IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Races between Ocala and Tampa
12/14/14, 5:55 PM   #1
Races between Ocala and Tampa
The Old Coyote

Are there any tracks racing Sunday, Monday or Tuesday nights?

12/14/14, 8:40 PM   #2
Re: Races between Ocala and Tampa
Stevensville Mike

Well, you have the Daytona 500, but they have fenders.

Only other gig is the Sanford Orlando Kennel Club runs greyhound races throughout the week. No fenders. They are true open wheelers/pawers and they run on dirt.

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, Len Cockman
12/14/14, 9:14 PM   #3
cowboyhar69

Ocala if the "R" word happens.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

12/14/14, 9:25 PM   #4
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

This is the question I asked a few weeks ago. I was told there aren't, but there are many things to do in Florida. I've been there many years since the early 70s and don't know of any. Maybe a bunch of us could drive to the Keys. I've never seen them. Or, could take the advice of one of my neighbors many years ago. I asked what there was to do in Mobile (next to Pensacola). She said, "Rent a car and drive to New Orleans). I'm sure that's possible, too.

1 member likes this post: flatout18
12/15/14, 10:15 AM   #5
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Well, you have the Daytona 500, but they have fenders.

Only other gig is the Sanford Orlando Kennel Club runs greyhound races throughout the week. No fenders. They are true open wheelers/pawers and they run on dirt.
I would rather the dogs than NASCRAP! I really do like your description of them. It reminds me when I grew up at Raceway Park in Blue Island Illinois in the 50's. One year they actually built a dog track in the infield and had dog races during intermission. I though it was pretty cool but I guess the paying customers didn't. It lasted only one year. All kidding aside, thanks for the tip, I may go see them.

12/15/14, 10:40 PM   #6
Stevensville Mike

I was going to throw in a few quips about the "Lucky Dog", but the canines run straight up - no gimmicks.

Although I did see a race once where there was a caution for debris on the track. Actually it was a red flag. Someone threw a rubber ball out onto the front stretch as they were coming down to the wire. It was like watching a bunch of drunk sailors - they didn't care what they were chasing.

All bets were refunded.... Amazing what might happen when there is serious $$$ on the line.

12/16/14, 9:27 AM   #7
Tracy Turner

Don Garlits museum is worth seeing if you have never been. Its mostly drag racing with one building of mostly just old cars but it is well done and very nicely put together. Allot of history. Right in Ocala off of I75.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Races between Ocala and Tampa