IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bob Higman
1/14/10, 10:47 AM   #21
Re: Bob Higman
billwill7

I last saw and spoke with Bob at Springfield last summer. He gave me a list that he had compiled of all the drivers who had driven for him. It is a who's who of open wheel racing. A legend has passed. There is another winner in heaven.

1 member likes this post:
1/14/10, 11:19 AM   #22
LEADERS EDGE

I have known Bob for thirty plus years. Always friendly and always had a kind word.

Like alot of people who grew up in racing(Like myself), Bob and people like Bob are in your life for along period of time. They were the creators,history teachers and caretakers of the sport before the next generations could come in and assume their position. The problem is, we have less and less people like Bob who basically devoted their entire lives to keeping this thing going. I hope I am wrong, but with each passing member of his generation, the sport becomes a little less relevant.

I will miss Bob; watching races with him,sharing a laugh or even a little pissing and moaning about some things. One thing about it, knowing Bob put you into an elite club of people.

For those who don't know; Bob and Kenny Baldwin of Baldwin Bros. racing were extremely close. Our thoughts are with them as well.

2 members like this post: billwill7
1/14/10, 12:34 PM   #23
Bronco Billy Molkenbur

Very sad news, he will be missed. RIP Mr. Higman.
Billy, AJ, Cole and Kaedin

1/14/10, 12:44 PM   #24
midgy

Rest in peace Bob.

1/14/10, 12:46 PM   #25
Luvzracin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro67B View Post
Bob Higman is my uncle. I always knew that he was well known and respected in Open Wheel Circles. My husband and I owned a drag car for several years and ran at various tracks around the MidWest. We were at a huge race in Boling Green Ky. about 8 years ago. I was setting in a line of about 250 cars waiting to make my qualifying pass and as we were chatting about motors and set ups with the drivers and their crews around us, one guy mentioned that he was having problems with his motor and when he got back home he was going to call Bob Higman and see what he thought about his issues. I never went to any big race anywhere, that someone did not know Bob Higman. Amazing ! Every form of racing has lost a hero !
I love that story mom!!

1/14/10, 4:35 PM   #26
Haulerin2deep

Thoughts and prayers go to the entire Higman family and friends. Growing up I heard to many stories that included Bob to remember. You will be missed but more importantly remembered..

Chad Branson and the entire Branson family.....

2 members like this post: billwill7
1/14/10, 11:34 PM   #27
loran1744

Today the midget racing family lost one of its' greatest and most respected members with the passing of legendary midget mechanic, owner and car builder, Mr. Bob Higman. His history and accomplishments speak for themselves. He was a true ambassador and friend for all in midget racing. In addition to being a great innovator, he fielded some of the finest midgets to ever hit the racetrack. Even though some of the best in the business were fortunate enough to drive for him, he always made time for the struggling weekend racers such as myself. Many years ago, when I was just beginning, I blew up my rear end. I sent it to Bob for repairs. I was a nobody, who just wanted to make the next race. After he was finished with the repairs, he personally delivered it from his shop in Lafayette, Indiana to my place in Chicago, just so I could make that next race. Not many people would do such a thing, but he did. That is the kind of man he was. A true racer, helping other racers. I knew I had made a friend for life. Over the years since, I always looked forward to our clubs' awards banquet, for the opportunity to say hello and converse with Bob. He was always there, year after year, as he sponsored our rookie of the year award for the last 19 years. He was a big supporter of our club. I want to thank Amanda and the Corson/Savage racing team for bringing him to our banquet again this past November. Once again I had the privilege to say hello, laugh and talk with Bob, and I will cherish those memories forever. I am honored to have known the man and call him my friend. He truly will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Higman family.

God Speed my friend, Bob Higman.

Loran Critchett Jr.
Illini Racing Series

1/15/10, 6:56 AM   #28
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxie bowman View Post
He was always a friend to me. Shopping carts in his shop, what a great idea, cost me a lot of money each time I left. R.I.P. ole friend.

Jack Calabrase
Talked to Bob on xmas eve he let me no how nice it was to talk to a OOLLDD racer, RIP Bob all your ol drivers will miss you GOD BLESS YOU Butch Wilkerson #1

1/15/10, 11:00 AM   #29
RcrSkyChk

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: n/a

We were all very sad to hear of Bob's passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

The schuyler's

1/15/10, 11:18 AM   #30
sprintcar64

Can't really add too much that hasn't already been said except to offer the Higman family our condolences. Seems like if you have been in this sport for very long you have a Bob Higman story to share. I will always remember how generous he was, there were quite a few times that my Dad would need something for the midget and Bob helped us out.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bob Higman