IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 9th Annual Charlene Meents Memorial - Sept 28th
8/24/13, 10:50 AM   #1
9th Annual Charlene Meents Memorial - Sept 28th
Smeents

9th Annual Charlene Meents Memorial - Saturday, September 28th

Sponsorship opportunities available
Lap Sponsors - $25 a lap to be paid to the leader of each lap in the Midget A-Main.

For more information or to sponsor a lap, please call Stephanie Meents at
618-210-4342 or e-mail me at Meents05@yahoo.com

The 9th Annual Charlene Meents Memorial race will take place on September 28th when the POWRi midgets and micros once again invade the dirt at Belle-Clair Speedway in Belleville, IL. “Little Belleville” was always one of Charlene’s favorite race tracks, so it is only fitting that the race to honor Charlene’s life and dedication to midget racing return again to the track where she enjoyed working so many races during her racing career.

Charlene was a longtime officer and race official for the MARA midgets. During the 27 years that Charlene was active in MARA, she served in all capacities, including President for many years. During this time, she was instrumental in some key note races that took place in the 1980s and 90s. In addition to great local races at tracks like Little Belleville, Macon, and Pevely just to name a few, she was also a big factor in MARA’s involvement in races such as the Belleville Nationals, the Wolverine Nationals, and the first running of what is now the Chili Bowl Nationals.

Charlene dedicated her entire life to the sport of midget racing. When she wasn’t negotiating race contracts, she was calling members to gain support for upcoming races or calling to check on the well-being of any member that may have been sick or injured from racing. She knew no strangers when it came race time and welcomed everyone to the sport with open arms. Although she was only one person, she often did the jobs of three or four people before the races, all while battling severe health issues. Her disability never stopped her devotion to the one thing she loved more than anything in life - in fact this one love kept her fighting everyday just so she could listen to every race, every weekend.

Prior winners:
2005 - Matt Sandy
2006 - Mike Hess
2007 - Brad Loyet
2008 - Brett Anderson
2009 - Brad Loyet
2010 - Brad Loyet
2011 - Brett Anderson
2012 - Austin Brown

8/26/13, 6:26 AM   #2
Re: 9th Annual Charlene Meents Memorial - Sept 28th
Andrew S. Quinn

Wouldnt miss it! The last midget race of the year at my favorite midget track,Little Belleville.

Will try to scrape up some lap money too.

3 members like this post: billwill7, cbell#1fan, luckybuc97
8/26/13, 9:08 AM   #3
Andrew S. Quinn

After thinking about it at work this morning, who wants to go in together on a lap in memory of Morty?

I'll start out with $25 for a lap to be determined. Maybe even more than $25. Ill check with my wallet.

How many laps is it this year?

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 8/26/13 at 9:10 AM.

8/26/13, 11:31 AM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I attend every POWRi event at Belle-Clair, but I may miss this one as TSS is running that night and it is only 25 miles versus 166 to Belleville. Hope to attend all three nights of the Gold Crown at Tri-City, my favorite event of the year.

8/27/13, 11:17 AM   #5
Andrew S. Quinn

So far I have 4 other people besides myself going in on a lap for Morty. That's $125.00
so far. Who else wants to go in on a lap?

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: billwill7, Smeents
8/28/13, 7:21 PM   #6
msan16

What a great lady! no better way to honor her than to have her own race. Such a pleasure at the track and 100% all about midget racing. I miss her alot.

2 members like this post: DaveP63, Smeents
8/29/13, 6:50 PM   #7
DaveP63

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan16 View Post
What a great lady! no better way to honor her than to have her own race. Such a pleasure at the track and 100% all about midget racing. I miss her alot.
I can hear her now "It's the Indiana boys!"

2 members like this post: msan16, Smeents
8/31/13, 2:17 PM   #8
msan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
I can hear her now "It's the Indiana boys!"
We figured she was only so nice to us because she thought anyone crazy enough to tow from NCentral Indiana to St. Louis on a sunday night must love midget racing as much as she did!

3 members like this post: DaveP63, Red Hat, Smeents
8/31/13, 4:21 PM   #9
wrtracing

Myself & 2 other buddies are in for $25 each. So that should bring the new total to $200. Let me know the details & perhaps we could meet before the race. You can pm me with other info if you like

8/31/13, 8:27 PM   #10
DaveP63

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan16 View Post
We figured she was only so nice to us because she thought anyone crazy enough to tow from NCentral Indiana to St. Louis on a sunday night must love midget racing as much as she did!
Ain't that the truth! God, I miss those days. I don't think I've ever had more fun racing. Before or since.

1 member likes this post: msan16
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 9th Annual Charlene Meents Memorial - Sept 28th