IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ARCA-Dakoda Armstrong
9/21/09, 4:35 PM   #31
Re: ARCA-Dakoda Armstrong
Boston41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Besecker View Post
I disagree. The IGNORANT ones are the uninformed arguing with those who actually know what is going on. It's one thing to disagree and belabor perspectives, but as far as ignorance...yeah, that word is reserved for the morons who keep attempting to pass off their opinions and sheer CONJECTURE as fact.
Who actually knows? Don't get me wrong here - I'm rooting for the kid 100% and am glad to see him get a shot. He is a great kid from a great family. Maybe he is the next Jimmie Johnson (who, by standards of IOW, lacked any credentials prior to his ride with Hendrick.) The kid has to be good enough to be considered in the ride, but money seals the deal... Do we agree?

Yes? Ok... and as there are other talented drivers in this country, many of whom will never see a second of seat time, would you agree that a young driver who comes from a more affluent, well networked family has a justifiable advantage?

I am sure you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Besecker View Post

And furthermore, on that note...when criticising the owners who take on foreign drivers (for the money, naturally), remember this: Those drivers have an allegiance of FANS that encompass ENTIRE COUNTRIES. Those fans rally behind them, buy their merchandise and take GREAT PRIDE in "their guy's" appearance on the national stage....no matter WHAT got them in the seat.
Who criticized any owners for taking on other talent? I must have missed that thread...

And as a side note...There is a difference between someone who simply shares an observation of what appears to be completely obvious, and the belittling, jealous-rage, rednecks who write eBooks about the good 'ol days.
Last edited by Boston41; 9/21/09 at 4:45 PM.

9/21/09, 6:31 PM   #32
midgetmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston41 View Post
Who actually knows? Don't get me wrong here - I'm rooting for the kid 100% and am glad to see him get a shot. He is a great kid from a great family. Maybe he is the next Jimmie Johnson (who, by standards of IOW, lacked any credentials prior to his ride with Hendrick.) The kid has to be good enough to be considered in the ride, but money seals the deal... Do we agree?

Yes? Ok... and as there are other talented drivers in this country, many of whom will never see a second of seat time, would you agree that a young driver who comes from a more affluent, well networked family has a justifiable advantage?

I am sure you do.

Who criticized any owners for taking on other talent? I must have missed that thread...

And as a side note...There is a difference between someone who simply shares an observation of what appears to be completely obvious, and the belittling, jealous-rage, rednecks who write eBooks about the good 'ol days.
You know those ignorant red-necks never reveal everything they know and they would never reveal it here because it is not the right place. They come on a message board because they enjoy good banter and debate.

9/22/09, 10:10 AM   #33
racinryan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmaniac View Post
Where did he start? I know it was not in the back. Yeah he finished 3rd , mommy/daddy's $ got him the ride. Heck if he finished 3rd I'd put $ on these drivers winning in this car , DD,JCjr,JS,CW,BK,BS,LJ.TH. Now if this sounds cold ,the fact remains these drivers spanked his a## in sprints/midgets. He is not even capable of carrying their helmet bag. I am glad he finished 3rd because when he does good it may open up another opportunity for a more deserving driver.Nascar had better be careful because drivers who should not be in cars on talent and getting in them with $ is one of the downfalls of indycars. Ironically it is one of the same owners who is doing it. What happened to the idea of good drivers being successful in sprints /midget and moving up due to their success.
I agree with you man. Im not saying hes a bad driver but theres certainly more deserving drivers out there. Contrary to what another user said racing doesnt necessarily require money it certainly helps but you can work hard and make stuff happen too. The difference in spending sponsor money and spending family money is that in most cases you have to earn sponsor money, and i dont know how many of oyu have tried to find sponsors its not easy. Some pretty major teams like the FOXCO 53 had trouble finding sponsors this year so if you can get sponsor money you deserve to spend it.

9/22/09, 12:00 PM   #34
speed service

Dakoda, Congrats on your finish at Salem and your new Penske development deal.

Now with that being said, I guess I would have to wounder/ask why would anybody be upset at what Dakoda has been givin a chance to do. Ok yes I know there is the whole money deal. But I ask if it was your own kid and you had the resorces to pull from would you not support and back your kid as well as you could?. I have been around this sport for a long time and have seen all of the "next Jeff Gordon's" come and go and hear everyday of a new one coming down the pipe. I have worked with quite a few also. I have seen the money it takes first hand, I know I have spent alot of it. Every sunday nite I sit down and fire up the Tivo and watch either Ama supercross or outdoor nationals and see all the guys on there that my son use to chase and even beat regular basis. He even beat a little sawed off red head kid for a state championship. That kid was Ryan Vilipoto. I spent a ton of money in our racing years but as I watch now I dont get pissed or whine and cry of were there at. It's life and things change. Everybody has "dreams", Cars, House's what they see themself's doing in 20 years.
I also have alot of respect for guy's like DD, TH, JS, and the Brad Kuhn's of the openwheel world who have either had a chance or not and keep coming back week after week year after year and doing what they love to do. And you know what I'll bet it was there "dream" to run race cars when they were younger.
Enjoy what these guy do everytime there at the track and what the hell if they make it to Napcar I'll watch them on sundays with my eye's shut.

