IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Passing of Ray Chaike
7/27/22, 1:11 PM   #1
Passing of Ray Chaike
Blacki-Suede

Racer, long time USAC official and Story Teller extraordinaire, Ray Chaike passed away last Saturday evening after a short battle with a heart condition. Ray started his racing career in modifieds in South Florida, eventually running with NASCAR on the sands of Dayton Beach among other NASCAR venues. Ray brought his modified north and began a very successful career in the Tri State area. After hanging up his helmet he became the starter at Lawrenceburg Speedway eventually leading to the starters position for the USAC Sprint Car Division. Ray was a long time USAC Official, and was the Assistant Starter at the Indianapolis 500 for many years. In recent years Ray became The Tri State’s greatest story teller. Ray was 88 years old RIP

7/27/22, 4:55 PM   #2
Re: Passing of Ray Chaike
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I don't think I really met Ray and talked to him until about fifteen years ago But our club BARC Throws a Annual Polish Luau that he came up in the early late 60s early -70s when Gus Hoffman suggested that the club have a picnic of some type prior to the races at New Bremen as most of the club would make that trip Ray says, "I got just the thing"
Gets a Gas burner and a thirty gallon Garbage can. Fills it half with water, Polish Keilbasa, corn, potatoes, Cabbage and onion and some salt and steams this till the potato's are fork soft.

It was a huge hit and became a annual tradition and will now be held in memorial. the funny thing of the story is after that first time. Someone say's "Hey Ray, Aren't trash cans galvinized (Zinc coated) "Ray says, Gee, Im glad nobody died" Since then it's been done in large pots. safe for cooking.

I cooked this meal last year for the club and Ray told me it was as good as he could do himself. What a compliment. Thank you Ray for not just memories of you, but memories with others created.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Passing of Ray Chaike