IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big Wreck Turns into Bad Night at Macon for Patrick Bruns
6/1/16, 11:55 PM   #1
Big Wreck Turns into Bad Night at Macon for Patrick Bruns
JessicaJ

Race Count This Year: 12+
Race Count Last Year: 7

Big Wreck Turns into Bad Night at Macon for Patrick Bruns
By Jessica Jenkins

Rolling into Macon Speedway on Memorial Day with a wave of momentum, Patrick Bruns was confident he could take home another win if he could avoid the problems that plagued him one week earlier. In his last appearance at Macon Speedway 5 weeks ago, the Champaign, IL native drove to an easy victory in POWRi/ILLINI’s D2 series. On top of that, Bruns also won on Sunday, May 29 at Spoon River Speedway to prove his #10B MWR Technology could overcome any challenge thrown at them. On back-to-back nights May 20-21 at Lincoln Speedway/Spoon River, contact in the feature with another competitor knocked them out of contention and damaged the car enough to sideline them the second night as well.

But Bruns and his MWR Technology team had put that behind them with the win Sunday by focusing on continuing their forward momentum. True to form the orange-and-white midget took off from the outside pole position in heat 2 and took the lead. He was pulling away from the rest of the field at halfway when all of a sudden Andy Baugh’s yellow #6b came hurtling through turn 3 on the inside and smacked full-speed into the side of Bruns’ midget. Both cars went flipping violently and landed on their sides. It took a couple minutes for Bruns to climb out of the car before it was towed off back to the hauler.

Having not lost a heat race yet this year, it was a big blow to the 4-time Illini Racing champion, but his dedicated team went straight to work assessing the damage. Just looking at the car it appeared they were going to be done for the night, but each of the members on the MWR-owned team worked a miracle and had the car ready to roll back on track when the feature went green.

With the nose visibly screwed all out of place, Bruns started in 12th place and by lap three had was running ahead of three cars. He stayed on track through a couple yellows, but the steering had started locking up on him and he wisely pulled off before the rest of the field made their second attempt to go green on lap four. Ultimately he finished twelfth out of the fourteen cars that showed up.

Understandably frustrated with being knocked out of contention so early in the night due to an incident that is feeling less and less accidental (the same driver is responsible for the Lincoln Speedway wreck), it’s no wonder the analogy of a “school bully” got tossed out there. The whole team handled it the best they possibly could and it was inspiring watch them work so hard to get the car back together.

Bruns’ points lead now sits at 100 over Tyler Vantoll--double that of the last time the MWR Technology team left Macon Speedway. This coming weekend on Saturday, June 4th, the POWRi/ILLINI D2 midget series returns to Sycamore Speedway where Bruns won one month ago. Thankfully he will be fine (although at present understandably sore) and he’ll know by Friday if he is able to race this weekend. Hopefully bygones can be bygones for the other team and any hard feelings will be left behind so we won’t have to worry about Bruns or anyone else getting injured again. Like the champions they are, Bruns and his team are focused and more determined than ever to win.

To keep up with Patrick Bruns, head on over the MWR Technology/Lightning Chassis Facebook page (Facebook.com/mwrtech) and give them a ‘like’ or follow them on Twitter @MWRTechnology.
Attached Images
2016-05-30-Patrick-50percent.jpg (48.4 KB, 155 views)
Last edited by JessicaJ; 6/2/16 at 7:29 PM.

6/2/16, 9:10 AM   #2
School Yard Bully

I have been following this closely the last couple days. Looking at some of the video footage people have been posting, and reading their discussions back and forth. And then did some research on my own to see who all parties involved are, and I have come to this conclusion.
This is a very bad deal Patrick was shaken up in the act of a race. As it is with any driver when we get to do what we love. And I hope he recovers fast and is back soon.
With that being said, I know injuries sustained from crashes can take time to surface, but he wasn't hurt bad enough to go to seek treatment right away, or was he? He ran the remainder of the night, be it to collect as many points as possible or to seek retaliation, no one will ever know.
After watching multiple videos posted of races that the 10B and 6B ran in this season, I saw many things. First hats off to the POWRI video guys whoever they are pretty decent footage. Footage that any unbiased race fan can see has some great detail of where someone did right and someone did wrong and LOTS of THAT WAS GOOD HARD RACING!
After sifting through the MWR FB page and seeing some of the discussion I watched the videos and really looked at the points they (MWR & followers) were trying to make for each side, driver and crew.
And as unfortunate as it may be that Monday's events have injured Mr Bruns, I saw that as a racing move that most definitely could have been countered. I agree with one poster, when he said Patrick did the same thing to another car in another race, but that car checked up and let the "bully" have his spot. In some of the same videos I saw the 6B car of Mr Baugh throwing the same sliders with the 56 of Mitchell Davis and Mitchell checked up and passed him and vice versa. I also saw in the video they brought up the 10B driving right thru a car trying to enter the corner and ending that cars run.

So here is my opinion. I wasn't there, but I have watched way more video than I thought possible in one day, to wake up to this BIASED uneducated post. It looked like it was an exciting night of racing and had an unfortunate turn of events for Mr Bruns. Mitchell Davis drove his tail off in that 7X car and Mr Baugh drove from the back to 2nd.

And lastly during my research of who all parties involved were/are, I found some very unnerving information about Mr Bruns car owner. But just like this Racing situation I am not going to speculate on that or his past as I was not there and there is no evidence that I care to see to try and make an educated unbiased decision!

6/2/16, 11:06 AM   #3
burnettracingltd

Last edited by burnettracingltd; 6/2/16 at 4:26 PM.

6/2/16, 1:41 PM   #4
DaGuy

Looked like a pretty poor slider from 4 or 5 car lengths back it Looked like a pretty desperate move for sure. Don't know either of the parties but saw your comment on that page and sounds like your the one rounding up the uninformed minions.(using your words) maybe you need to keep your mouth shut no one was bashing anyone and it looked like you hijacked that post.

1 member likes this post: School Yard Bully
6/2/16, 4:02 PM   #5
burnettracingltd

That sounds just about right, coming from "Duh"guy!
#donehijacking
#sorrynotsorry
Last edited by burnettracingltd; 6/2/16 at 4:27 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big Wreck Turns into Bad Night at Macon for Patrick Bruns