IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Be Careful when driving through Illinois
6/26/09, 6:23 AM   #1
Be Careful when driving through Illinois
Theokayman

My father-in-law (who lives in Illinois) emailed this to me. I don't know that I want to take the chance of this not being real. Just wanted to give anyone driving through IL a heads-up in case it's true.

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July.
One mile per hour over the speed limit and the machine will get you a nice $375.00 ticket in the mail. Beginning July 1st, the State of Illinois will begin using the speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense. The SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allow insurance companies to raise Insurance rates. This is the harshest penalty structure ever set for a governmental unit involving PHOTO speed enforcement. The State already has two camera vans on line issuing tickets 24/7 in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photos of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken. Pass this on to everyone you know who might be affected!!!

Jake.

6/26/09, 7:14 AM   #2
Racerrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokayman View Post
My father-in-law (who lives in Illinois) emailed this to me. I don't know that I want to take the chance of this not being real. Just wanted to give anyone driving through IL a heads-up in case it's true.

One mile per hour over the speed limit and the machine will get you a nice $375.00 ticket in the mail. Beginning July 1st, the State of Illinois will begin using the speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense. The SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allow insurance companies to raise Insurance rates. This is the harshest penalty structure ever set for a governmental unit involving PHOTO speed enforcement. The State already has two camera vans on line issuing tickets 24/7 in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photos of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken. Pass this on to everyone you know who might be affected!!!

Jake.
Thanks Jake! After making my 380 donation to the City of Phoenix's photo radar this year I will let someone else drive the rig through Illinois!

Rob
Posted via Mobile Device

6/26/09, 7:16 AM   #3
Re: Be Careful when driving through Illinois
Dyno Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokayman View Post

Jake.
http://www.snopes.com/********/traffic/illinois.asp

6/26/09, 9:56 AM   #4
Gifford G Solem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerrob View Post
Thanks Jake! After making my 380 donation to the City of Phoenix's photo radar this year I will let someone else drive the rig through Illinois!

Rob
Posted via Mobile Device
My son, Scott, and I also were caught on Candid Camera by Phoenix's finest during February's Copper Classic on Dirt. (In addition to the fine, had to pay an additional "finders fee" of $40 for some outfit to trace us - we were driving in a rental.) Big Brother is all over us - via the nations traffic cops- like a cheap suit.

6/26/09, 10:51 AM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I e-mailed my nephew who is a State Trooper in Illinois. His response is that they have been using the "camera van" for a while now. He said that it automatically takes a picture of the vehicle complete with plate number and a picture of the driver. He said that the quaility is so good, it would be hard to fight it in a court of law. They can tell if you shaved this morning or not. He said that they are currently in the process of raising the fines but as far as the exact amount he hasn't seen anything on paper. His last comment was "SLOW DOWN".

A little tidbit about him as well. Don't work too hard to try to talk yourself out of a ticket. If he turns the red & blues on, you bought yourself a ticket. He isn't going to be chasing you down and then letting you go. Just remember, the State of Illinois is hurting for money more so than some other states. Buckle up and slow down is the best advice he could give. Also, with him don't mention my name thinking that will help. That could buy you jail time.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/26/09, 11:29 AM   #6
john3g

It's called tax revenue boys just like operation click it or ticket. Has NOTHING to do with safty just another way to get money from the tax payer. One way or another they'll get it.

6/26/09, 11:44 AM   #7
aceace

If your not capable of paying attention to your speed you can buy a clear spray off ebay that distorts your plate and makes it unreadable to any camera. I was told it works.

http://www.phantomplate.com/faq2.htm
Last edited by aceace; 6/26/09 at 11:48 AM.

6/26/09, 11:47 AM   #8
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
It's called tax revenue boys just like operation click it or ticket. Has NOTHING to do with safty just another way to get money from the tax payer. One way or another they'll get it.
Really ?!?! Enforcing a law that requires folks to slow down in a work zone, where there's pedestrians, slow-moving construction vehicles, construction debris, etc. has NOTHING to do with saf(e)ty?!?!

Tim Simmons

6/26/09, 12:34 PM   #9
jdadalt

The fines do seem outrageous, but from someone who has been in work zones for over 20 years, anything to slow people down in a work area is fine with me.

6/26/09, 1:48 PM   #10
aceace

1 mph over and getting 300+ fine is about tax money. If it started at 5mph over I would agree it's about safety. Speedometers can be off by 1mph and most probably are. I nearly got a ticket one time for not slowing down quick enough. I drive the speed limit almost always, 99% of the time. Sometimes going down a hill it's easy to exceed it. If I got a ticket for 46 in a 45 I would go ballistic.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Be Careful when driving through Illinois