IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Will a full Containment seat help prevent bodily injuries?
YES a FC seat will help prevent bodily injuries 63 94.03%
NO a FC seat will not help prevent bodily injuries 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate
7/6/13, 12:15 AM   #21
Re: Full Containment Seat Mandate
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasster23 View Post
As mentioned earlier, open faced helmets were eventually banned and everyone was forced to buy a full faced helmet if you wanted to race. Same with roll cages, firesuits, gloves, and so on. Not open for discussion. Do it or don't show up. Surely we're not so short sighted that we can't learn from the past. Would anyone like to go run a cageless sprinter with goggles and wing tips shoes. Hell no you say? Well at one time there were a whole bunch of guys who did it every weekend and when the day came they were told they had to build a cage and buy a new helmet you think they were pissed? Hell ya they were, but looking back now doesn't seem really dang obvious it was the right decision? This is the same thing. I have a Butler Sprint Advantage seat in my car custom built to fit me and I can't ever see myself strapping in without one. A driver died from internal injuries where we race last year. It was pretty well determined it was due to a cheap Kirkey seat and belts that weren't tight enough. Do we need to continue down this path before the next major step in safety is implemented? We just need to make the obvious choice now so that when my grand kids talk to me about race cars in 30 years they can say "Who the hell would drive one of them things without a containment seat? That's crazy?!"

Posted via Mobile Device
Well said 23....that was the point I was trying to get across....most do not like change specially a mandated one!!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
7/6/13, 9:11 AM   #22
sw1911

Last edited by sw1911; 7/8/13 at 7:10 AM.

7/6/13, 10:22 AM   #23
Motormasher

So what your saying is, a full containment seat would have saved these 2 drivers lives?
Unbelievable

Posted via Mobile Device

7/6/13, 10:30 AM   #24
sprintracer82

Why is the focus always on the drivers and teams. Most tracks that I race at are not very safe. There is lots of small things that a track can do and not cost an arm and a leg. I crashed in canada a few weeks ago and it was one of the most unsafe tracks I have ever seen. They had rail road ties that was stood on end to hold up the dot steel gaurd rail. The ones that wasn't rotten were uneven in height.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/6/13, 10:51 PM   #25
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintracer82 View Post
Why is the focus always on the drivers and teams. Most tracks that I race at are not very safe. There is lots of small things that a track can do and not cost an arm and a leg. I crashed in canada a few weeks ago and it was one of the most unsafe tracks I have ever seen. They had rail road ties that was stood on end to hold up the dot steel gaurd rail. The ones that wasn't rotten were uneven in height.

Posted via Mobile Device
You knew how unsafe the track was yet you raced there anyway?

This is where the drivers should load up and go home. J.M.O.

Jerry

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jmo8, Joe Whisler, robert gatten, Spi-nex, TQ97, weirracing
7/7/13, 4:47 PM   #26
wright59

You guys have to remember, Ryan Leek is a legend in is own mind!

2 members like this post: racinnut9, weirracing
7/7/13, 11:15 PM   #27
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Enlighten of several injuries and 2 deaths within a 2 year time period the D-2 midgets and Southern States Mini/Micro Sprints have after quite a bit of intense study has determined necessary to mandate that ALL cars competing in the 2014 season must have an approved FULL CONTAINMENT seat...This will also be in effect for the 2014 Winternationals. I understand this will have a direct effect on all competitors but if it is not mandated most would not do it for their own safety. New seats are available from Butler Built, Kirkey, Ultra Shield and LaJoire from the price range of 450.00 to 1400.00. There are however MANY USED seats also out there from 300.00 to 600.00. Again I fully understand the expense of a seat but in an open **** pit race car I feel it is VERY necessary.
You didn't go quite far enough with the rap around seat rule. To make the racer even safer (just like NASCAR) rear view mirrors and spotters with radios in the stands should also be mandated to help with the loss of peripheral vision caused by the seats.

Honest Dad himself

7/8/13, 12:21 AM   #28
racephoto1

Ok, I'll step into the fray with this one. I am going to name names , and may offend some people , but with my unfortunate dealings with accidents at the track, I think I've earned the right.

Jason wasn't killed because he didn't have a containment seat. He was killed due to a mechanic's failure, either through leaving something loose on the car,, or lack of proper maintenance.Some people may be offended with this statement, but I'm old school.Something falls of the car and kills the driver, it's the mechanics fault.When I worked on race cars, nothing fell off one of mine. As for whether or not a containment seat would have protected him after the failure, I'd say yes, but there are no guarantees, though it would have increased his odds of survival. This is Jason at Tri State in April. Notice the seat.

IMG_7419 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr

The one I know where a containment seat would have made all the difference in the world is Arin MacIntosh. The accident she had at the Burg that night seemed so inconsequential that I didn't even pay attention. Was I wrong. She received a severe head injury , and if she had used a containment seat, she wouldn't have received one.

I just don't understand why drivers don't want to go toward safety , and rather run from it. Ask drivers who have head injuries if they wish they had the seat. Go see some whose head injuries are so severe they can't communicate, and ask yourself this,"Do I want to risk going through this, and do I want to put my family through it?" Oh, and also call Robbie Rice and check into STIDA, you may need to pay someone to change your diaper and wipe the food off your chin.

7/8/13, 1:48 AM   #29
treecitytornado

Amen, Chris! Why wouldn't a Sprint Car or Midget driver take advantage of every safety item out there!? Why would you modify something that Brian Butler designed a certain way for your safety? I personally think a Hybrid Pro or a R3 Head and neck restraint is much safer than a Hans for sprint car racing. JMO

Posted via Mobile Device

7/8/13, 3:21 AM   #30
Spi-nex

Not everyone wants to live to a ripe old age.... let them choose what they want to run. If they want to use a 5 gallon bucket and bailing twine.. go for it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate