IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Horse tracks?
6/4/13, 12:07 PM   #11
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Not disagreeing with what you say, but look at DuQuoin. That is one of the nicest horsetracks in the nation. It is more for racing cars now, but can still be used for horses.

Posted via Mobile Device

6/4/13, 12:15 PM   #12
Re: Horse tracks?
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...#United_States

I haven't read about the synthetic dirt too much for a few years, but this may be a track for these cars to race on if and when it is finished.
http://centralnewyorkracewaypark.com/

This article may explain the dirt a little better: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._donnelly.html

6/4/13, 3:16 PM   #13
Roy Bleckert

There was a 1 mile horse training track in Riverside Ca next to the Santa Ana River (IIRC the old Singletary place ) that was not being used last time I was by there ?

6/4/13, 4:24 PM   #14
Midget 89

[QUOTE=HardyBoysRacing;334431]Where in the united states are horse tracks 5/8 or a mile that are not currently on the Silver Crown schedule that could be used? Doing a little research and was curious if there were any in the central states.

Be careful. Most horse tracks don't come with catch fences. Safety and insurance could be a problem. Ran a midget on a fairgrounds track in Bay City, MI., without fencing. At the driver's meeting they ask us to run half throttle down the front stretch in front of the unprotected grandstands and open it up the rest of the way around. Worked for about one lap.

6/4/13, 6:20 PM   #15
Jonr

2 members like this post: griffithracing, Vukie
6/4/13, 6:34 PM   #16
Vukie

Wouldn't it be a better use of time in trying something to increase fan attendance and having more car owners at the races you already have,instead of worrying what new tracks the Silver Crown series can go to?

1 member likes this post: openwheelKT
6/4/13, 7:23 PM   #17
ISF

Del Mar, California has a 1 mile dirt track that is used for horse racing.

I don't know for sure, but the 1 mile dirt track at Sedalia, Missouri may still be there. I know they haven't raced on it in a long time but it might still be distinguishable as a racetrack.

6/4/13, 7:54 PM   #18
HardyBoysRacing

Race Count Last Year: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Wouldn't it be a better use of time in trying something to increase fan attendance and having more car owners at the races you already have,instead of worrying what new tracks the Silver Crown series can go to?
Like I said at the beginning of this thread I was just curious what tracks could be used for racing. As I have said over and over, I just want to see the series flourish as before. I think the series is heading in the right direction, and more fans and cars will come with time. Just my opinion. Maybe some people think supporters of the crown series are beating a dead horse...well I guess I will go down with the ship. I'll never stop loving these cars and supporting the series.

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: jjones752, Kansasdirtfan, openwheelKT, racephoto1
6/4/13, 10:15 PM   #19
johnnythunderhead
Banned

theres a nice 5/8th's mile dirt track at the trumbull county fairgrounds in n/e ohio that's been used for sprint car and big block modified racing/ has a nice spacious grandstands and was a racey track back in the 80's and 90's

there's a mile track at the fair grounds just eaST OF NEW ORLEANS (where they have jazz fest) which also has a nice spacious grandstands (I heard somewhere that the champ cars have run there mucho moons ago)

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 6/7/13 at 9:59 PM.

6/4/13, 11:07 PM   #20
racephoto1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardyBoysRacing View Post
Like I said at the beginning of this thread I was just curious what tracks could be used for racing. As I have said over and over, I just want to see the series flourish as before. I think the series is heading in the right direction, and more fans and cars will come with time. Just my opinion. Maybe some people think supporters of the crown series are beating a dead horse...well I guess I will go down with the ship. I'll never stop loving these cars and supporting the series.

Posted via Mobile Device
I'll be on the same ship.

The horse track's are a safety issue. When the Champ cars ran at Tulsa 8 or so years ago, they had to take down the inside rail. It was just a steel tube that would've impaled anyone who hit it. Those joints are built for horses that go 30 mph, not Champ cars going 160 mph. It would take a lot of work to do one right.

5/8 's would be nice though. Not too long to bring in other types of cars to run. Mod's, sprints, Late models. Twice a month only.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Horse tracks?