IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mobsters as early race promoters?
12/9/09, 1:19 AM   #11
Re: Mobsters as early race promoters?
joemizzou

https://www.sprintcarstuff.com/Produ...l.aspx?id=1542

This book has a lot of info in it about Kansas City Auto Racing--especially Olympic Stadium. My Grandpa used to go there and he told my dad stories about the mob influence at the track.

12/9/09, 11:19 AM   #12
dave

Wasn't there something about one Dude Teete in NSSN being arrested on drug charges last summer? He being a Florida pavement star.

12/9/09, 1:17 PM   #13
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Wasn't there something about one Dude Teete in NSSN being arrested on drug charges last summer? He being a Florida pavement star.
WOW, that's definately not the kind of name I would want ot have if I was facing prison time. The "boys" in the slammer will love him.

12/9/09, 5:53 PM   #14
bigmojo5

Keep in mind that there's a difference between being a ******** and being a mobster. A BIG difference.\
Jim Morrison

1 member likes this post: Lucky161
12/9/09, 7:44 PM   #15
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Keep in mind that there's a difference between being a ******** and being a mobster. A BIG difference.\
Jim Morrison
Jim,

One of the biggest differences is that criminals got caught and mobsters didn't, yet

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

12/9/09, 9:03 PM   #16
Lucky161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Jim,

One of the biggest differences is that criminals got caught and mobsters didn't, yet
Yes, common terms to describe mobsters is "reputed" or "alleged."
Crimminals are more commonly referred to as convicts, excons and felons.

It was before my time and I'm fairly old, but Pat Kirkwood from Fort Worth was a reasonably successful racer who reportedly had mob ties. I looked and I haven't been able to confirm it, but I think he owned a race track, perhaps Riverside in Fort Worth. He is more well known for owning the Cellar an after hours joint in Fort Worth that later had locations in Dallas and Houston.

12/10/09, 12:04 PM   #17
racerjim2

Seems like there was 1 Kansas City 70's era sprint car racer who disappeared and it was said the mob got him. Can't think of his name but was it Stan Borfosky (sp)?

12/10/09, 12:56 PM   #18
duchessjane

I love all of these book recommendations. Will get me through the winter. Thanks!

12/10/09, 4:04 PM   #19
GUIERGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjim2 View Post
Seems like there was 1 Kansas City 70's era sprint car racer who disappeared and it was said the mob got him. Can't think of his name but was it Stan Borfosky (sp)?
I would like to know more about this story...

12/10/09, 4:51 PM   #20
Speedwrench

Never heard about any " connections ", but didn't one of the midget racing Pens of the chicago area disappear under somewhat mysterious circumstances?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mobsters as early race promoters?