IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dallara DW12
10/7/13, 5:29 PM   #1
Dallara DW12
Puppy

So what is the concensus on the crashworthiness of the new Dallara DW12? Dario's crash at Houston has to be the new chassis' toughest real crash test yet... I think it did a good job considering Dario seems to be injured less then the other drivers who have had trips into the fence, ie, Krosnoff, Renna, Zampedri, Hamilton, Brack, Briscoe(Ganassi), Conway, Wheldon and any others I'm forgetting. Sure he wasn't traveling 200mph plus, but niether was Krosnoff...

10/7/13, 8:55 PM   #2
Re: Dallara DW12
har59

That fence was not nearly as ridged as permanent tracks. Nor was the head impacted the car did its job in sheding energy, if we could compare impact forces with say dannys crash the numbers would b far less.

The ovals need the main fence posts outside the track, but if all the factors line up tragedy will strike again, for me down tubes next to the cockpit would help but then the ugly factor would b talked about.

Id take that kinda ugly over the true ugly we all pray never happens again but no matter what is done it will happen in open wheel again.....

2 members like this post: jdull99, team3521
10/7/13, 10:39 PM   #3
racephoto1

Ugly or no ugly, no matter how hard you try, auto racing is an inherently dangerous sport. You can do whatever you want safety wise, but you'll never be able to totally protect a driver from injury or possible death. You can only do the best you can do and hope it's enough. This season, unfortunately for those of us involved in this sport have found that out.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, mowerman, team3521
10/8/13, 5:01 PM   #4
Puppy

What happened in Danny's crash can't be guarded against. Not at those speeds. That has even happened in stock cars(Charlotte Sporstman race in the 80's), killed the guy.
I was assuming that the street course fence posts could never be as strong as permanent ones, does anyone have any experience with this?

10/9/13, 8:55 PM   #5
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by har59 View Post
for me down tubes next to the cockpit would help but then the ugly factor would b talked about.
More rollbars do NOT help when a car gets into the fence cockpit first. The guy I was referring to was Russell Phillips and it was 1995, not in the 80's... Here is a link for those who want to see...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dallara DW12