IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Armscamp Speedway
12/17/07, 2:08 PM   #1
Armscamp Speedway
Pitpass

A friend of mine told me the other day that he found the old Armscamp Speedway, west of Alexandria,IN while surfing Google Earth. I checked it out and this is the image of what is left:

also found this article with the history of the track:

http://zenas4.tripod.com/orestesindi...tory/id29.html

This might be old news to some of you, but I thought it was interesting. My friend and I are going to take a trip up there sometime in the near future and maybe take a few photos.

1 member likes this post: zenas1924
12/17/07, 3:50 PM   #2
Re: Armscamp Speedway
Checker'd Past

Went there a couple of years ago. Walked around the whole place. Most of it is still there. I remember attending races there with my dad in the 1950's. BTW if you go to Scampy"s restaurant in Anderson, there are some photos of Armscamp.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
1/7/09, 10:18 PM   #3
Pitpass

From last year

1/7/09, 11:22 PM   #4
LEADERS EDGE

Makes me miss my old buddy;Lew Morgan. He always talked of his days with Armscamp.

2 members like this post: GregD, racer5c
1/7/09, 11:42 PM   #5
RcrSkyChk

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: n/a

I've been back there many times...it's very easy to get back to and you can still walk most of the track, the wall is still there as well as some lights...we actually have one of the hold lights shhhh. it had fallen off the post and we took it, that was like ten years ago, but just went in the spring and my dad and i were able to get all the way around fighting some brush along the way

1/8/09, 6:08 AM   #6
chad

The track is almost across the street from Donnie Adams Jr's house on Hwy 28. About 6 miles from my house. I am way to young to have ever been there but have :thumbsdown:walked it several times and a few years ago there was some interest in opening it back up(that came from a reliable source) But I think the plans have changed because of the economy and that situation that alot of us are in.

1/8/09, 10:23 AM   #7
Dblchkrs

There also appears to be the remnants of a track about a mile west of there at the corner of US28 & N200W. Any ideas?
Bloomington Speedway
Kokomo Speedway

1/8/09, 11:59 AM   #8
RcrSkyChk

I've never heard about another track down there... is there a chance that the first time they closed armscamp that they maybe had to move it some too do to the original damage? or did they reopen at the exact same location? I never heard for sure i just know it closed once due to fire and once due to the tornado...that would be nice if they reopened it...yeah its right behind like a trucking expo across from the Adams.

1/8/09, 12:09 PM   #9
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblchkrs View Post
There also appears to be the remnants of a track about a mile west of there at the corner of US28 & N200W. Any ideas?
That looks like it might be one that used for training horses. We have quite few like that here in the Houston area.

1/8/09, 12:11 PM   #10
RcrSkyChk

oh yeah and now that i think about it My cousin lives down there close to 28 and 200W...It could be one they used to do his ATV racing...are you sure its remnants and not just a dirt one...not to sound stupid i just haven't seen the picture

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Armscamp Speedway