IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.i.p. Wayne mcguire
9/7/09, 8:25 PM   #1
R.i.p. Wayne mcguire
smith19

From grayson,ky wayne was one of best modified/sprint drivers of his era. I hear he even cleaned a few clocks around these parts a few times.

9/10/09, 5:59 PM   #2
Re: R.i.p. Wayne mcguire
Maxspeed99

Please tell me this is not true. Its's been a while since I talked to Wayne and Iheard he wasn't doing well but had heard nothing about anything life-threatening. I'll have to check with his nephew, Josh , who is a fine LMS driver behind the wheel of his own #41. Yep Wayne did win races all over, including indiana - at Haubstat and the first race at IRP.

9/10/09, 6:45 PM   #3
FishBurger

Man, I hate to read that. I was priviledged to watch Wayne win the money at some BIG races at the 'Burg in the '60's. He always ran strong here.

9/10/09, 7:56 PM   #4
sprinter25

Now that's a blast from the past for me. I saw Wayne run at the Heidelberg. PA raceway, in the 60's or 70's. His old style supermodified spanked the boys that day.

RIP, Wayne....

9/10/09, 8:15 PM   #5
grinch

I can tell all that Fred Gormley has the fully restored Wayne Mcguire car. Fred was planning on getting it out to Wayne`s to let him see it but...........He did have it at the old timers meet in oswego and the vintage days at NHIS. I can tell you that the car looks real nice. I had heard of wayne but do not remember ever racing against him but he sure won a ton of races. If i hear any word on when the car will be displayed i will post on the board.......Fred has quite a collection of cars todate

9/10/09, 9:13 PM   #6
Supermod
Inactive Member

One of the best ever combo racers, RIP Wayne,

later,

Bob Mays

9/11/09, 6:07 AM   #7
smith19

i was suprised no one commented on this thread for a few days. i know there are a lot of "old timers" on here.:2:. he11 i'm not that old and i've heard of him for years. you didn't see many sprint/mod guys out of the state of ky.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.i.p. Wayne mcguire