IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What the hell is going on ???
11/24/09, 4:04 PM   #1
What the hell is going on ???
D.O.

What is up with Billy Boat selling everything?? Kevin Thomas called the other night a told me he had talked with a bunch of teams that wouldn't be racing next year? Is this the first drop in the Bucket???
Hopefully Chad Boat has something big coming his way? Maybe an Indy Lights? or something like that?

Next weeks show Jon Stanbrough will be a guest.

I have edited last nights show so you can hear what Bruce Ashmore and John Gurley had to say. Enjoy.

D.O.

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, Lucky161
11/24/09, 4:18 PM   #2
Re: What the hell is going on ???
Mark Sr

yes I think it is.. I know for me I could not see paying out money to race when there was bill's that needed paid.. I think there is going to be more and more getting out or putting racing on hold for a time.. money is hard to come by, and it's not getting better. it's a shame.

11/24/09, 4:27 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sr View Post
yes I think it is.. I know for me I could not see paying out money to race when there was bill's that needed paid.. I think there is going to be more and more getting out or putting racing on hold for a time.. money is hard to come by, and it's not getting better. it's a shame.
I call it the second drop in the bucket as last year many of the small teams either raced only local or parked em.

I see Broc Burton has his stuff up for sale .

Whats worse is the Money races this year that didn't draw big fields. The top teams were there and everyone else ran the other way. Also many of the Top Teams lost their sponsors.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 11/24/09 at 5:19 PM.

11/24/09, 5:37 PM   #4
TQ29m

JMO, but I feel like last year, folks had just a little money left to race on, but nothing has changed, to make it better, energy costs are still on the rise, more folks outa work, sponsors needing their advertising budget to make ends meet, I don't look for this to be an "unusual" occurence, it really isn't "rocket science", it's reality, and when it sits in, it's real. When you see the big teams pull in their horns, it's a business decision, not for lack of interest. Hope I'm wrong! Bob

11/24/09, 5:47 PM   #5
tim mann

I think it is a shame. I was trying to find some old friends in the umra club that I have not seen in over 18 years, only to find that most of them I guess are not racing any more. Umra's drivers and owners list looks more like a ghost town. Alot of buiseness's here in Madison are closed or down to nothing as far as a work-force.

It is a shame.

11/24/09, 6:40 PM   #6
tqracer65

There are still quite a few that are racing with MTQRL the new tq series that were probably running with umra 18 years ago. You might check out their website mtqrl.com

11/24/09, 7:12 PM   #7
Tq14

when tsr parked there midgets due to finances, we knew the future of the series was going to take a turn downhill. he does truly care what happens in the usac midget series, but companies have no sponsorship budgets anymore. my only thought is when the economy turns around the car counts will begin to grow again, but will the big sponsors be back for the midgets. there are very few fans that go to midget races anymore, so what really do sponsors get from it? i just hope that things get better for the midget series.

11/24/09, 7:34 PM   #8
dirtywhiteboy

I highly doubt that even after this economic recovery is done that car counts will come back. People are finding many other ways to have fun and not blow the money they make.

It's the sad fact that costs got so high and pushed people out. This recession has cast a clear light on the issues that have been plaguingracing for over a decade now. Everyone wants th latest and greatest and are finally seeing that the return for such stuff isn't there.

We have a stark realization here poeple. Racing is never going to be what it was even 3 years ago. This recession has changed the way people live and the value they put on thier income. I hate to see USAC falling on hard times, I am just surprised it has taken this long into the recession for the snowball of teams selling out to pick up this much speed.

This brings up a very valid question: What does this mean for the Chili Bowl in 2010?

11/24/09, 7:51 PM   #9
VaDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post

This brings up a very valid question: What does this mean for the Chili Bowl in 2010?
Wondering the same thing. Guess we'll start finding out soon. The initial list was released last year on the 5th of December. They added the 5th day last year (Tuesday) because of so many cars. Wonder if that will change now...

11/24/09, 7:52 PM   #10
DonMoore10

hahahahaha Most of the midget teams would kill their own mother and run up the worst credit card debt in history to race at the Rental Bowl.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What the hell is going on ???