IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini-Sprint GSXR1000 Issue
7/25/12, 3:39 PM   #1
Mini-Sprint GSXR1000 Issue
Phylo82

I realize this is a tech question but not that many people frequent that board and I need some answers quick.

We have an 05-06 GSXR1000 that was running great until a few races ago. Now it bogs down coming out of the turns. You can hear it sputtering down the straight-aways. It just doesn't seem to have any power.

It gets worse as the race night goes on. We have had a couple of evenings where it ran well in hot laps, started to fade in the heat race and was real bad in the feature.

We had the motor checked out and it's fine. I've been told everything from checking the battery to the possibility that the fuel pump might be over-heating or the fuel filters could be dirty.

Our battery tested fine and we cleaned out the filters. I am going to swap out the fuel pump.

Anyone run into something like this before?
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

7/25/12, 3:57 PM   #2
Re: Mini-Sprint GSXR1000 Issue
Jim Gardner

I'd double check with Mike but the 67 had some power problems at Bloomington and sorted it out by adjusting the fuel pressure regulator.

7/25/12, 4:15 PM   #3
cws9

I'd say fuel pump also. If going bad, once they get hot they quit pumping. Did your temperatures go up also? With the motor leaning out I'd think the temps would start creeping up too.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/25/12, 5:14 PM   #4
Phylo82

Thanks for the advice guys......we'll see how things go this weekend.
#13e Maxim Sprint

7/25/12, 5:43 PM   #5
racer22r

you may have an injector or injectors that are dirty, it probably wouldnt hurt to pull them out and power them up with a 9v batery and blow backwards through them.

1 member likes this post: DAD
7/25/12, 6:10 PM   #6
chop

Do you use-still have the factory charging system? Do you charge the battery between hot laps-heat race-main event? Could be what the others have said, but also could be a getting low on volts in the battery. Bad ground to pump or to the engine also. When I have had dirty injectors, it will run bad all the time, not be hit and miss. Also when it is a bad fuel pump, they seem to work well or not work at all. The regulator could be the problem. Do you have a return line to the tank? Are the filters in back wards- some do matter what way they flow. It could be some type of heat--over heating of the computer also. Just my thinking.

7/25/12, 11:59 PM   #7
Phylo82

Thanks for all the advice, I think we found the problem this evening......corroded injector screens.
#13e Maxim Sprint

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini-Sprint GSXR1000 Issue