IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dakota Armstrong to be Penske developmental driver
8/19/09, 2:33 PM   #11
Re: Dakota Armstrong to be Penske developmental driver
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetmaniac View Post
I can think of 20 drivers more deserving of this deal in sprints and midgets.
This exact same quote could have been posted when Carl Edwards moved up from USAC to NASCAR.

8/19/09, 3:03 PM   #12
AP64

You are lying to yourself, if you say you wouldn't do the same for one of your own children.

8/19/09, 3:23 PM   #13
Tony Barhorst

A.J Foyt's dad was a driving force helping him make it...The best thing about it then...The cars were not super expensive...

8/19/09, 3:28 PM   #14
Hclarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAsprintcar View Post
not as much as you pay keith prob...
Hmmm....I can almost guarantee you at the end of the year - it cost more to run Dakoda's schedule with the ARCA deal in there. Racing in the ARCA series is expensive. Racing the Camping World Series is expensive - racing is expensive. As far as what those numbers are - BIG. Just plain ole BIG.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
So what, if anything productive has come from this thread? (1) I daresay that only a very few people on the board have any real idea of what the terms of this contract were - that is between the Armstrong family and Tim Cindric and the principals at Penske Racing. (2) Near as I can tell Dakoda is a good kid and comes from a great family. (3) He has won a championship and has worked hard at his craft. (4) Maybe the family did something to help him - big deal - I have done everything that I could do to help my 2 kids be successful - and most of the parents on this board have done the same (5) If you think the world is a total meritocracy - get ready to get a sobbering lesson. Most people have worked for a boss they were sure they were smarter than. Most have watched a total zero get the girl or guy you were interested in. Most have watched total suck-up worthless jerks get promoted and raises they didn'ty deserve. Racing isn't a meritocracy either - never has been - never will be. If there was real karma in life Dave Darland would be starting his 15th Indy 500 and Milka would be doing a fashion shoot in Brazil. Yet, the fact that Dave didn't get the break he deserved isn't Milka's fault - and Milka shouldn't be badmouthed because she seized an opportunity. What do you say we drop the bitter beer face and just be happy that one of our own has got a chance. And by the way - if anyone here has been around Roger Penske - guess what - either Dakoda performs or he doesn't - and performance means the entire package of on and off the track.

All great points. Wow - DD at Indy - what if? And performance at Penske? You know the old saying: be careful what you wish for. There's a bit more pressure at that level. I agree - Dakoda is a great kid.

8/19/09, 3:50 PM   #15
Knoke77

I got to see Dakoda run the ARCA car at Kentucky Speedway and thought he did a darn good job.

8/19/09, 8:54 PM   #16
OpenwheelRob

I don't mean to bash Dakota at all, but "development deals" are a joke! Why not just call them what they are extremely high priced RENTALS. They call them "Development" just to make it look better in a press release! If you want a development deal let me know I know plenty of teams looking for "Development Drivers" cost is gonna be upwards of $1 Mil.+ for ARCA...should be easy for working class guy, right?

8/19/09, 8:59 PM   #17
psullivan

It depends on the deal Rob -- some are certainly as you describe

8/19/09, 9:11 PM   #18
OpenwheelRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
It depends on the deal Rob -- some are certainly as you describe
It does depend on the deal but I'd guess your odds are almost better to win the lottery than get a development deal based solely on talent!

People need to start telling it like it is and quit giving kids the idea that if they work hard enough, and win enough race's they can make it to the big time! As sad as I am to say it, it just doesn't work that way. I'm not just talking NASCAR either! 90% money 9% who you know 1% talent....

I go back to a quote I will never forget that rocked my world "If you want a ride you need to bring a bag full of trophies or a bag full of money, and money work's everytime!"
Last edited by OpenwheelRob; 8/19/09 at 9:13 PM.

8/19/09, 11:33 PM   #19
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Barhorst View Post
A.J Foyt's dad was a driving force helping him make it...The best thing about it then...The cars were not super expensive...
AJ Foyt he was so poore he even got fired while in Dizz Wilson cars in 1957.

8/19/09, 11:41 PM   #20
JakeMoore

Nothing like this should ever be compared to A.J. Foyt..not many kids desereve to carry his helmet bag. Including the kid typing this. Plan and simple money buys rides. Raced with the Armstrongs in 1/4s and 600s money behind all of it. The kids won a kenyon championship and thats about it. Does he deserve the deal? Why yes he does. Why? because he as the money and money will deserve you a ride everytime.Money over Talent never fails.
Last edited by JakeMoore; 8/19/09 at 11:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: Dwayne
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dakota Armstrong to be Penske developmental driver