IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Drunk Driver destroyed racers dreams
7/18/12, 12:40 AM   #1
Drunk Driver destroyed racers dreams
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

JUST WANTED TO PASS THIS ALONG...HOPE IT NEVER HAPPENS TO YOU

Wayne and I were in a bad wreck this morning coming back home for the race track...at 3:01am 1 mile from the hi-way exit traveling at 60 mph we got run over by a drunk driver .....here is the impact to the trailer...was estimated the drunk guy in his Chevy truck was running over 90 mph....he hit the trailer as I was sleeping in the passenger seat then pushed the trailer completely around then went in the ditch and hit a tree...as he was trying to back out and leave, Wayne went down the ditch to check on him only to get run over by his truck as he was trying to back out, then he put it back in drive and hit the tree again...Wayne was able to get the keys out but was not able to sub-due the guy as he took off into the woods....They did transport Wayne to Mayo Clinic ER with severe Back pain and 220/130 blood pressure....have been here since 4 am waiting...Darrin and Kimmie did come to help with the trailer and truck...as you see SEVERE damage to the trailer and the back of the truck along with both sides of the truck.....I am really getting sore and will go get checked out also...will keep you updated when I know more Kari Davis

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

At home resting yet still hurting....not as bad as I do when I go outside to see the trailer and contents along with my truck tore all to hell....just very thankful that I was pulling a trailer for I might not be here today... I was doing 62 with the cruise control on and he hit me estimated at 90...again thanks for all the prayers and hope to see ya soon at the races...Wayne Davis

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/18/12, 6:15 AM   #2
Re: Drunk Driver destroyed racers dreams
PJ Wright

Wayne and Kari: That's terrible!!! I'm thankful your injuries aren't any worse. Sad to say that even if they catch the guy that did it, he won't be punished in any meaningful way. I hope you can recover from this quickly and completely.

1 member likes this post: timmanis2000
7/18/12, 6:22 AM   #3
backitin

Thankfully it wasnt worse. I always figured getting to and from the races was just as dangerous as the racing.

2 members like this post: Motormasher, randy j
7/18/12, 9:43 AM   #4
IndyBound

Wayne and Kari, I am glad your injuries aren't any worse and wish you both a full recovery. Kari please do get checked out, often we don't realize how serious whiplash injuries can be. While a broken bone will heal whiplash injuries can remain with you for the rest of your life, so please get checked over. Wish you both all the best.

Patti

7/18/12, 10:36 AM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

So sorry to hear about your accident. I hope that your recovery time is short and that you will be back in action soon. It certainly sounds like it could have been much worse.

If/when they catch the drunk, we can only hope that they throw the book at him. Time to get these types of people off of our roadways forever. Keep us updated when time permits.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

7/18/12, 10:49 AM   #6
team3521

Wayne and Kari,
Have you heard if your insurance is going to go after the guy and if they're planning on replacing or repairing your truck, trailer, and eany thing else that was destroyed by this idiot?

7/18/12, 1:41 PM   #7
DAD

Sorry about the wreck.

Most of the stuff that got messed up can be replaced except your health, I know about back pain that can make you a mean old person.

Thank God you had that big old trailer behind you or, we probably would not be talking with you about your loss right now. It's a shame you weren't in a semi-truck that would have probably stopped him in his tracks. Was his truck reported stolen, wonder who gave him a ride home?

To heck with all that stuff hurry up and get up and out.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: speed bump
7/18/12, 1:49 PM   #8
backitin

Sorry thing is nobody gets the book throw at them for DUI, if it's his first one they'll probley put him in a accelerated rehab program. Barely a slap on the wrist. Should be a year in jail mandatory for a first DUI offence. The only good alcohol is the stuff race cars run on.

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, Xflagman
7/18/12, 6:06 PM   #9
Sprintcarfanatic

First off let me say I'm glad you all are doing ok. Don't know what the laws are in Florida but the thing about Insurance is if he don't any that will suck big time. Your Insurance may have to pick up the tab. A guy here in Cridersville, Ohio was running from the cops in his girlfriends car, He hits the rr tracks at an estimated 70 mph & goe's airborne, When he hit the road 3 tires blew out & he tried to make a left hand turn at the 2nd street only to have the car partially turn. Well he ran into the corner of my Uncle's house & knocked the front of the house off the foundation 15 inches & I forget how much the back of the house was off. Anyways the fella didn't have insurance & my Uncle's Insurance had to bite it. The guy had no drivers license either. They had people come out & ended up just tearing the place down & rebuilding.
Last edited by Sprintcarfanatic; 7/18/12 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Added

7/18/12, 6:20 PM   #10
thebus79h

Wish everybody a speedy recovery for sure, hope all goes well.

I had a friend of mine get into a wreck with a guy that didn't have a license, or insurance, and the insurance agent (this was in Ohio as well), recommended that he get a lawyer, and sue the person that hit him. He did, and obviously won, which replaced his car, covered his medical bills, all the rest of the bills, and had a bit of cash left over in his pocket. You can always replace the stuff in the trailer, but you can't replace a person.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Drunk Driver destroyed racers dreams