IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should blankets to mark seats be allowed days before the show?
Yes 54 23.08%
No 166 70.94%
special circumstances only 14 5.98%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Should there be blankets allowed to be put down before the nights events
9/3/09, 5:55 PM   #11
Re: Should there be blankets allowed to be put down before the nights events
Pat O'Connor Fan

Blankets holding seats instead of the a$$es that will be using them later?
Well, that sucks for a guy who drives a couple hundred miles one-way to Kokomo and finds all of the seats up high already "blanketed". Some folks who live a few blocks away drive out to the track as soon as the first gate opens, put down a multitude of blankets, and go home for the evening meal. They return just in time for the first heat, and those of us who have been out there for an hour have worse seats than Mr. Blanket.
Last edited by Pat O'Connor Fan; 9/4/09 at 12:33 AM. Reason: didn't explain my position in detail at first

2 members like this post: 64chevy, Bruce Harrison
9/3/09, 6:08 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I like what our (PA) tracks do. The top two or three rows are reserved. You pay 40$ per seat at the beginning of the year and thats YOUR seat for the whole year. That includes "Special Events". Not all reserved seats are sold so people can call ahead the weeks they know they will be at a certain race and get a reserved seat that is not already taken...

1) You don't have to worry about getting there early
2) There is still reserved seating
3) More income for the track
4) Evvvvvvvvvvery one's a winner....

badcoupe, you would do that to me ONE TIME........Have a nice day.....

I kinda like this idea, It also helps the track financially and could raise purses a bit.

Other than that. Day of event only. I believe it would be ok to leave them as markers for the second day of a two day show as well

I got to Bloomington July 3rd at 2pm in the afternoon. Any good area to put a chair was taken already by chairs laying there from days before. I'll not complain to much about that as I got a bleacher seat two from the top in front of the concessions. The bleachers leave a lot to be desired though.

1 member likes this post: Bruce Harrison
9/3/09, 6:29 PM   #13
Rpracing1

Five hours before race time the stands should be clear. Then you may put down your blankets.

At the Frog Follies in Evansville, one of the biggest street rod gathering in the country, I heard that officials drive around the fairgrounds in a truck, and if they see folding chairs saving spots for people, they pick up the chairs and throw them in the back of the truck, to later be distributed to a deserving charity.

9/3/09, 6:54 PM   #14
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I totally agree with Pine that there should be reserved seats available. East Bay is over 1,000 miles for me to drive and I don't mind paying a little more to know that I have a seat waiting for me. I really don't understand why the only tracks in Indiana I have found which have reserved seats are Tri State and Terre Haute. I also agree with being able to put down a blanket the day of the race. Perris is over a 2,000 mile drive for me and they don't sell reserved seats. I really don't want to drive that far and have a bad seat, so I go early enough to get a good one. If a track sells reserved seats, I buy them. If not, I want to be able to get there early and put down a blanket. I realize that my raceday routine is different from most of you. I get to the track early, put down a blanket, and then go to the pits. I take pictures until hot laps and then go to my seat in the grandstand to watch the races. On tracks where I can get into the infield (half miles), I take pictures during hot laps and then go sit in the grandstands.

In 7 years I have had no problems or complaints, except for this year in the pit bleachers at Gas City where some individuals of perhaps questionable upbringing took up my blanket, threw it under the pit bleachers, and then used my tape to tape their blanket on the top row.

I totally understand the frustration people have when seats can be taped off all year. IMHO, that is a policy which is in serious need of rethinking. I is also irritating when three people save enough room to seat six people comfortably or seats are taped off and no one ever shows up. I have no problem when someone's wife, husband, best friend, etc. may have to work late and wants a seat saved. However, there should be a point in the evening when saved seats are no longer saved, when large taped gaps in the grandstand can be filled. Seems to me that common courtesy should be the rule here, and most (but unfortunately not all) race fans show it to each other.

Anyone want to start another thread on stadium seats which take up two rows?

9/3/09, 7:05 PM   #15
bojo20

How can you say it helps a track financialy ? If your a race fan you don't only go to an event if you have been able to put down a blanket days ahead.If thats the case you can stay home.I know many people who stay away because of all the blankets.I drive in every year from Arizona for Sprint week and other events and have got to tracks early {GAS CITY} and every row had things taped and saved.I left and went back to the motel.I think its very unfair.

3 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, JEFFSTOY, Pat O'Connor Fan
9/3/09, 7:21 PM   #16
bigq11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I kinda like this idea, It also helps the track financially and could raise purses a bit.

Other than that. Day of event only. I believe it would be ok to leave them as markers for the second day of a two day show as well

I got to Bloomington July 3rd at 2pm in the afternoon. Any good area to put a chair was taken already by chairs laying there from days before. I'll not complain to much about that as I got a bleacher seat two from the top in front of the concessions. The bleachers leave a lot to be desired though.
You will find no chairs or other markings from DAYS BEFORE at Bloomington. They always open the gates at 5PM the day prior to the event for fans to go in and mark their seats or put their chairs in the desired location. Nothing is allowed before that time. This prevents someone from marking seats for the entire season and not always showing up, as is allowed at a track farther north.

I think fans who support a track on a regular basis should get first chance at their regular seats for the special events also. After all, over a seasons time, we spend many more dollars at our home track than the special event only fans.JMO

2 members like this post: JEFFSTOY, kawkaw2
9/3/09, 7:33 PM   #17
Leftcoastmudeater

I dont think it should be a practice day's before a show or for a whole season, Thats crap. I think the stands should be cleared the morning of the show, then if you get there early and can get into the stands to put a blanket down so be it. I infact practice this at shows in which I am camping, I put my blanket on my seats in the AM after the stands have been cleared, then enjoy some adault beverages & some adault fun then head to the stands after wheel packing knowing my seats are good & at the end of the night I pick up my blanket & head back to camp. I too whole heartedly agree that if you have moved my blanket prepair for me to move your teeth.

9/3/09, 7:36 PM   #18
clayton92fan

I agree that there should not be taped off seats for the entire year. I do like the way Haubstadt does this, Day of show the grandstand is open to mark your seats if you want to get there early. I live in Kokomo so getting there early takes extra effort but I know if I get there I at least have a chance as does everyone else at getting a prime seat. I usually do not go to Gas City because of the seating policy. Opening the stands early so everyone has a chance is the best program as far as I am concerned.

9/3/09, 7:44 PM   #19
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

I love Gas City's policy of seats for the whole year.I don't have to put down a blanket every week.So if I work late I know I have my seat.Take about taking care of your regular customers

9/3/09, 7:52 PM   #20
bojo20

Sorry to disagree bigq11 but for sprint week I got to the track at 10am and the entire hillside off turn 4 was covered with lawn chairs Now if it was not allowed till 7 hours later tell me how this could me ???????????????????????/

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Should there be blankets allowed to be put down before the nights events