IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why does everyone hate Putnamville?
8/11/08, 10:57 PM   #1
Why does everyone hate Putnamville?
Sprint39

This is my first year running sprints and I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've ran at Paragon and Putnamville. I'm not the greatest in the world but I seem to be more competitive at Putnamville than Paragon. I think the cars at P'ville are faster than Paragon. I like them both!!

8/11/08, 11:04 PM   #2
Re: Why does everyone hate Putnamville?
Racin4Fun

Track Prep and management were the two biggest issues last year... This year they seem to be doing better....stick around for a while...you will figure it out!!

8/11/08, 11:14 PM   #3
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint39 View Post
This is my first year running sprints and I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've ran at Paragon and Putnamville. I'm not the greatest in the world but I seem to be more competitive at Putnamville than Paragon. I think the cars at P'ville are faster than Paragon. I like them both!!
I don't think they "hate" Putnamville. It's just that the owner has alienated many on this board (plus many other fans) and the track has had some issues over the years. A couple of years ago the track was so bad many teams would not run there because they were tearing up too much equipment. I believe the track itself to be much better now and most have come back. Same owner though and the personal feelings will exist as long as he owns the track. Thats racin'. I say "go for it". :thumb

8/11/08, 11:42 PM   #4
righton

they let anyone race there, under age drivers (12 yrs olds) with no experience, favoritism, management-money gets you in no matter what the issue is.

8/11/08, 11:44 PM   #5
cecil98

one word: promotor

8/11/08, 11:50 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I certainly don't hate Putnamville, IMHO that track can put on the best racing in the state.

I certainly disslike and have not been back since the way things were run, Prepped and the time I got out of there the last time I was there for what was basically a Sprint only show that got started 3 hours late 10pm on a track that had dips in it big enough to play evel knievel on. Followed by several more blunders and fiascos by said owner/promotor Im still on the fence as to ever attending a event or show held by him.

Again, I certainly don't have anything against the racers.
Chuck

8/12/08, 12:52 AM   #7
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Please correct me if I am wrong... but the schedule on their website says that the Putnamville Clash was on August 2... I was "told" that after Dickie won the event on 8/2, he was told by DA that the car count was not high enough and that the Putnamville Clash would be next week(8-8). I wonder if Billy got the Putnamville Clash payout for winning August 8th?

If what I've been told is true... that's why folks don't like Putnamville.

8/12/08, 1:08 AM   #8
Sprinter56

Bill, you are partially right on your statement. I am the crew chief on dickie's car and the purse was cut slightly from what was advertised but nothing like last year. Last year dickie won it and they said the count was too low and paid a regular purse, so dickie went back again and won it and finally got paid but they gave him the trophy the first time. This year they just paid 2,000 instead of 2,500 although there were 37 cars which seemed more than plenty for a special event to me and everyone else there. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get as talking to DA is about like talking to a brick wall too bad we love racing there and the track has been very good this year a little more effort and support for the racers and it could be a premier facility in Indiana. Oh well it's half hour away and a hell of a lot better than paragon.

8/12/08, 4:45 AM   #9
Mark Sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint39 View Post
we stopped running there after 3 race's. the last race it took forever for the crew, (My girlfriend, young son, me, and the driver,) to get the mud off, so much that we didn't have time to change anything for the heat. as we watched other driver's (one's who run there weekly) set till the track was run in. And when something was said we was bitched at and told if we didn't go out in the mud pie they called a track that night we could go home... I love the track.. but never have the mud at other track's like there.. (I know it's a dirt track going to get muddie.) but come on!!!! I'm still getting the mud off from that day. and you should try running Gas City... now that's a great place.. going to be there Friday...

8/12/08, 6:17 AM   #10
kingmod5

I personally went back to Putnamville for the first time in several years for the Clash. I enjoyed the racing unfortunately I had to look throuth weeds on the frontstretch to see the cars. What a difference a weedeater would make for this track. It could be so nice and DA could make alot more money if he put a little more effort into it and tried to clean the place up a little. I would even help him with some labor! I would even bring my own weedeater and gas!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why does everyone hate Putnamville?