IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > amsa rules
9/25/09, 6:38 PM   #31
Re: amsa rules
TNR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The girl that TRN22 is talking about was running on asphalt in a modified midget. It was not an upright mini sprint running on dirt.
The plastic tank, under the fiberglass tail cover is very safe, IN MY OPINION.
I have no trouble with my grandson driving a gasoline or alcohol car that does not have a bladder in the tank.
If you decide to get a bladder tank, remember that you can NOT use the same bladder for gas and alcohol.
I don't want to get into a pissing match over saftey, every one has their opinion. But the track was dirt.

http://www.rowdy.com/content/profile/asset_detail/19293
http://www.i44speedway.com/

9/25/09, 6:55 PM   #32
Phylo82

Wow....that is horrible.

Not to change the subject, but this is a good example of why drivers should practice getting out of the car quickly in an emergency situation.

The steering wheel should have a quick release that works. The driver should know where the belt releases are and how to unlatch them in a hurry.

I saw this first hand at a QM race at Mini-Indy. A fuel line broke and the car caught on fire. After that I made TJ practice getting out of the car fast. I have also kept a fire extinquisher in my trailer......bad things can happen off the track also.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

9/25/09, 7:04 PM   #33
dctd05

I dont understand how a tire rule is going to cost money if you go to a hard tire you will need 2 tires to race all season. The only reason you need 2 is in case you cut a tire during the race night. If you want to race with the other organization you have have 1 tire that is softer to race with them, but you have to buy a new tire with that organization every other race to be competitive. Now which organization are you going to spend the most money with to buy tires. The 1 with a hard spec tire that will last or the organization that you have to buy new tires all the time with? To me it is simple the only people that dont want a tire rule are the people that are profitting from worn out tires.

1 member likes this post: TNR22
9/25/09, 7:14 PM   #34
HoosierDirt

the Weight rule... whats really bad about the weight rule with alcohol is 40 pounds heavier plus you go threw more fuel then gas at 7 lbs a gallon we run about 8 gallons in the tank in a feature go threw about 5 gallons so to maintain the weight rule you have to be 40lbs heavier at the end of the race so with the 40lbs and the 8 gallons thats 96 lbs at the start of the race with the burg being big you have to run more fuel which makes you way heavy at the beginning of the race we run the 1200 and dont have the power like the newer 1000cc motors but we have to weight 40lbs heavier ..i just didnt ever understand that its called a 1200 class but yet your pentilized for running the 1200.. where switching next year to the 1000cc ....... just havent decided which motor to run yet
Last edited by HoosierDirt; 9/25/09 at 7:18 PM.

9/25/09, 7:22 PM   #35
Phylo82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctd05 View Post
I dont understand how a tire rule is going to cost money if you go to a hard tire you will need 2 tires to race all season. The only reason you need 2 is in case you cut a tire during the race night. If you want to race with the other organization you have have 1 tire that is softer to race with them, but you have to buy a new tire with that organization every other race to be competitive. Now which organization are you going to spend the most money with to buy tires. The 1 with a hard spec tire that will last or the organization that you have to buy new tires all the time with? To me it is simple the only people that dont want a tire rule are the people that are profitting from worn out tires.
If they can come up with a good, hard tire rule that brings down costs I'd be all for it. We are not getting much use out of the soft RR Hoosiers, especially at tracks like Twin Cities and Moler. They are good for about one night (heat and feature), then I groove them and use them for one more heat race and they're done.

Chillicothe was one nice track.....we ran new tires at that track and they still looked brand new at the end of the night.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDirt View Post
the Weight rule... whats really bad about the weight rule with alcohol is 40 pounds heavier plus you go threw more fuel then gas at 7 lbs a gallon we run about 8 gallons in the tank in a feature go threw about 5 gallons so to maintain the weight rule you have to be 40lbs heavier at the end of the race so with the 40lbs and the 8 gallons thats 96 lbs at the start of the race with the burg being big you have to run more fuel which makes you way heavy at the beginning of the race we run the 1200 and dont have the power like the newer 1000cc motors but we have to weight 40lbs heavier ..i just didnt ever understand that its called a 1200 class but yet your pentilized for running the 1200.. where switching next year to the 1000cc ....... just havent decided which motor to run yet
I have been finding 05-06 GSXR1000s on eBay for $800 to $900 recently. I just bought a spare from a guy in Cleveland for $830.

Not sure if you run gas or alcohol but we have not had a problem with the GSXRs over-heating on gas.
#13e Maxim Sprint

9/28/09, 6:44 AM   #36
minisprintracing

I have also listened to that car all season and that is right from the **** pit of that minisprint. Have you ever heard of a REV LIMITER Phil? I gear my car so it hits the limiter 3/4 of the way down the straight away. Races are won through the corner not down the straight away. Get your car to go through the corner faster and you will have faster straight away speed! Oh and by the way all the races I won were on a Hoosier SP2 and a SP3 tire. The car is for sale so if you want the car after the race with the so called traction controll I will deliver it to Lawrenceburg this weekend for the $16,000 advertised price.

Thanks Don

9/28/09, 1:02 PM   #37
Phylo82

Thanks for the help Don but we are already geared that way.

As for your car, I'll take your word for it.....I am only repeating what a lot of other people (smarter than I am) are telling me.

Good luck selling the car.
#13e Maxim Sprint

9/28/09, 2:17 PM   #38
AP64

The only thing illegal about Don's car is his right foot. I heard he puts lead shot in his right shoe. Or was it that his foot is his traction control? Traction control on a mini-sprint, that has to be the funniest thing I have ever heard.

9/28/09, 2:41 PM   #39
Phylo82

Not funny according to the guys at the motorcycle shop up the street that tried to sell me a $2K system they use with their racing bikes. Not sure if it was described as 'traction control' per say or something else, but it seemed a little over the top for a motor I paid $900 for.

The simple solution to this kind or stuff, whether it is out there or not.....create some reasonable rules that will keep the playing field even and costs down. Then start inspecting the top 3 cars every race. If no one is putting big money into computerized engine systems we'll all know it and the track 'smack' will come to an end.

And FYI - while you are still finding that funny....go do a google search on GSXR1000 traction control.

Not afraid of what you're thinking or what you have to say.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Last edited by Phylo82; 9/28/09 at 3:01 PM.

9/28/09, 2:57 PM   #40
minisprintracing

Hey Phil. How about you buy my entire engine package for 3,500.00 after the Lawrenceburg race? That includes the traction control.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > amsa rules