IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprintcar Drivers safety and getting hurt???
10/12/08, 8:57 PM   #1
Sprintcar Drivers safety and getting hurt???
turn4fan

It seems like this year has been a terrible year for sprintcar driver's getting hurt. As was said earlier by another member, it is very sad seeing these young driver's getting hurt. In just Indiana alone this summer, there are at least four serious accidents that come to mind Biro, Boespflug, Speidel, and McIntosh. Not to mention others around the world. Racing is very dangerous and there have always been accidents but seems like there is starting to be more and more. Is this due to the speed the cars are going these days, the tracks, the safety equipment, or just a combination of everything?

10/12/08, 9:31 PM   #2
Re: Sprintcar Drivers safety and getting hurt???
Mach2

I think it's speed. Take Perris, USAC/CRA, for example. The top cars are runnin 850+ hp motors and gettin it to the track. You can see it well when they come out of turn 2, the cars get up on the rear tires and haul the mail down to 3......I mean really haul the mail. The combo of the motors, tires, chassis that transfer weight very well, and drivers that, like all before them, just can't seem to go fast enough. They're wanting to go faster. The safety equipment is wonderful, helmets, helmet restraints, great seats. Again, I think it's the speed they're goin now. Just my two cents.

10/12/08, 10:33 PM   #3
racephoto1

Tube frames, fat tires, high horsepower, and light weight. This is a combination for injury. All the safety protection in the world can only help so much. These cars , which really haven't changed much since 1950, weren't designed for what they are doing in 2008.

Mechanical failure aside, the other part of the combination is the age of most of the young drivers today. Yes they're fast and spectacular to watch, but they are not as prone to thinking about what is going on as Darland , Coons Jr, and guys of that age bracket are.This definately adds to part of the equation.

Last but not least , weather we like it or not, this is a dangerous game, and sometimes the price to play is rather steep. Thankfully, do to the safety improvements over the last few years, paying the ultimate price is a lot less frequent then it was 20 years ago.

10/13/08, 4:32 AM   #4
lazyifoto

I have said for awhile now that todays sprint cars need to be re-designed in the cage area. The rest of the car can stay as is but now the cages need to be wider and taller and a better seat needs to be in place. I would suggest also developing some sort of energy absorbing material to stop the car from picking up speed when flipping or rolling.

10/13/08, 8:31 AM   #5
4wheelsinthekoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyifoto View Post
I have said for awhile now that todays sprint cars need to be re-designed in the cage area. The rest of the car can stay as is but now the cages need to be wider and taller and a better seat needs to be in place. I would suggest also developing some sort of energy absorbing material to stop the car from picking up speed when flipping or rolling.
Wider and taller cages are still not going to help when you hit a concrete wall at a buck 20 cage first. And then it would real easy to get a tire in to the cockpit.

10/13/08, 9:02 AM   #6
Sprinter56

I think you're talking about wings as those things that absorb impact, someone already thought of that.

10/13/08, 9:21 AM   #7
cecil98

I don't think sprint cars should be redesigned from what they are now. If they scare you, stay away from them. My suggestion is miminmum 17 years of age and a valid drivers license. Also, at the pit sign in, have a cut out of Barney Rubble or Fred Flintstone that is about 4'-10" tall and have a sign on it that says. "you must be this tall to ride this ride".

10/13/08, 9:32 AM   #8
robert gatten

There has always been the tragic results of racing and there will continue to be no matter what is done. That being said, i feel the main problem today is the lighter "throw away" chassis being built by manufactures. There is a big difference in tubing of 120 gauge verses the .095 gauge now used by the top builders in the US. Just a couple years ago a chassis from outside the US was highly talked down, as unsafe, because of the poor material and light weight. But then it seems the lighter weight took over and has progressed to the problem we seem to have today. I don't have my USAC rule book and can't look up the required gauge rule they have but i would bet that many chassis are below that requirment. Don't have any idea how this could be controlled , short of cuting a cage, and that can't be done, but clearly this needs to be looked into more often. I think a manufacture has a responsibility to build and sign off that ,at least the cage, is built with 120 gauge material for safety FIRST.

10/13/08, 9:38 AM   #9
LEADERS EDGE

In the 50's-70's era, there where many drivers hurt and killed, even though there where much fewer drivers racing and the speeds where slower.

Today; drivers are hurt, but few are killed. I would also believe that far fewer drivers are hurt although there are many many more drivers competing today.

That said, it is tough when drivers are hurt. At the end of the day, this is still a very dangerous game and will always be no matter what safety improvements are made.

The injuries and casualties of the past have lead to the developments today that keep drivers safer and we will learn from today to make tommorrow better.

10/13/08, 9:45 AM   #10
Pat O'Connor Fan

I believe Scott's post right above this has "hit the nail right on the head".

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprintcar Drivers safety and getting hurt???