IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprint addition
2/6/12, 11:12 AM   #1
USAC Sprint addition
cowboyhar69

SPRINTS RETURN TO MICHIGAN’S I-96 SPEEDWAY AUGUST 10

The USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car Series returns to Michigan August 10 for a race at I-96 Speedway in Lake Odessa. The race will be the first for the series on dirt in the Great Lakes State in 16 years!

The August 10 date is coupled with an already-announced August 11 race at Hartford Motor Speedway. Jay Drake won USAC’s last Sprint race at Hartford in 2000.

Mark Cassella won the last USAC Sprint race on the dirt in Michigan, a 30-lapper at I-96, which has hosted the series five times. Jack Hewitt won three of those and is one of only two drivers to record multiple USAC wins in Michigan in 25 previous appearances. The other is Eric Gordon, who also won three features.

Michigan has proven to be one of the most unpredictable states in USAC history. IN 25 races there, 21 different winners have emrged! Jud Larson won the inaugural at Berlin Raceway in 1959 and Clauson won the most recent, also at Berlin in 2010. In all classes, a total of exactly 100 different drivers have won USAC races in the state of Michigan.

"We are incredibly excited to bring these guys back to Michigan,” adds I-96 race organizer Mike Mouch. “We know it will be a spectacular night of dirt track racing! This weekend will be a big deal for Michigan racing!"

“We hope this starts a new era of USAC racing in the state,” says USAC’s Jason McCord, who has competed at the Lake Odessa oval. “

The 2012 AMSOIL National Srrint Car Series opens February 9-11 at Bubba Raceway Park in Ocala, Fla. and encompasses nearly 50 races across the country

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2/6/12, 11:53 AM   #2
Re: USAC Sprint addition
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
The USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car Series returns to Michigan August 10 for a race at I-96 Speedway in Lake Odessa. The race will be the first for the series on dirt in the Great Lakes State in 16 years!

Jay Drake won USAC’s last Sprint race at Hartford in 2000.

Mark Cassella won the last USAC Sprint race on the dirt in Michigan, a 30-lapper at I-96.
Not sure I understand this part of the press release. Hartford was a dirt track in 2000 as well. So, it's only been 12 years, right???

Nonetheless, it's always great to see additions to the schedule. Glad to see it!

2 members like this post: apexonephoto, billwill7
2/6/12, 8:22 PM   #3
tamati

finally sprints on the half mile,not to take anything away from indiana but your state lacks half mile dirt tracks.

1 member likes this post: monkeyboy
2/6/12, 10:21 PM   #4
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamati View Post
finally sprints on the half mile,not to take anything away from indiana but your state lacks half mile dirt tracks.
I'd bet money the race is on the 3/8ths.

2/6/12, 10:53 PM   #5
miwingless

I am so "geeked" about this w/e in August!! We spend a lot of time in Indiana watching these guys and can't wait to have them in our backyard. Calling all my Indiana friends to come up and support these events so we can have them back on a regular basis. Woohoo!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by miwingless; 2/6/12 at 10:54 PM.

4 members like this post: bmemmer, koolaid89, SPD 37, speed bump
2/6/12, 10:55 PM   #6
treecitytornado

At I96, probably the 3/8, but I don't think Hartford has a small track, and their track is listed at a 1/2, but more like a 5/8.

Posted via Mobile Device

2/6/12, 11:38 PM   #7
Bad Dad 54

@96 USAC will be on 3/8, Hartford only has 1 track a big 1/2 mile, seen it listed as a 9/16th. Long straights tight turns, one fast joint here. View from a top the concrete stands is fantastic.

1 member likes this post: Vukie
2/7/12, 12:47 AM   #8
racephoto1

Tamati, I take it you've never been to Terre Haute. Half mile 3 feet from the inside guardrail.

2/7/12, 3:54 PM   #9
duel

It will be nice to have USAC on some big dirt tracks in our back yard. I hope the I-96 show is on the half as the ama flat track and woo run on it (National event). The sprints put on some awesome long drifts when they last raced there years ago. Tamati has been to Terre Haute many times but not as much as he should.

1 member likes this post: tamati
2/8/12, 5:50 AM   #10
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

I would like to see them race at Butler Motor Speedway. Nice track and only a few mins from I-69. I grew up going to that track and try to make it back whenever I can, even though they run winged 410 on a weekly basis.

2 members like this post: duel, i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprint addition