IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An apology and a criticism...
9/19/09, 4:39 PM   #21
Re: An apology and a criticism...
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINTCAR View Post
Quote: But we all know its gonna happen with non wingers more than any other form of racing.

We do?

Quote: However; it's the lack of the type of fan that takes joy in seeing a crash that keeps the purses small. This is where the stock cars have an advantage on the open wheel cars. In the stock car deal......fans are able to live out their aggression and cheer crashes and damaged equipment because on the surface it looks fairly safe.(No crashes are safe.)

I think this guy has it right.
IMHO, this is a reflection of the general condition of our whole society. We have become a much coarser group, all one needs to do is watch some of the reality tv shows, so-called political"discussions, etc. As a culture we are more and more able to remove ourselves from especially our words via the anonymity of the internet. Sadly, these attitudes spill over into all parts of ourlives; road rage, and yes so-called race fans who know nothing of the sport. I would point out the difference between a true open wheel fan and a stock car fan is easily summarized and I quote from a recent NASCAR commercial "What do I like best about NASCAR? I like the wrecks!"; this from the sanctioning body itself, Nuff said!

2 members like this post: SPRINTCAR, SprintManDave
9/19/09, 5:27 PM   #22
sprinter2b

First I have to say thank God Dave is O.K.! Maybe next time, Just walk up and ask her for her name and address and I will be glad to send her the repair bill! No matter who is your favorite driver or team is it never right to cheer when someone crashes.

6 members like this post: ColoradoFan, I Miss Manzy, IndyBound, racegal, RWMotorsports
9/19/09, 6:27 PM   #23
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Troy, Thank you for speaking up! Words can't describe how I feel about such people! As we all know too well, guys (and gals) can be seriously injured! It makes me absolutely sick to know people act and think like that! Obviously nobody they truely care about race!
Thank God all the drivers involved in accidents last night are alive today!
Anyway, thank you (and your Mom) again for speaking up!

2 members like this post: aka Liz, Jim Halpert
9/19/09, 6:45 PM   #24
Brolzy

All I've seen about Bloomington last night is this thread so far...is Dave okay?

9/19/09, 7:03 PM   #25
racegal

He is okay! Thank God! Thanks!
Last edited by racegal; 9/20/09 at 1:03 PM.

2 members like this post: Brolzy, SPRINTCAR
9/19/09, 10:16 PM   #26
IndyBound

Susan, glad to hear Dave is all right.

Patti

1 member likes this post: racegal
9/20/09, 12:50 PM   #27
LEADERS EDGE

It isn't only racing,it's most contact sports.(Todays racing is a contact sport)

Hockey fans cheer fights,soccer games have the hoodlums,some football fans throw batteries(or baggies of urine) and cheer when opposing players are hurt(Or boo if Santa is on the field) Some stadiums have jails in them to hold the idiots.

Some people at races cheer crashes.

As far as whats wrong with society today; it isn't only today. People have forgotten about the public hangings, the lions and the christians and an early form of wheeled racing: The Chariot Races. All where notoriously bloody and all where heavily attended.

It is what it is. The most basic spectator of anything isn't a fan(fanatic) of what they are watching, they just thought that is where they should be at that moment. They don't really care about the whos and whats, they just want some form of diversion.

Sort of like how it's funny when someone else bumps their head, falls down, or hurts themselves in some fashion. Without testicals, Americas funniest home videos wouldn't have been that funny.

9/20/09, 2:06 PM   #28
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Without testicals, Americas funniest home videos wouldn't have been that funny.
One of my favorite comedians is Heywood Banks and he has a song called "Trauma to the Groin"

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/138120/detail/

Thanks Leaders Edge for the laugh today.

9/21/09, 10:36 AM   #29
DbSr

This display of despicable behavior was not done by a casual race fan.....Anybody that frequents this board knows who it was and the offender should be ashamed of themselves...They and they alone should be the one offering a apology

2 members like this post: Jim Halpert, racegal
9/21/09, 12:57 PM   #30
racegal

Thank God she isn't suffereing the same guilt as the guys in post # 8.
Dalemo, that must have been terrible!
Last edited by racegal; 9/21/09 at 3:21 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > An apology and a criticism...