IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
12/31/09, 10:44 AM   #21
Re: MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalmeister View Post
Gregg,
ps....I think Leavell was Welch's son-in-law?
Yes, Rich did marry Welch's daughter. I think her name was Queenie.

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister
12/31/09, 11:07 AM   #22
Seadog

Quote:
Gregg,
That was one of my all time favorite cars. My Dad was friends with the owner Virgil Welch. So I got to sit in the car as a small kid quite often.
Good times!
David.

ps....I think Leavell was Welch's son-in-law? Memory sucks, maybe Duke remembers.

another photo here:
http://ovalmeister.webs.com/apps/pho...otoid=26594913

That's the car I am remembering David. I didn't recall the owner. Nice car. Thanks for that pic.

12/31/09, 11:33 AM   #23
RichC

While I don't think he ever made it to the big show, Scooter Ellis played minor league ball for a number of years.

12/31/09, 11:34 AM   #24
Pitstooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Doug Jones was from Lebanon In. He got involved in racing from his father, who was a old time racer that ran Jungle Park for many years. His name is Rex Jones. Doug bought a silver crown car in the mid 90s. I was the chief wrench on the car for the three years that they owned it. Kyle Clearwaters
Didn't Rex go to the races with the car quite frequently? I remember meeting him at Lincoln Park when we pitted next to you guys.

12/31/09, 12:04 PM   #25
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripcrwn View Post
I don't know if Berry ever made it to Placerville, might not have been to his liking (just a guess). Berry played for a number of years with the San Francisco/Golden State Warriors. So he may have visited the race track in Placerville, but I doubt it (what do I know). A couple of years ago Berry had a radio show on KNBR San Francisco and broadcast from his home somewhere in the Rockies. He no longer broadcasts as far as I know. He was one of the best in the NBA. A real hot dog!
No Tripcrwn, we're talking about Ricky Berry, the California native Kings player who commited suicide in 1989. Not the hall of famer Rick Barry with an "a".

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Not this guy...

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Rick Barry is still alive as far as I know, but Ricky Berry is dead alluding to mowerman's post #5.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Ricky Alan Berry (October 6, 1964 – August 14, 1989) was an American professional basketball player in the NBA for the Sacramento Kings.

Born in Lansing, Michigan, the 6'8" small forward out of San Jose State and Oregon State University was selected 18th overall in the 1988 NBA Draft by the Kings and had a solid rookie season, averaging 11.0 points, 3.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists while shooting 40.6% from three-point range.

In the 1989 offseason, and just weeks before his 25th birthday, Berry was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home in Fair Oaks, California on August 14, 1989, following an argument with his wife. He had displayed no signs of depression and had left a suicide note.

2 members like this post: fish, mowerman
12/31/09, 2:45 PM   #26
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalmeister View Post
gregg,
that was one of my all time favorite cars. My dad was friends with the owner virgil welch. So i got to sit in the car as a small kid quite often.
Good times!
David.

Ps....i think leavell was welch's son-in-law? Memory sucks, maybe duke remembers.

Another photo here:

your right! Also he married girlfriend!! Vukovich was a dodger and so was oskie!

12/31/09, 3:03 PM   #27
Speedwrench

Quote:
Gregg,

ps....I think Leavell was Welch's son-in-law? Memory sucks, maybe Duke remembers.

another photo here:

Rich was Virgil's son-in-law. Wonder whatever happened to the V-8 powered midget that Jim Hines used to run for Virgil in CORA?

The 61 car still exists. A guy in northern Indiana who is related to Tom York has it as of a year ago.
Last edited by Speedwrench; 12/31/09 at 3:55 PM.

12/31/09, 3:26 PM   #28
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
Back in the 80s there was a NBA player who would show up at Placerville Ca. He would pay different drive to mud pack thier car . He played for the Kings , he committed killed himself . Cant rememeber his name .
I remember reading about him in a racing mag. (probably Open Wheel) He said he loved to mud pack the cars but he hated how he did not fit into the car because he was so big. If I remember correctly, the article talked about him possible helping a team or getting his own car sometime in the future. He wanted to get a car that he could actually fit into.

12/31/09, 4:18 PM   #29
bus man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitstooge View Post
Didn't Rex go to the races with the car quite frequently? I remember meeting him at Lincoln Park when we pitted next to you guys.
Pitstooge, yes I'm sure you did. Rex was a supporter of Kevin Thomas,Bill Rose, Aaron Mosely he had Chet Filip drive for us at IRP. His son Doug lives in Tuscon AZ. he played pro baseball for about 18 years, he pitched for many teams.

12/31/09, 4:38 PM   #30
Tripcrwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
Back in the 80s there was a NBA player who would show up at Placerville Ca. He would pay different drive to mud pack thier car . He played for the Kings , he committed killed himself . Cant rememeber his name .
Someone (Richie) mentioned Rick Berry in response to the above post. Thus my response.

1 member likes this post: mowerman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > MLB Players Involvement with USAC teams