IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Difference That Makes The Difference
10/5/09, 6:51 PM   #1
The Difference That Makes The Difference
Jerry Shaw

One of the major things that separates being good, from being great, is just how much one is willing to endure, along the path to realizing their full potential. One type is willing to do whatever it takes. Literally. And the other does that, up to a point. A point that equals or exceeds their personal comfort level. One of the best parts about this type of racing, IMO, is that it provides a perfect proving ground for that distinction. We’ve all seen many that hit the scene, made a tremendous first impression and looked great. Until something major happened, that is. Whether it was a horrific crash, an injury that came within centimeters of taking their life or mobility or just an extended period that they didn’t live up to expectations. They were never the same after that. But, who could blame them. It’s the same reaction to a traumatic event that most mortal human beings would have. Then there are the chosen few that seem to be undeterred by anything. No matter how severe, soul crushing or brutal that “anything” might be. I saw that quality in abundance this weekend, as these competitors went to war, on this big, fast, high-banked monster.

Not so long ago, Chris Windom was involved in a crash during Illinois Sprint Week that left him with three fractured vertebrae. That took him away from the sport, just when he was starting to come into his own. It would stand to reason that it would take at least a little while for him to get his bearing back and get back to the level he was at, before such a devastating injury. But, these are the kind of individuals that defy reason. It’s his second or third weekend back and he’s right back at the top of the sport. He was on the podium both nights and was involved in many of the weekend’s great battles.

Coleman Gulick, not too long ago, was involved in a terrible crash. It was one of those, that as someone in the stands that night, I can attest to what a violent flip that was. It literally took the breath out of the crowd, until the announcer spoke up and said he had made it through it, was conscious and speaking. And when he first rolled onto the track Friday night, my first thought was how excruciating it must feel for him to just be buckled in, with the injuries he suffered at Lakeside. Let alone adding the beating that these guys take, on top of that. And although he was a bit tentative at first, as the weekend unfolded, you could see open up and come back to life. By the time Saturday night’s feature was over, he looked pretty much like the pre-crash Coleman Gulick. I don’t know how good this guy will or will not end up being. But, if he ever doesn’t live up to his potential, it won’t be due to a lack of courage.

Although he had a terrible weekend, you can’t talk about this subject without giving Bryan Clauson his due. Here’s a guy that only 20 years old. He’s survived and came back from a broken neck. He’s beat his brains in on the wall, fence and down grade of Eldora’s turn one and was racing in Indiana Sprint Week, like three weeks later. Made it to NASCAR. Had the rug pulled out from underneath him there. And somehow returned here, even better than he was before. Nobody’s had a better overall year in sprint and midget racing than that guy has. Crybaby? I think not.

Brady Bacon is another one who has came back from a major setback. He raced his way to prominence several years ago, with a string of midget wins out west. That got him the high profile ride with Kasey Kahne. That didn’t work out, so he ended up back where he came from. And anybody that’s been to TNT knows that he’s been working his way back up through the sport, ever since. If anything, the adversity has made him a better, tougher driver, than he was before. And Saturday night was a great example of that. He raced his way in from the B. Started towards the back. Got ran over on the first lap. Wouldn’t have even made it back out, had Jesse Hockett not flipped on the yellow. Rolled back onto the track during that red and charged through the field to finish 7th, from the tail. On a track that you weren’t supposed to be able to pass on. Brady must not have gotten that memo.

Jon Stanbrough and Damion Gardner are two drivers that, due to the high water marks that each has already set for himself, have been perceived as not having good years. A good year for Stanbrough is 25 wins. If he wins ten (a great year for most drivers), people are saying “What’s wrong with Jon Stanbrough?” He’s been thought dead and finished more times than Rasputin. Only to prove, as Mark Twain said “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.” Damion Gardner set the World on fire, his last year in California. Breaking track records everywhere he went. Racking up just about 20 wins. Instead of staying out there in a comfort zone, he tempted fate and headed east to prove himself in racing’s toughest neighborhood. And although he’s had some challenging years, by his standards, he’s hung in there and battled away. It’s paid him back with a Chili Bowl title and now, a high profile USAC win. If he had any quit in him at all, he wouldn’t have been mentally prepared to take wins like that. Both paid no attention to the fact that The Burg was super fast and not all that easy to pass on both nights this weekend, strapped in and showed what sets these kind of races apart from others. The ones that are just going to find a way. No matter what. And that’s just exactly what they did.

These are all examples of guys that have been on the canvas, but instead of being counted out, have gotten back up fighting. They are by no means the only ones, just ones that stuck out to me, on a weekend of high risk racing, on a fast, challenging racing surface.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 10/6/09 at 2:44 PM.

10/5/09, 7:22 PM   #2
Re: The Difference That Makes The Difference
DbSr

Kudos Mr. Shaw on focusing on what really was the story of the weekend.

10/5/09, 7:47 PM   #3
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Jerry, thanks for another great message. You also continue to meet and beat the marks you have set for yourself. Keep on writing.

10/6/09, 12:06 AM   #4
skids59

Mr. Shaw you continue to show an amazing talent, only a few as you are blessed with. Thank you.

10/6/09, 2:46 AM   #5
I Miss Manzy

Jerry,
I ask again,does Dave Argabright know about you?

10/6/09, 9:00 AM   #6
v8j

you are right Mr.Shaw but alot of people forget that and focus on rumors and bull#%&($#!!+_)?><%^ !the place where one finishes is only part of the story. p.s. Mr.Shaw when are you wrighting a book? put me down for one

10/6/09, 9:32 AM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Jerry, was good talking with you a bit friday night. I knew something like this would come from your visit
Thanks!
Chuck

10/6/09, 10:52 AM   #8
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Another great read Jerry. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading your next article.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Difference That Makes The Difference