IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy cars
11/4/10, 7:27 AM   #1
Indy cars
speed bump

I would love to see the Indy Cars go back to Michigan Int. Speedway.
Give up one of thase stupid Road Races that no one want`s to see ,and Go to a real race track ............

11/4/10, 9:53 AM   #2
Re: Indy cars
mikew

To each their own.... I love the dirt track. I love the paved ovals. I love the road courses. And recently, I have been gaining some fondness for some of the newer street courses like St Pete and Brazil. Long Beach has its tradition, but the track layout lacks much.

As for me, I want to see diversity in the IndyCar schedule. I plan on going to Barber and Baltimore this year, in addition to Indy and Kentucky....

11/4/10, 8:12 PM   #3
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew View Post
To each their own.... I love the dirt track. I love the paved ovals. I love the road courses. And recently, I have been gaining some fondness for some of the newer street courses like St Pete and Brazil. Long Beach has its tradition, but the track layout lacks much.

As for me, I want to see diversity in the IndyCar schedule. I plan on going to Barber and Baltimore this year, in addition to Indy and Kentucky....
You want diversity? Bring back the Dirt Miles. Syracuse, Indy Fairgounds, Springfield & DuQuoin should be on the schedule. Let's see what them furriners can do in a Silver Crown Car!

11/4/10, 11:31 PM   #4
BuckeyeBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed bump View Post
Give up one of thase stupid Road Races that no one want`s to see ,and Go to a real race track ............
Your ignorance amazes me...no one wants to see them yet the road race attendance beats that of the ovals, barring Indy (the God Father), Iowa (they have nothing else to do), and Texas (huge population base to draw from, and Nascar @ Dega "excitement").

Indycar wont be a truly successful endeavor in America until they once again embrace true speed, cutting edge technology, and danger (which goes hand and hand with the aforementioned).

11/4/10, 11:35 PM   #5
racephoto1

Ask Greg Moore about speed and danger. Me I want close racing like Texas. You don't have to go 240 to put on a good show. Heck Indy usually isn't that good,but it has tradition.

11/5/10, 5:13 AM   #6
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemidgetfan View Post
Try telling that to ISC who dropped the race because nobody gave a damn
It's been awhile but I thought MIS was muscled out because of Belle Isle and the close proximity of the two.
BTW, I agree with the Montoya comment, I can see him kicking butt in a Silver Crown car, especially 15 or so years ago.
David.

11/5/10, 8:40 AM   #7

Give me a dirt track that will hold up. I try to catch the Arca dirt races every year. They always turn out just like the paved ovals, 1 lane. I DON'T WANT LONG DIRT RACES! They are extremely boring. I have been to the Hulman hundred 5 different times, out of those 5 times, I have yet to see a race worth going back to. Herd this years was decent, but gonna be a while before I attempt that show again. When it comes to a distance race, dirt is what goes under the track!

11/5/10, 9:08 AM   #8
mikew

MIS was "muscled" out by a lack of fans in the stands. While attendance has been dropping at edmonton, they still had one of the largest crowds on the schedule. Say what you will about road and street course racing, but there is a large fanbase for the twisty tracks and the IndyCar series is wise to exploit it. Brazil, St. Pete, Barber, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Toronto, Edmonton, and Sears Point were all very well attended this year, which is far more than I can say for half of the ovals.

I'll do you one better on the diversity of the schedule though, back in the day the schedule included paved ovals, dirt ovals, road courses and the pikes peak hill climb. While I would love to see it, I have no illusion that IndyCars will ever race on dirt again, and I am fine with that. There is no way they could strip down one of those cars and put on a better show than I can see weekly at Kokomo or Lawrenceburg. And with the emphasis on safety today, there is no way that any of the dirt miles could ever hope to improve their tracks enough to host anything other than ARCA.....

11/5/10, 10:02 AM   #9
BuckeyeBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
Ask Greg Moore about speed and danger. Me I want close racing like Texas. You don't have to go 240 to put on a good show. Heck Indy usually isn't that good,but it has tradition.
You may not have to go 240 to put on a "good show", but you will have to if you expect fans to show up as they once did, or if you ever want to consider Indy a global icon again.

Moore was a phenom, yes, but that is a price paid by many drivers before him, and a few since. Racing is inherently dangerous, those who love being behind the wheel either accept this fact or blindly ignore it.

I am by no means saying we need to stop advancing our safety measures, keep them coming I say, but let's try pushing the envelope again. Hard work, innovation, and speed made Indy great; we first witnessed 220 long ago...I blame insurance companies and our ridiculously PC American culture.

Go watch Nascar on a restrictor plate track if you want to see 100% throttle pack "racing"...It's nothing more than high speed chess, and if you need to see a wreck that bad go to a demo derby.

Often times in racing one team nails the set-up and pulls away, that's a fact of life.

If Indycar really wants to get serious they need to up the HP back to around 800, remove all forms of TC, and allow aero innovation to take place.

Road Courses are lacking with the current car b/c of a gross lack of power; passing on a road course is an art form, where accelerating earlier and braking later are the most affective means to performing an overtaking maneuver...that is if you have enough power to break the damn wheels loose.

I'm done ranting, just a passionate Indycar fan who used to invision himself racing in the most diverse championship in the world (CART circa 96-99).
Last edited by BuckeyeBullet; 11/5/10 at 10:04 AM.

2 members like this post: 767, reserved1
11/5/10, 10:13 AM   #10
illinisprintfan

I have always liked road racing, but things need to change. The problem with the temporary street courses and road courses in general is the lack of passing. No one wants to watch a parade on the track regardless of how fast they are going. If the majority of passing is accomplished due to pit stops, what's the point. Myself and many others like to watch cars actually pass each other on the track. Make the street courses wider with more areas to pass and they will be more popular. Many road/street courses have only one or two viable passing areas as currently configured. Changing tyre (see, I can speak European!) compounds so that marbles are reduced off of the racing line would help increase passing.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy cars