IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl - fumes
1/12/10, 4:32 PM   #1
Chili Bowl - fumes
miledirt

Better, worse, about the same in the past few years?

Is it better to sit higher up or lower?
Posted via Mobile Device

1/12/10, 4:57 PM   #2
Re: Chili Bowl - fumes
spicoli

This is a very good question that I'm interested to hear an answer to.

I've met people who went one time and said they'd never go back due to either the fumes or how cold it was inside.

Complained mostly about the fumes.

1/12/10, 5:09 PM   #3
duel

for what it's worth. i sat down in the bottom row at Ft. Wayne and didn't notice the fumes. moved up to the top for the feature and big differnce. fumes were bad. that may or may not be the case in tulsa.

1/12/10, 5:32 PM   #4
jjones776

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli View Post
This is a very good question that I'm interested to hear an answer to.

I've met people who went one time and said they'd never go back due to either the fumes or how cold it was inside.

Complained mostly about the fumes.
the fumes kind of come and go no matter where you sit. as for it being cold, i have never been cold in there. if anything its usually hot.

1/12/10, 5:36 PM   #5
JakeMoore

We raced at Tulsa a couple weeks ago at the Shootout and I felt that the fumes were pretty bad. I have been around it enough that its not a problem but it was weird to see that much smoke in the building when there were closed garage doors all around the place. I can understand that having them open all the time but atleast when they were re working the track or something. Also i felt like it was extremely warm...too warm...in the building most of the week during the shootout. Its still a great facility and the crew out there does do a great job.

1/12/10, 5:38 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

It will depend on how the ventilation system is installed. If they are exhausting out of the top of the building then you will have more fumes up on top. Exhaust will pull out fumes but also remove the warmer air as well. I am not familiar with the facility but would imagine that this is how it is set up. If they open outside overhead doors, then the rush of cold air from the outside will be felt. Difficult part about indoor racing. Most of these facilities weren't built solely for racing. They were constructed as multi purpose buildings.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1/12/10, 6:14 PM   #7
darnall

I can't speak for this year because I have not been there yet but....

I was there in 1999, 2000, & 2001 and it was pretty bad back then...Fumes don't ever bother me but i was wearing the facemask things they give out.

Stayed away for a few years, then went in 2007, 2008, and last year and I noticed a big difference. Still a hint of fumes occasionally but nothing like in the past. Was told they had more ventilation and were using low emission fuel now.

the last 2 years i was stripped down to a t-shirt until late in the event when I would throw on a hoodie...when it's EXTEMELY cold outside it's a bit chilly in the building but if its above 15-20 degrees out the building is pretty comfy.

Disclaimer....fumes rarely if ever bother me, even standing beside a 410 idleing to get heat, as rich as they are, my eyes burn but my nose/throat are fine. I am sure people with respritory issues or people who are sensitive to fumes would have a much different opinion of the expo center than I do.

1/12/10, 9:16 PM   #8
badgerfan

The fumes are much improved from even the early 2000's. My understanding is the Fair Board put in lots of dollars (I had heard around a quarter million bucks) in a power roof peak ventilation system. I'm kind of cold blooded and have never been hot in there, but I do see folks in t shirts in the stands. Its the best racing event I have ever had the privelege of seeing--despite the problems you hear about hear and on other boards. If you love racing you owe yourself at least one trip down to Tulsa.

1/13/10, 2:28 AM   #9
Hawker

The fumes were kinda bad in the 80's and 90's, but they're much better now. the front stretch seats are 100 times better than the "end zone"...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl - fumes