IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
HardyBoysRacing (Offline)
  #1 6/4/13 10:33 AM
Where in the united states are horse tracks 5/8 or a mile that are not currently on the Silver Crown schedule that could be used? Doing a little research and was curious if there were any in the central states.

Posted via Mobile Device
cmakin (Offline)
  #2 6/4/13 10:39 AM
We have a mile track down here in Houston . . .

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
mowerman (Offline)
  #3 6/4/13 10:46 AM
Sacramento
kdobson (Offline)
  #4 6/4/13 10:50 AM
Fairmont Park in Collinsville Illinois is a Mile. Right down the road from Gateway and Tri City. Para Mutual Windows in place. Illinois is legalizing everything else, might as well legalize champ car betting.
racen857 (Offline)
  #5 6/4/13 10:59 AM
Penn National race track in Pa. They used o race dirt cars on the track many years ago.

Penn National Speedway - Grantville, PA
(aka: Penn National Auto Track)
1/2-mile dirt oval (7/17/1971 - 9/1/1996)
The track is still located next to horse track.
turn4rob (Offline)
  #6 6/4/13 11:03 AM
havn't most horse tracks gone to artifical surfaces? I know out here in SoCal they have.

ROB
cmakin (Offline)
  #7 6/4/13 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by turn4rob:
havn't most horse tracks gone to artifical surfaces? I know out here in SoCal they have.

ROB
Good question. I believe that the one here is dirt, but I have never attended, just have seen it from the air when flying in and out of town.

Be sure to visit www.manvelmotorsports.com. 2024 Robert Ballou Calendars are available.
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #8 6/4/13 11:27 AM
Ellis Park , Henderson Ky. (i.e. Evansville)
Eric Smith (Offline)
  #9 6/4/13 11:48 AM
Hartford, MI?
DAD (Offline)
  #10 6/4/13 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by HardyBoysRacing:
Where in the united states are horse tracks 5/8 or a mile that are not currently on the Silver Crown schedule that could be used? Doing a little research and was curious if there were any in the central states.

Posted via Mobile Device

They aint gona let no race car near a track where they still race horses on. They are real particular about the surface where they let their $20,000,000 horses race on.

Dirt track operators might take a lesson on how they build these 4 lagged race tracks though. They install Drain tiles with many inches of gravel, then sand and finally a blend of special clay for the racing surface, A good horse track might have several feet of base before they ever install the racing surface. Then they spend extra money on keeping the track watered at all times.

One of the neatest race track that I ever attended was the old Louisville Down's. It was a Trotting track. It's racing surface was made of Limestone (pure white). USAC ran midgets there one time and I think the AMA had several bike races there. That white rooster tale was neat, but I'm not too sure what the drivers thought of it.

Honest Dad himself