IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > amsa rules
9/24/09, 11:15 PM   #21
Re: amsa rules
Phylo82

You'd be surprised how close setting up a Mini-Sprint is to setting up a Quarter-Midget. Actually, I learned a lot from QMs that car set-up and driver ability were much more important than a juiced motor.

I don't care how good the motor is, if the car isn't set up right for the driver it won't matter. Biggest thing I learned in QMs is that the driver has to be comfortable in the car the way he likes it.....not how someone else tells you the car should be set up.

We have done fine with a stock motor on gas.....my concern is the injection systems that are becoming available that are 3 times the cost of the motor I am running.

I am not sure who the guy from New York is or what he has under the hood but do we really want a car like that running in our league every race weekend? How long until that happens? I want to see drivers controlling the cars, not a computer system.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt
Last edited by Phylo82; 9/24/09 at 11:17 PM.

9/24/09, 11:19 PM   #22
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylo82 View Post
You'd be surprised how close setting up a Mini-Sprint is to setting up a Quarter-Midget. Actually, I learned a lot from QMs that car set-up and driver ability were much more important than a juiced motor.

I don't care how good the motor is, if the car isn't set up right for the driver it won't matter. Biggest thing I learned in QMs is that the driver has to be comfortable in the car the way he likes it.....not how someone else tells you the car should be set up.

We have done fine with a stock motor on gas.....my concern is the injection systems that are becoming available that are 3 times the cost of the motor I am running.

I am not sure who the guy from New York is or what he has under the hood but do we really want a car like that running in our league every race weekend? How long until that happens? I want to see drivers controlling the cars, not a computer system.
Phil, Hyper does alcohol conversions for $785. http://hyperracing.com/content.asp?id=3067

9/24/09, 11:43 PM   #23
Phylo82

Thanks....I'll take a look at that.
#13e Maxim Sprint

9/25/09, 12:04 AM   #24
mini27

Quote:

foz has a guy working for him that runs in are league who is one of the best in a mini, he has more time in a mini then most of the top 5 each week puttogeather. dosnt matter what he has in the car his seat time will show.

9/25/09, 12:05 PM   #25
AP64

The reason for methanol, other than gas is not safe for open wheel racing. You can't police gas the way you can methanol. There are too many variations of gasoline, and to many impurities. If Gas is the required fuel, I can guarantee that teams are going to go buy 8 dollar a gallon race gas. There is a major difference between pump gas, and race gas.

Also, why would you want to prevent teams from coming and running with AMSA. Someone stated the driver from NY, coming down. Hands down the guy knows his stuff, and he is good. That's a stock bore and stroke 1000cc motor in that car, with a methanol fuel system. No different than half the cars racing in AMSA. When you win a race, you know you beat the best.

Racing is a way to show your creativity, why take that away from the sport. There is always going to be someone spending more money than other team. Racing is a form of continuous improvement. You always have to do your best, and continue to improve to get faster. Because if you don’t, I promise you the other teams will. You can tell who's team puts time into the car during the week, and you can tell who's teams don't even clean the cars after a race. If you want to do better, you have to work for it. That is a fact of life.

Sorry for the novel I will get off of my soap box.

1 member likes this post: TNR22
9/25/09, 12:45 PM   #26
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP64 View Post
The reason for methanol, other than gas is not safe for open wheel racing. You can't police gas the way you can methanol. There are too many variations of gasoline, and to many impurities. If Gas is the required fuel, I can guarantee that teams are going to go buy 8 dollar a gallon race gas. There is a major difference between pump gas, and race gas.

Also, why would you want to prevent teams from coming and running with AMSA. Someone stated the driver from NY, coming down. Hands down the guy knows his stuff, and he is good. That's a stock bore and stroke 1000cc motor in that car, with a methanol fuel system. No different than half the cars racing in AMSA. When you win a race, you know you beat the best.

Racing is a way to show your creativity, why take that away from the sport. There is always going to be someone spending more money than other team. Racing is a form of continuous improvement. You always have to do your best, and continue to improve to get faster. Because if you don’t, I promise you the other teams will. You can tell who's team puts time into the car during the week, and you can tell who's teams don't even clean the cars after a race. If you want to do better, you have to work for it. That is a fact of life.

Sorry for the novel I will get off of my soap box.
This right here. Spot on with everything he said.

1 member likes this post: somebodysmam
9/25/09, 4:38 PM   #27
Phylo82

I have listened to that car and there is more under the hood then just a stock motor and fuel injection.....sounds like some sort of computerized traction control to me. A couple of other folks have told me they have heard the same thing.

There are plenty of systems out there that cost thousands of dollars that can improve the overall performance of the motor. I know, I have had the guys up at our local motorcycle shop try to sell me some and they are upwards of $2k or more.

That being said, I have no problem with cars running alcohol, methanol or gas....whatever people want to run, as long as the motor hasn't been modified. And as for the cost of racing fuel, I could buy a lot of $8/gallon fuel for the cost of switching my motor to Alcohol. Not that we do, we have run 93 all season.

I also don't see running gas as being that dangerous as long as you are running a good, safe fuel cell.

As for "creativity"......well, that's fine.....until the $$$$ involved run your average weekend racer right out of the sport. It's easy to be creative if you are willing to spend the money on it. I doubt most of you guys would be real happy if some 'creative' car owner with serious cash started winning every weekend.
#13e Maxim Sprint

9/25/09, 5:02 PM   #28
TNR22

Quote:
I have listened to that car and there is more under the hood then just a stock motor and fuel injection.....sounds like some sort of computerized traction control to me. A couple of other folks have told me they have heard the same thing.

There are plenty of systems out there that cost thousands of dollars that can improve the overall performance of the motor. I know, I have had the guys up at our local motorcycle shop try to sell me some and they are upwards of $2k or more.

That being said, I have no problem with cars running alcohol, methanol or gas....whatever people want to run, as long as the motor hasn't been modified. And as for the cost of racing fuel, I could buy a lot of $8/gallon fuel for the cost of switching my motor to Alcohol. Not that we do, we have run 93 all season.

I also don't see running gas as being that dangerous as long as you are running a good, safe fuel cell.

As for "creativity"......well, that's fine.....until the $$$$ involved run your average weekend racer right out of the sport. It's easy to be creative if you are willing to spend the money on it. I doubt most of you guys would be real happy if some 'creative' car owner with serious cash started winning every weekend.
Phil I don't want to get into a argument over safety, but any car without a bladder fuel cell is not safe. I know the cost alot but I feel it is a matter of time before something bad is going to happen with these plastic tanks with gasoline in them. I know there was a kid in Oklahoma two years ago that was burnt like 80% of her body, and I don't want to see that happen around here or anywhere. Tony

9/25/09, 6:07 PM   #29
Phylo82

We will probably move to alcohol next season depending on what Jerry decides to do rules-wise.
#13e Maxim Sprint

9/25/09, 6:24 PM   #30
Smitty

The girl that TRN22 is talking about was running on asphalt in a modified midget. It was not an upright mini sprint running on dirt.
The plastic tank, under the fiberglass tail cover is very safe, IN MY OPINION.
I have no trouble with my grandson driving a gasoline or alcohol car that does not have a bladder in the tank.
If you decide to get a bladder tank, remember that you can NOT use the same bladder for gas and alcohol.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > amsa rules