IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > battery size
2/22/14, 11:34 AM   #1
battery size
redneck racing

what is the smallest and lightest battery the you can run on a midget with a ecotech and elec fuel inj

2/22/14, 9:42 PM   #2
Re: battery size
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck racing View Post
what is the smallest and lightest battery the you can run on a midget with a ecotech and elec fuel inj
Red

You probably want to look into a couple of 14+ amp hour lithium ion motorcycle batteries. Probably a little less than 2 pounds each and they hold up real good. Use one for hot laps and heat, then put the fresh one in for the main.

The problem is you are powering a fuel pump, ignition system, and injection system on a total loss electrical system, and when the battery gets below 12 volts those electronics go crazy.

Some smart guy is going to look at the little generators used on John deer lawn tractors and put a timing belt pulley on one of them and drive it off the engine timing belt or maybe off the PS pump. Then you will be able to get by with one battery.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/22/14 at 9:44 PM.

2/22/14, 10:23 PM   #3
PatrickMead#13

If you're running an ecotec, look up mwr's setup as they have an alt option. If you have the room, I'd run one if possible.

2/23/14, 12:54 AM   #4
badcoupe

The antigravity batteries seem decent although you need a charger that is made to charge lithium batteries. We run a AGM battery in the tq's we have to run a ignition and fuel pump with no charging system. When the batteries get low the ignition will start acting up, in the days of the lead acid batteries a rough track would crack a plate and cause all kinds of havoc! I know Literal racing in Fortville stocks the antigravity batteries, they've gotten popular with the tq guys.

2/23/14, 1:14 PM   #5
redneck racing

the only thing im running of this battery is the ecm and inj I have a manual fuel pump that is run off the motor

2/23/14, 2:21 PM   #6
badcoupe

ECM and ignition probably pull 30-35A combined I assume? So a 300 battery should be sufficient maybe top up after heats before feature

2/23/14, 4:10 PM   #7
redneck racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
ECM and ignition probably pull 30-35A combined I assume? So a 300 battery should be sufficient maybe top up after heats before feature
I plan on putting on charger in between heats and main which brand and size of battery yall think is best to go with also thanks for the help and info

2/23/14, 7:12 PM   #8
badcoupe

12+ Ah will be fine something in that range should provide 300-400 cranking amps be able to supply safely supply 14 amps for an hour continously, which will be more than enough. If money is no object and you want super light weight ie:2-3lbs a lithium motorcycle battery will fit the bill just fine. The AGM type batteries are available at most powersports places like a cycle, quad dealer etc. They are cheaper but a little heavier. http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...teries-ag1601/ would be a good lithium choice.

2/23/14, 8:09 PM   #9
TQ29m

I've had good luck with a MotoBatt brand battery, AGM, 18mo replacement warranty, available on Ebay, MBTX16U, same size as the old Honda, but 16ah. Had one go bad, after I left the ign on for 3 days, emailed em, sent in the required paperwork, and a thin plastic lid off the battery, and in less than a week, I had a new one to put in. Just another choice. Bob!

2/23/14, 8:11 PM   #10
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
12+ Ah will be fine something in that range should provide 300-400 cranking amps be able to supply safely supply 14 amps for an hour continously, which will be more than enough. If money is no object and you want super light weight ie:2-3lbs a lithium motorcycle battery will fit the bill just fine. The AGM type batteries are available at most powersports places like a cycle, quad dealer etc. They are cheaper but a little heavier. http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...teries-ag1601/ would be a good lithium choice.
I run the agm style motorcycle battery and it just plug it in to a battery tender when I'm in the pits. It has worked well with injection, electric fan, fuel pump, starter, and lighted tach and cost effective. I think the batt is in the 525-625 range. It's the same size as my odyssey battery as well.

1 member likes this post: Racer_dude35
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > battery size