IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg Ramblings - Part 3
5/19/08, 2:23 AM   #1
Lawrenceburg Ramblings - Part 3
okokok

Lawrenceburg Ramblings

(This is a bit long – will post in 3 parts to make each one smaller)

Part 3

DEMO DERBY

If the infield is to be landscaped, and the straight-aways are banked, then how can they hold a demo derby during the fair?

FM RADIO BROADCAST

When I first heard of this, I was excited, just what the fans need! Every one has a portable fm radio and headphone. Super….

But, the more I thought about it – I do not like it. Why?? To me, one of the great features about Sprint Car racing is that there are no radios and there are no rear view mirrors. The driver succeeds with no outside help. Amazing skill to drive the car – and with all the noise to hear an unknown racer come up on you and to fight off a pass safely.

Now, each of the drivers will carry an FM radio (assume no need for raceceivers) and hear the track announcer. Now the driver will have a (track announcer / spotter) telling him where he is on the track and who is coming up on him to pass – knowing who is going to pass you ahead of time really changes the complexion of Sprint car racing. Wonder if the sanctioning bodies will approve of this? I believe I read it is the intention to have the drivers with FM radio. I don’t like it. But, I surely like it for me as a fan. BTW what will be the scanner frequencies for safety and track officials?

135 MPH?

This was suggested a few weeks ago. I would say for winged sprints – 118 -123. This is not a half mile – this is not extreme banking. BTW – at what point on the track will the 3/8 mile be measured? Later, could the track be expanded to 4/10 mile by moving the inside of the track out a bit and making the corners at a higher angle? (More speed?).

5/19/08, 10:13 AM   #2
Re: Lawrenceburg Ramblings - Part 3
observing

*****, *****, *****
that takes care of all three of your posts

5/19/08, 12:25 PM   #3
Sandy Lowe

The FM radio broadcast is for the fans.

They will be broadcasting the announcer over a FM frequency so that anyone who was having a problem hearing the PA can hear it.

It is not something a competitor would listen to during the race.

5/19/08, 3:11 PM   #4
Beer Goggles

Why not have a conversation with Dave R., instead of posting here ?

5/19/08, 4:48 PM   #5
ThrottleHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
Why not have a conversation with Dave R., instead of posting here ?
Its easier to do post here in anonymity as opposed to having the jewels to do it in person. If he was serious about it, he would attach his name to his posts.

5/19/08, 5:23 PM   #6
Jerry Shaw

Having seen the track in it's new configuration, in person, I'll jump at the first chance I get to see traditional sprints racing there. Looking for reasons to not like races at a certain track, before I've even seen a single race there, would be pointless and silly. Unless I already had an agenda, before I said such things.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg Ramblings - Part 3