IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Differences between USAC Sprints & Silver Crown cars?
8/23/16, 7:45 PM   #1
Differences between USAC Sprints & Silver Crown cars?
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

For the less educated about the 2 divisions like my self.

Besides the obvious difference in wheel base
What are the differences between the USAC Sprints & USAC Sliver Crown cars?

This is what I do know / have heard
Silver Crown
355 ci
60-70 Gallon fuel cell

Sprints
410 ci
18-33 gallon fuel cell
Last edited by nathans1012; 8/23/16 at 7:50 PM.

8/23/16, 10:09 PM   #2
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Crown cars have the engine set more forward like a pavement car. Anywhere from 46-50". A sprint is 39-41". Of course they also have a clutch. Some of them run coil over shocks all the way around unlike sprint cars. BTW the smallest sprint tail I know of is 25 gallons. I wish the would go back to 41 gallon tanks. They looked way better.

5 members like this post: DAD, davidm, nathans1012, oppweld, racer5c
8/23/16, 10:42 PM   #3
treecitytornado

I think most Champ Car Tanks are 75 Gallon. Most Sprint Car guys run 28 or 33 gallon on dirt. A little bigger on pavement.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
8/24/16, 12:31 AM   #4
flagboy55

I suggest you go to the 4 crown this year and enjoy the virtues of all 3 USAC divisions. You can see it all first hand, plus the lighting fast winged cars both nights. Many folks from NWI think that the world's hundred is the only race they run at the big E, but they couldn't be more wrong. I love the world, but you can't ever beat open wheel cars around Eldora

8/24/16, 11:17 AM   #5
Re: Differences between USAC Sprints & Silver Crown cars?
ThePurple73

There is something you can't measure technically about the Silver Crown cars racing. It is kind of magical that turns you very sentimental about Silver Crown racing. Many memories are formed.

You look forward to see if some car can shake the grand stand like Chuck Gurney in the black Plastic Express did.

You wonder what lap Gary B. will take the lead in the #9 Delrose Holt car.

I always think you should see Dave Darland coming up through the field in the beautiful blue 56 car.

You think about Rich Vogler in the Seymore 2, Ron Shuman in the 21 was always a threat. Now another Shuman is going for wins.

You knew you are at a Silver Crown race when they said Randy Bateman was on the track.

All the newer guys really pouring it on like Cockrum, the Swansons, Coons always make things exciting now.

Seems any "official" Silver Crown race should have a driver with "JP" on his helmet.

Nothing better than Silver Crown. Lots of memories but making new ones every year.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 8/24/16 at 11:41 AM.

8/24/16, 11:22 AM   #6
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

The Purple 73... you miss one word..... HEWITT

4 members like this post: flagboy55, ISF, Jbaldwin, luckybuc97
8/24/16, 11:28 AM   #7
ThePurple73

Wizard 5 you are 100 per cent correct. Hewitt in the 63. How many laps did he lead over the years.
He definitely led a lot at the right time!

2 members like this post: flagboy55, ISF
8/24/16, 11:49 AM   #8
Wizard 05

I'm partial.. we are very close and he is one of my son's God Father (that paints a strange picture also
But the man could/can run a big car with anybody, the nights with the high line around the BIG E or up against the rail at TH were the best.
Last edited by Wizard 05; 8/24/16 at 11:58 AM.

8/24/16, 12:11 PM   #9
ISF

Mr. Hewitt holds the record to this day for the fastest 100 miles ever turned at The Springfield Mile. 56 minutes, 7 seconds which computes out to just under 107 MPH average for the 100 miles. Ol' Jack set that mark back in 1987 while at the helm of Gussie, good ol' number 63. I was there and will never forget it!

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
8/24/16, 12:20 PM   #10
Wizard 05

People can throw all the names of the past that they want.. in my mind "Dew It" is still the king of the big cars

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Differences between USAC Sprints & Silver Crown cars?