

I have completely wasted my life on racing. And quite frankly, since I'm sure I was destined to waste my life, I can't think of a better way than racing! 54 years and counting - and in nine days I'm headed for Indiana, kids, it just doesn't get and better than that!

later,

Bob Mays

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/30/10, 8:51 PM   #43
Danny Burton

I was very fortunate to have a dad who took me to the races. He knew better than leave without me after awhile.

I've made a ton of good friends at races. You can't have too many of those. Many of those came via iow.com, thank you Bill.

No other sport/game etc. assaults the senses like racing. I come home from a race either freezing, roasting, dirty, ears ringing, mustard stains on my pants, dust in my eyes (not much fun with contact lens), a half empty gas tank and often a sore behind from sitting on a less than soft seat. I'd not have it any other way.

Perhaps in the future some will say that these are/were the good old days, as many say about days gone by these days.

I appreciate the skills exhibited by racers. They almost make it look easy. I appreciate the folks who work on the cars, who pay the bills that are relentless. I appreciate the promoters with all the gambles that they take. And also the track workers, from the guys in the infield who risk their lives to get the lineup straight to the concession workers who serve those cheeseburgers to the ticket takers and pit shack greeters.

I'm thankful for the late Len Calinoff, who practically demanded that I write an article and to the late John LeVan, who pushed me to write even more. I'm very thankful to Jim Morrison, now editor of Hawkeye Racing News. Along with his predecessor, Kyle, who, with Jim, is on iow.com, I've had to learn how to keep the words to a minimum and and edit myself so they wouldn't have to. Finally I'm extremely thankful to Allan Holland of hoseheads.com, who was smart enough to put KO's columns on his site before he added mine last year, after some strings pulled by Andrew Quinn.

Like many here, I can look off and see that there are fewer years ahead than there are in the rear view mirror. But that's okay; even if I've gone to my last race, I can't complain. It's been a very good run and should the Good Lord decide so, there may well be a few more races on my docket.

Thank you to one of those friends I mentioned earlier for starting this thread.

And Happy Birthday to John Hoover!

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

3 members like this post: davidm, IndyBound, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 8:52 PM   #44
loosewheel

What I love about racing. We have enjoyed watching racing at all levels for years. Our kids have loved the sport from day one. Our son Bud who is 12 years old has enjoyed every form that he has seen (and trust me he has seen it all) and has wanted to race himself for as long as we can remember. Two year ago we bought a quarter midget. We now enjoy the sport from a different view. We no longer have much time to watch adults race because of our own racing. What we love about racing is the time we spend together doing what we love as a family. Making memories that we hope will last long after we are done. We now have a second driver that we hope will want to caring on a tradition with future generations. Chasee Lynn will make her 1st start sometime in 2015.

Scott & Kelly
McCune Motorsports
Driver: Bud McCune

PS Mudpacker is Gonzo running yet??? If not you better get busy. We may have a spare bed Sprint Week but you will have to share with Skampy

6/30/10, 9:15 PM   #45
interpreter66

i'm thankful for non wing sprint car's in florida earlier this year, and seeing all my friend's when i go to the race's

after all racing's just something to do once you get there! :2:

6/30/10, 9:28 PM   #46
HurstBros0

I love it when a guy drives my racecar with as much passion as I had putting it together . Getting in a rhythm and racing the track not the other cars. Thinking ahead a lap or so not just driving over the end of the hood. Jumping out with a big smile on his face knowing he used all it had ...........

3 members like this post: IndyBound, K9Racer, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 9:35 PM   #47
I Miss Manzy

I agree with the previous posts about the sensory overload of our sport.It is,after all,why we're there in the first place! But as for me,I'm most thankful for the people.Whether it's hanging out with the usual gang at the local track,or going to a new track and meeting new friends, like I recently did at Lawrenceburg, Kokomo and the other Indiana tracks I visited,it's the people I've met that I'm most grateful for!

2 members like this post: IndyBound, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 9:35 PM   #48
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosewheel View Post
What I love about racing. We have enjoyed watching racing at all levels for years. Our kids have loved the sport from day one. Our son Bud who is 12 years old has enjoyed every form that he has seen (and trust me he has seen it all) and has wanted to race himself for as long as we can remember. Two year ago we bought a quarter midget. We now enjoy the sport from a different view. We no longer have much time to watch adults race because of our own racing. What we love about racing is the time we spend together doing what we love as a family. Making memories that we hope will last long after we are done. We now have a second driver that we hope will want to caring on a tradition with future generations. Chasee Lynn will make her 1st start sometime in 2015.

Scott & Kelly
McCune Motorsports
Driver: Bud McCune

PS Mudpacker is Gonzo running yet??? If not you better get busy. We may have a spare bed Sprint Week but you will have to share with Skampy
With every bolt on piece we seem to be getting closer! At least that is what your chief mechanic tells me. Somehow that winter project of putting that new engine in Gonzo has gotten down to the last minute again! Go figure. I appreciate the offer of the bed but I am sure that Slappy won't share the way I would. Look forward to seeing you guys again during sprint week.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/30/10, 9:46 PM   #49
SprintManDave

I love the excitement,the competition,and the comraderie with other fans. Thanks Bill Gardner for this great site,which has given me many new friends,and thanks Mudpacker for this post.

2 members like this post: 38DD, Mud Packer
6/30/10, 10:26 PM   #50
Bad Dad 54

We had a race team show up for a race just as the cars were being brought up for the feature. We had less than 20 cars so this car could tag the rear of the field. It was just a father & son, time was short to get the car ready. I was an official at the time so I was tied up doing my job. But there were several people from other crews over there helping while driver changed into his racing gear. Unloading, fueling the car, changing the RR Tire, just what ever had to be done. Sure enough here comes the car to push off just as the push truck was coming up to the last car in line. I was very proud of my MTS people that night, thats what racings about to me.

4 members like this post: IndyBound, interpreter66, Jimmydiesel, Mud Packer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Novel Idea!