IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute ends early
9/28/09, 1:24 PM   #41
Re: Terre Haute ends early
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinisprintfan View Post
The wreck ended the race at about the half way mark, or maybe a little farther, I lost count. The damage to the fence was considered irrepairable, so they called the race over.
Thanks Joe. I am assuming that you mean the feature race?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/28/09, 1:28 PM   #42
Fullthrottle410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Not trying to be disrespectful or start a pissing match, but when did the wreck happen and was that the end of the show? I wasn't there so I really don't know anything more than I read on here. Thanks for the info. I also wish all the drivers a speedy recovery.
http://ascoc.allstarsprint.com/index.php According to write up on ASCOC website there were 8 laps to go.
Always unfortunate when anyone gets injured. Thoughts & prayers to all involved.

9/28/09, 1:31 PM   #43
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Thanks Joe. I am assuming that you mean the feature race?
Yeah, it was the feature. They ran three heats, a dash and then the feature, no B. They started all 23 cars in the feature.

9/28/09, 1:39 PM   #44
pdirish

as of last night the info was that his mother and g/f were being flown to the hospital via private charter by rudeen racing. he is in critical and the prognosis is bleak at best. massive head injuries and in a coma. I see him at skagit and have seen him in horrible wrecks before but never anything this bad. this was on the one year anniversary of the wreck he had last year @ yakima wa. no new info since last night at 10:00 pm pacific time. I'll post more when I hear through the text grapevine.

9/28/09, 2:22 PM   #45
Jonr

I am a little confused. Did the fence do it's job and keep him on the track and the wreck destroyed the fence. Or did the fence fail and he came through the fence.

I have only seen it a couple of times, but having the car on the wrong side of the fence is incredibly scary.

9/28/09, 2:36 PM   #46
sprintgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I am a little confused. Did the fence do it's job and keep him on the track and the wreck destroyed the fence. Or did the fence fail and he came through the fence.

I have only seen it a couple of times, but having the car on the wrong side of the fence is incredibly scary.
It was Miranda Throckmorton's car whose front end went through the fence. When Gravel came to stop due to his motor givin out, Rutz hit him and then Throckmorton's car hit Rutz, sending her car into fence.

9/28/09, 3:34 PM   #47
DerbyDee81T

Was at Terre Haute last night and it was really bad. Miranda wasnt hurt but gravel has multiple fractures and rutz was in critical condition and still is as far as anyone knows at this point. thoughts and prayers with all the family and driver. Miranda's front end tore the fence and was tangled around the lf wheel. the fence did its job and everything she was still conceidered in the fence
Last edited by DerbyDee81T; 9/28/09 at 3:37 PM.

9/28/09, 4:04 PM   #48
Pushtruck

I was in the scoring tower directly in front of the accident during the A-main along with the two PA announcers and scoring officials and could see the cars clearly around the entire track. The announcers were doing play by play of the racing action all the way around the track. The track had blacked over early and the sun was starting to become a visiablity problem seeing the cars coming out of turn four from my vantage in the tower. The sun was to the drivers back going down the front stretch.

Gravel had been smoking severely for two laps and it appeared the engine was giving up near turn three. He was low and slowing on the track and it appeared he was heading to the front stretch pits off turn four but had not slowed enough to turn in. There was a small fire on the left headers as he slowed going down the inside of the front stretch. It became apparent he did not have enough speed to make it to the next opening going into turn one and I heard the..."yellow, yellow, yellow" command given over the radio. Gravel's car appeared to drift away from the inside lane and into the middle groove as it slowed and came to a stop. There were cars passing his stalled car on both sides. He was impacted by some of the group of cars racing for position down the front stretch. Miranda clipped his right rear and was sent tumbling into the outside catch fence and Travis was the second to hit his stalled car. It is possible the smoke from Gravel's car at track level restricted Miranda and Travis' vision and they did not see Gravel's car in time to avoid him.

The catch fence did it's job. It consists of fencing and cables. When Miranda's car hit the fence while flipping it ripped some of the fencing off entangling it around the front end and left side of the car leaving her entire car suspended nose up in the cables and remaining fencing just past the flag stand.

It was a horrific crash to see from any angle. Under the circumstances including damage to the front stretch fence, the sanctioning body ended the event eight laps early. Everyones thoughts and concerns are with all of the drivers, families and friends of those involved.

Joe
Last edited by Pushtruck; 10/2/09 at 11:27 PM.

2 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, Motormasher
9/28/09, 11:13 PM   #49
bent4u

I'm a member of the fire crew and as far as we could tell he has head and neck or back injuries also possibly servere internal injuries he was unconsious and lost a very large amount of blood. We would appreciate any current information we can get on his condition .Any time one of these drivers gets hurt we are very concerned about them we love the sport and we feel like the drivers are friends and family so our thoughts and prayers are with them. Thank you for the information.

Bent4u
Last edited by bent4u; 9/28/09 at 11:48 PM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute ends early