IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Figure 8 Championship
9/4/12, 8:38 PM   #1
World Figure 8 Championship
jenthro

Hey y'all, If you're looking for something to do this weekend the World Figure 8 Championships are being held at the Speedrome on the east side of Indy. Last year was my first, and simply put it was insane.

I realize it's probably not what most people on these boards consider to be good racing, but I figured I'd share in case some may find it interesting that live nearby and can't make it to Eldora.

http://www.speedrome.com/

9/4/12, 8:49 PM   #2
Re: World Figure 8 Championship
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Hands down the best race at the speedrome. I usually go if I am home and not at work. 3 hours of non-stop excitement

9/4/12, 8:51 PM   #3
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

went to this about 10 years back the more expensive the cars are getting the less cars they get it was ok racing but pretty boring i think im sticking to my weekend plans
A big weekend is heading our way on the 8th!

The King of Non-Wing Sprints!

The 9th Annual Patriot 100!

Super Stocks and Bombers!

and

The End of Summer Fireworks Extravaganza!

A great night of dirt track action and an awesome fireworks show!

General Admission $18.00
Pit Passes $30.00
Kids 10 and Under Always Free at LPS!

1 member likes this post: Avon Open Wheel fan
9/4/12, 9:39 PM   #4
Avon Open Wheel fan

I agree the 80s this was the race to be at they always had well over 100 cars and the famous Kenny St John and Wayne Arnold battles. Drove by the Speedrome a couple weeks ago for the first time in years. It almost looked like it was shut down a few years ago. Very upsetting to see this place fall apart so bad. Used to go all the time to watch the Thursday night Thunder races and the Midget 500 race they had each year.

9/4/12, 10:05 PM   #5
ThePurple73

I remember seeing a school bus figure 8 race at the Speedrome. One bus was hit and rolled.

I liked the midgets at the speedrome do they still race midgets there?

9/4/12, 11:12 PM   #6
monkeyboy

Drive by again. They just added a brand new video board. New seats in some places and a go kart track are supposed to be going in sometime soon. The irvington speed plant isn't doing too terrible.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: speed bump
9/5/12, 4:52 PM   #7
ossuks

Anyone that hasn't attended this event has no idea what they are missing. The atmosphere at this event is second to none! To the people in this racing community "THE THREE HOUR" is the reason they race. This event pays $20,000 to win. Before you take shots at this form of racing keep in mind the competitors can actually come out in the black. I have 4 seats to this event and can think of no other race during the season that I would trade tickets for (excluding Indy). Come out Saturday, you will have a good time!!

Back in the day used to rush over from The Hoosier 100 (which had 60+ cars racing for as much to win as the purse is today) and take in this event.

9/5/12, 6:10 PM   #8
Andrew S. Quinn

Its a pretty wild night with something going on for action every minute of the race.

We had Figure 8 at my home track when I was growing up,and the longest race was 20 laps,just once a year. 15 laps every other week of the season. I just read about this race back then,and also back in the day the figure 8 race they had at Islip, New York.

After the first 3 hour race I went to,I called all my buddys back in Maine and told them they have to come check this out! Its unlike anything we ever had there. I cant imagine driving in this race,going thru the intersection every 10 seconds or so with 31 other cars of different speeds and daring,attempting to do the same thing,for 3 hours.

I moved here to watch sprint cars and midgets,but I can take one or two nights off a year from them to go watch this!
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 9/5/12 at 6:12 PM.

9/5/12, 6:36 PM   #9
Avon Open Wheel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
Drive by again. They just added a brand new video board. New seats in some places and a go kart track are supposed to be going in sometime soon. The irvington speed plant isn't doing too terrible.

Posted via Mobile Device
It was a few weeks ago that I drove by. I was going to head over to the one hour race last Sunday since everything else was rained out. The one hour race used to be a great show.

9/6/12, 9:41 AM   #10
ChadSmith

So is this on Saturday? That video was wicked! I definitely want to check this out. Thanks!

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World Figure 8 Championship