IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT:Illinois Work Zones
5/21/08, 11:45 AM   #1
OT:Illinois Work Zones
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

Word of warning to anyone traveling through IL.
ILLINOIS DRIVING INFORMATION for WORK ZONES

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones starting July 2008.
The State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as 'Work Zones' on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense, but the SECOND offense will cost $1,000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension.

Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their rates.

This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city or state using PHOTO enforcement's. The State will begin with TWO camera vans issuing tickets in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH.

Photographs of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

Pass this on to everyone you know.

For more info:
http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

5/21/08, 12:33 PM   #2
Re: OT:Illinois Work Zones
AlkyMadness

Good reason to stay out of Illinois. They should be able to make a couple million dollars in the first few days.

I'm all for driving a reasonable reduced speed in work zones, but most of the time, the majority of traffic will not allow you to go 45. Usually, you're lucky if you can get slowed down to 55 and not get crushed.

So, you've got a choice, get run over by an 18 wheeler, or risk the $375 fine.

Perhaps a better approach would be to only target the flagrant/aggressive drivers with these stiff fines AND let it be known that every 5-10 minutes a driver who is actually driving 45 will be sent a $375 gas voucher. I'll bet that incentive would get a lot of people to slow down. Be like playing the lottery. Driving for dollars.

The Big Brother photo camera shouldn't be used only to punish.

5/21/08, 12:46 PM   #3
petey

Ever since I've been driving in Illinois they have always been aggressive when trying to catch speeders. If your on I-57 around Cairo you better heed to the speed limit because there is almost always a trooper(s) set up along the interstate. I have to say though that once you get to around 30 to 40 miles north of there the traffic picks up speed and your pretty safe to go 5 mph over the limit. Never been pulled over in Ill. and don't want to be.

I first heard of these cameras being used there two years ago so I'm in the know.

5/21/08, 12:52 PM   #4
Z-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkyMadness View Post

Perhaps a better approach would be to only target the flagrant/aggressive drivers with these stiff fines AND let it be known that every 5-10 minutes a driver who is actually driving 45 will be sent a $375 gas voucher. I'll bet that incentive would get a lot of people to slow down. Be like playing the lottery. Driving for dollars.

The Big Brother photo camera shouldn't be used only to punish.
WOW caught being good incentives, great idea.

5/21/08, 1:18 PM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

My nephew is an Illinois State Trooper and they do enforce the speed limit much more so than Indiana. However, with that being said, I have noticed many more troopers pulling over speeders here in Indiana lately. I have been especially impressed with the number of ISP motorcycle cops working the interstates.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5/22/08, 12:22 AM   #6
Sprint63122

Well since they can not catch criminals anymore the only thing they can try to do is write tickets now lets see which one do they make more money on.Now with the start of the camera's to take you photo for a ticket mailed to you I guess they are even having trouble writing tickets to oh well now they can all sleep in the center medians.My last question is does this go for them to since they are all allowed to drive over 80mph just going down the highway without sirens on.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT:Illinois Work Zones