IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mt. Vernon IL track closes
5/4/09, 10:29 PM   #1
Mt. Vernon IL track closes
jmichels

It was announced today that the track at Mt. Vernon, IL would not open this year and that the property would be sold. MSCS had run there in the past.

1 member likes this post: onthegas7j
5/4/09, 10:34 PM   #2
Re: Mt. Vernon IL track closes
Sprint63122

Or someone can rent it for $10,000 a month to run it per the article on STL.racing.com that I read earlier.

5/4/09, 11:08 PM   #3
Motormasher

Let r sell........

5/5/09, 8:08 AM   #4
Rpracing1

This a big surprise????

5/5/09, 9:31 AM   #5
skids59

I am from the area, and know or have worked for all the previous owners except for the promoters a couple of years ago when MSCS tried to run there.It is no surprise to me it is up for sale. A new overpass is almost complete just 1/2 mile to the north of the track. Seems real good for easy access to the track but it also made the property worth more, maybe. There has never been enough equipment available to properly prep track except when Kenny Lomax had it. He made it what is there today.could be a great place to race with some TLC $$$$ and WATER. I hate to see it go, but it is the dirtiest track I've ever seen sprints run on, ever. It was never really given an extended opportunity to develop into a sprint car facility. I will continue to support Tri-state, Tri-city, Lawerceburg, Terre Haute,Macon, Jacksonville, Belleville,Creek Co.etc. as I always have over the years. Thanks for your time Jeff Skidmore.

5/5/09, 10:35 AM   #6
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

never waws a big fan of mt vernon went down once or twice never really liked the place.... i still say charleston needs more open wheel stuff... speaking of saturday night at ctown scora sprints...... and ive heard rumors of mike cobble tryin to get a poweri date...

5/5/09, 6:18 PM   #7
Great Scott

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 63

I went to a MSCS race there a couple of years ago. The place certainly needed some attention but had some potential if someone had some money to put into it. Sorry it is going away but I understand.

5/5/09, 9:14 PM   #8
sprint38racer

Always hate to see a track close, but if I had a choice on which one, it would be that place, was a crapper 20 years ago and a crapper now, never changed.

5/6/09, 2:06 PM   #9
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I went to the MSCS race in 2007 and about the only positive thing I can say is that the pork chop sandwiches were good! I remember the first sprint car taking a practice lap left a black mark in the first turn. The smell of rubber from the burning right rear tires permeated the air during the feature.
It was fairly easy to reach from Evansville, but that one and only visit I ever made left me totally unimpressed.

5/6/09, 2:15 PM   #10
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I went to the MSCS race in 2007 and about the only positive thing I can say is that the pork chop sandwiches were good! I remember the first sprint car taking a practice lap left a black mark in the first turn. The smell of rubber from the burning right rear tires permeated the air during the feature.
It was fairly easy to reach from Evansville, but that one and only visit I ever made left me totally unimpressed.
We went to that race also Ron, seems to me Kevin Briscoe won, and I think he said something about burning up two RR that night.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mt. Vernon IL track closes