IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Gold Crown "Road Course" testing.
10/3/08, 4:45 PM   #11
Re: USAC Gold Crown "Road Course" testing.
Seadog

I don't hate road racing nor am I in love with it either. I try to keep an open mind about it. Let's see how it works out before we chastise them for doing this.

By the way, I believe USAC has been in the road racing business off and on since about 1958. So this is not new to USAC. http://books.google.com/books?id=srJ...result#PPA8,M1

I think a guy like Brian Tyler mixing it up with a guy like Pablo Donoso on a road course would be pretty cool. Can you just imagine a driver that could get it done on short or long dirt ovals, short or long paved ovals, the high banks, as well as road courses? That's what I call a well-rounded driver.:thumb

10/3/08, 5:25 PM   #12
sprntr

I don't care what they do with the Gold Crown series as long as they quit screwing up the Silver Crown series!

10/3/08, 8:46 PM   #13
grinch

Oh USAC? :shout 2 wrongs still dont make a right :headbang :doh: :kookoo

10/6/08, 10:32 PM   #14
sc96

.As I understand it the goldcrown cars will run only tracks 1 mile and larger,Silvercrown will run dirt and 1 mile and smaller.How they are going to divide up the 1 mile pavement tracks I dont know.But my guess woud be it will depend on top speed at the end of the straightaways.One place might be Gateway in ST.louis,To fast for the silvercrown but would be ok for goldcrown.That is just one example i heard of.The Road test went excelent A.P said he was very satisfied with how the car ran.

10/6/08, 11:08 PM   #15
shocksurgeon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I don't hate road racing nor am I in love with it either. I try to keep an open mind about it. Let's see how it works out before we chastise them for doing this.

By the way, I believe USAC has been in the road racing business off and on since about 1958. So this is not new to USAC. http://books.google.com/books?id=srJ...result#PPA8,M1

I think a guy like Brian Tyler mixing it up with a guy like Pablo Donoso on a road course would be pretty cool. Can you just imagine a driver that could get it done on short or long dirt ovals, short or long paved ovals, the high banks, as well as road courses? That's what I call a well-rounded driver.:thumb
well rounded driver...hmm....that sounds like someone capable of racing with the irl , alms,and nascar.......maybe usac isnt so silly with this one.........let em race. id like to see steele, santos, pierce, and many many of our best pavement racers against some of the best road racers....whats wrong with that. i would go to eldora one day for a sprint car /midget race and a road course silver crown race the next. especially if it was at THE SPEEDWAY
Last edited by shocksurgeon14; 10/6/08 at 11:37 PM.

10/7/08, 9:24 AM   #16

Why don't they make a chromemoly tube-framed & carbon fiber-skinned indycar, using the silver crown motors, and create their own irl devolopment series? If too powerful, put restrictors in the stacks like ASCS 360's do for the 2 3/16" injection mandate. Wasn't there a series like this that tried to get started back in the early 90's? Then they could run at all the ovals and even road courses that the IRL runs at. Can you imagine the sound of a full field of Gaertes, Kistlers, etc.. for the Freedom 100 race at Indy blasting down the front stretch? Awesome!

10/7/08, 10:05 AM   #17
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBullet View Post
I'm probably the only one who loves road racing on this board, so I'll stick up for it...as I duck and cover b/c I'll probably catch ***** for liking it.

Some of the better sprint drivers enjoy road racing: Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Cole Whitt...just to name a few.

It's a pure form of racing, something very natural about pushing the limits where every corner is unique and as elevation changes. I particularly enjoyed racing with multiple classes (i.e. American LeMans).
:Steer:Steerdrastic closing rates, varying braking distances, traffic, numerous races within the greater race...I'm getting all worked up just thinking about it:kookoo
You are definately not alone in your road racing affection. I enjoy watching a good road race, but can't stand a one lane street course. I like to see passing, and a good road race has plenty, a one lane street course has virtually none. These cars on a road course could be pretty cool, but I don't know what the interest level would be. I would be interested, but I'm not likely to drive much farther than Indy to see them. What road racing venues are the in the midwest that would be suitable? Indy, Mid Ohio? I'm sure there are more, but none come to mind.

10/7/08, 2:05 PM   #18
Offy22

Who says you can't be all things to all people, certainly not USAC. They are becoming a jack of all racing and master of none.:kookoo

10/7/08, 4:03 PM   #19
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

I like it so much I think I will buy two or three of them. Anyone want to drive?

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!

10/7/08, 7:23 PM   #20
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offy22 View Post
Who says you can't be all things to all people, certainly not USAC. They are becoming a jack ofF all racing and master of none.:kookoo
Fixed that for you.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Gold Crown "Road Course" testing.