1 member likes this post: Blackduce
9/22/09, 5:15 PM   #35
bigpimpin35

wow for your information doucher he is a successful midget/sprint driver. he got his first usac championship when he was only 13 years old and it was his first year in the series might i add. and for you dumbasses who think cole whitt deserves it more u must all be dirt track racing hillbillies who will never amount to anything in the big time like dakoda will. cole whitt couldn't win on pavement if his life depended on it. he can win on dirt for sure. but does nascar run on dirt? nope. its clearly obvious that dakoda possesses everything that roger penske is looking for. and thats success and potential. so cut the jealousy and be proud of someone that is gonna be bigger and better than u in life.

1 member likes this post: tjtomthumb
9/22/09, 5:52 PM   #36
OpenwheelRob

After reading these posts it makes me think, I see the term 'Jealousy' thrown around a lot. A thought came to my mind is it really jealousy or confusion? While I was growing up I played stick and ball sports and for the most part there were 'Tryouts' because they wanted the best TALENT they could get. So after years and years of competing it was drilled into my head and many others that if you are the best/most talented you will have a place. However, racing is sooo confusing because that is not the case at all...

I remember when I had my first taste of it, I had raced a few times and each time had finished better than a certain female driver. Then I hear she signed a 'Development Deal' and I thought to myself, ***? How does that work? How can someone that hasn't even won a race get a deal like that? I wasn't 'Jealous' I was confused! I never felt I deserved the chance, I felt one of 10 other guys who kicked my butt deserved it...but they didn't get it. How can you be the best and get passed up? It's doesn't seem right? It's like an NFL team choosing some kid from High School in the draft over the Heisman Trophy winner, it's odd and most don't understand it.

Bottom line at the upper levels it's not THE BEST driver's, it's the best drivers that can AFFORD it. Most people haven't learned that yet, and it is a tough pill to swallow because it goes against what we learn growing up. I don't mean to take anything away from Dakota as I've said before, good for him! As for you people coming on here trying to convince us that this deal was done on TALENT alone you can sell that somewhere else. As Jeff Hammond would say, That dog won't hunt.

1 member likes this post: Cale88
9/22/09, 7:09 PM   #37
clark9c

ha cole whitt underfunded thats the funniest joke i've heard all day

9/22/09, 7:33 PM   #38
midgetmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpimpin35 View Post
wow for your information doucher he is a successful midget/sprint driver. he got his first usac championship when he was only 13 years old and it was his first year in the series might i add. and for you dumbasses who think cole whitt deserves it more u must all be dirt track racing hillbillies who will never amount to anything in the big time like dakoda will. cole whitt couldn't win on pavement if his life depended on it. he can win on dirt for sure. but does nascar run on dirt? nope. its clearly obvious that dakoda possesses everything that roger penske is looking for. and thats success and potential. so cut the jealousy and be proud of someone that is gonna be bigger and better than u in life.
Last I checked CW won a National title @ that National title runs on pavement as well as dirt. Has Dakoda won a National title-----a regional title I Believe? GOOD LUCK Dakoda

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenwheelRob View Post
After reading these posts it makes me think, I see the term 'Jealousy' thrown around a lot. A thought came to my mind is it really jealousy or confusion? While I was growing up I played stick and ball sports and for the most part there were 'Tryouts' because they wanted the best TALENT they could get. So after years and years of competing it was drilled into my head and many others that if you are the best/most talented you will have a place. However, racing is sooo confusing because that is not the case at all...

I remember when I had my first taste of it, I had raced a few times and each time had finished better than a certain female driver. Then I hear she signed a 'Development Deal' and I thought to myself, ***? How does that work? How can someone that hasn't even won a race get a deal like that? I wasn't 'Jealous' I was confused! I never felt I deserved the chance, I felt one of 10 other guys who kicked my butt deserved it...but they didn't get it. How can you be the best and get passed up? It's doesn't seem right? It's like an NFL team choosing some kid from High School in the draft over the Heisman Trophy winner, it's odd and most don't understand it.

Bottom line at the upper levels it's not THE BEST driver's, it's the best drivers that can AFFORD it. Most people haven't learned that yet, and it is a tough pill to swallow because it goes against what we learn growing up. I don't mean to take anything away from Dakota as I've said before, good for him! As for you people coming on here trying to convince us that this deal was done on TALENT alone you can sell that somewhere else. As Jeff Hammond would say, That dog won't hunt.
Preach on brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9/22/09, 10:36 PM   #39
hoosierfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark9c View Post
ha cole whitt underfunded thats the funniest joke i've heard all day
It is a funny joke but he did earn his major sponsorship in a nationwide competition did he not? While I give Dakota his due respect he will become more like a Kasey Kahne while Cole will be more like Jeff or Tony just let it all play out and enjoy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by hoosierfan; 9/22/09 at 10:44 PM.

9/22/09, 10:53 PM   #40
service manager

Big Pimpim Cole Whitt has won more races than u probably have ever been to in your life! You could not carry Coles jock strap there water boy. Also one more for the books you need to do your homework before you get on a damn message bored and run your mouth about one of the best shoes to come along in quite a long time! Thanks, Marc Orr

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ARCA-Dakoda Armstrong