IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > amsa rules
9/23/09, 10:18 AM   #1
amsa rules
suzuki756

why can the amsa not have a stock bore and stroke rule it makes no sense to me to let some cars have monster
motors,would it not be cheaper for all these racers to have 1 rule and not 3-4 for engine verse weight
i know stock engines are easy to get and are not real expensive so why not keep this sport alive and keep the cost down makes sense to me. money is already hard to get to go racing,keep it all simple stk bore and stroke and 1 weight easy and cheaper for everyone

9/23/09, 10:54 AM   #2
Re: amsa rules
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki756 View Post
why can the amsa not have a stock bore and stroke rule it makes no sense to me to let some cars have monster
motors,would it not be cheaper for all these racers to have 1 rule and not 3-4 for engine verse weight
i know stock engines are easy to get and are not real expensive so why not keep this sport alive and keep the cost down makes sense to me. money is already hard to get to go racing,keep it all simple stk bore and stroke and 1 weight easy and cheaper for everyone
No. Until car counts start suffering and a stock engine can't compete, let it be, and adjust the rules as needed.

9/23/09, 2:28 PM   #3
ringo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki756 View Post
I agree, the cost is going to keep going up on these motors and that is what cost us the car counts several years ago. Stock motors and go back to a spec right rear like we use to have.

9/23/09, 5:21 PM   #4
suzuki756

there will be less car count unless something is done,i also agree with a spec tire maybe one that can be run more than 1 night that would also cut some cost,good idea!!!! i for one will not race with them if something is not done
1200 are gone the class was made when most engines where 1200 now its 1000 not 1200cc fix it

9/23/09, 9:24 PM   #5
Mike M 67

Even if you make it a stock bore and stroke rule, Unless you do not allow alchohol conversion you will still need to have a different weight rule. After talking with racers that went from gas to alchohol, they all say that alchohol gives the car more take off power, as they say alchohol is much quicker. If you are going to make it a stock class, the motor needs to come out of a bike and put into the car the way it is on gas. (this is only an opinion)

9/23/09, 9:52 PM   #6
Bradleyracing86

From what I have seen this year the engines last alot longer on alky...

9/24/09, 12:45 AM   #7
mini27

i was on gas at the start of the year on alky now. making the cars add weight is a bad idea, my motor still stock so why should i add weight just because im on alky. now that said i want to see you try and keep a r1 on gas cool,lets see if you dont give up and put it on alky, but wait, you now have to add 40pounds,

9/24/09, 8:04 AM   #8
AP64

It's cheaper to run the motor on methanol. When you run them on gas, you have to run race gas and not regular pump gas. You can spend up to 8 dollars per gallon on race gas. Or you can buy methanol for 2.50 a gallon. As far as tires go, I am against any tire rule. The tires we run on our minisprint, we get 5 nights out of a right rear. A full season on the fronts, and half a season on the left rears. If a team wants to run a gumball right rear and replace it every night, have at it. As the race runs, they always fall back because they burnt the right rear off the car.

This is my opinion, on what needs to be done:

- Run them on methanol. It's cheaper, and safer. Must run fuel bladder.
- Stock bore and stroke. You finish in the top three, you get checked.
- No tire rule. Tire rules cost money. If you run with more than one organization, than you have to buy more tires.
- All cars 950lbs (with driver), this takes most of the light weight parts out of the game.
- 1000cc or 1200cc. If you look at the horsepower that the new (2004 and newer) 1000cc put out, they are better than any 1200cc.

9/24/09, 9:45 AM   #9
IanB

Guys something you may be interested in is the CLS out in California........................I think up til now they have had TEN different feature winners this year perhaps more I stopped counting. What that says to me is they have their rules right. I know there are several different powerplants being run 1200 and 1000, gas and alchohol.

I think they have an excellent blend of freedom allowing the racer to do as he chooses depending on his budget and driver/car weight but also allows those on less of a budget to still be capable of winning.

Their rules are available for viewing.

If a man speaks in the forest and their is no woman to hear him...............is he still wrong?
Last edited by IanB; 9/24/09 at 9:52 AM.

9/24/09, 10:50 AM   #10
Cincy Dirt Bowl

$2000 to convert to alky. The good thing is once you convert you can use them on future engines. You can get another engine off e-bay for less than a rebuild cost. A bladder tank isn't cheap either.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > amsa rules